StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone,

I'm sorry in advance if this is a very stupid question, but I am getting lost somehow in the process of routing my subs via an iPad using UC Surface.

First, the setup: It's for a high school band program. We have a front ensemble of mallet instruments, synths, drums, dynamic mics, etc. We have a Yamaha PA system (2 mains, 2 subs) with two yamaha power amps. I ran the main outs of the RM32 to the top Amp, then ran Mix 1 to the sub amp. It was working just fine when I would choose Mix 1 (which I renamed Subs), then adjust the faders of each track to be sent into the sub amp. Then, today, I hooked up an Audix D6 into a concert bass (Kelly Shu suspension mount). I got line level, etc. I went to my sub mix, brought up the channel and nada… I see line level in the channel but somehow cannot get it to route to the Mix 1 output? I don't know what I'm doing wrong? I would flip back and forth from the Main Mix to the Sub mix and try adjusting levels but nothing would work? Can anyone help me out? I searched all over the manual, online, youtube videos, the works.. I called and waited for 40 minutes on hold for tech support only to get bumped to a voicemail in which I left the dubest sounding message on earth! I need some help! Anyone??
by christophermiller4 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:18 am
Maybe I didn't form my question well enough? I was hoping for some feedback. I need to run the system today and would like to get my Aux 1 working? Can anyone help me? Please?
by gbam55 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:51 am
What you are doing sounds ok although I'm wondering why you are not using the mono channel for output to subwoofers ?

Maybe something got updated automatically and you have for example the iPad at a release that requires firmware update to the mixer (this was recently necessary to include the CS18-AI). Maybe this helps ?

Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2, 16.0.2 (x2), Studiolive mobile, Mac mini i7 Quad core, 16GB, MacBook Pro 2012 (1T Ssd & with all the Ports you need) Studio One Professionnal. Mélodine editor, Fader Port, StudioLive RM32-AI, CS18-ai, KRK VTX4 monitors and KRK 10s.
KRK 10 3 monitors. Yamaha O1v, KRK rokit 10 3 monitors. RCF 725-II PA and RCF 325 stage monitors. Turbosound TQ425/455 DP PA.
by Djpauly on Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:25 am
A very easy was to trouble shoot this is to plug the Bass mic into one of the "working" channels that are routed to your "sub" mix.... ie AUX 1-16 .... you might not want to use the Mono out to the subs cause then Everything will run into your "sub mix" it is nice to be able to decide what inst. goes to the subs and fine tune the "thump" for just those inst. instead of the whole show.
Now if your getting sound in a previously working channel you could "copy" the settings to the channel you originally wanted.... if your getting no sound in that working channel then its from Mic cable to mic issue..... but at least you zone in on whats the problem..... hope that helps a bit.

RM32
Mac Min Server June 2013
Studio One 2 Professional
by matty6strings on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:25 pm
I run my subs off the mono out as well. I select which channels route to the mono out and use a high pass filter if required (say kick and floor tom) and cut lows if necessary for the likes of keys or whatever.

Curious to know if there is a better way. Pretty new to all of this myself.

M

15" MacBook Pro mid 2012, El Capitan, 4gig DDR3 ram, 500 Gig plus External 3 TB HD.
Presonus RM32ai, current Firmware, Current UC, Current Capture
Logic Pro9
Kemper Profiler amp user here!! :)
by drums.michael on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:31 pm
I don't use the Mono out as I can't adjust how much i want to send to the Subs wuthout affecting the whole Mix

Regarding your problem:
Is the Mix you are sending to the subs pre or post fader?

RM32AI
- MacBook Pro Retina i7 8gb
- 2U self built computer running MacOSX Mavericks (courtesy of tonymacx86.com) and Hannspree/Hanns-G Touchscreen (HT231HPG)

internals:
CPU: i7 4790K @4.0Ghz
RAM: 16GB 1866 DDR3
OS disk 128gb Samsung 840 SSD
storage: 2 2TB Seagate HDD 7200 rpm (2tb running RAID for speed plus 2x 1tb storage partitions)
Chenbro RM24100 Rackcase
CPU Cooler (due to height restrictions) Thermalright AXP-200 Muscle with offset Fan

UC Surface on Mac and iPad
Processing via Waves MultiRack & LiveProfessor2

My Homepage (still being built...)
by drums.michael on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:35 pm
Djpauly wrote...you might not want to use the Mono out to the subs cause then Everything will run into your "sub mix" ...

You do know that you can select if you want to route the signal to the Mono or not for each channel individually? It's toggled on by default, but if you don't want it to be routed to Mono just deselect it on each channel

RM32AI
- MacBook Pro Retina i7 8gb
- 2U self built computer running MacOSX Mavericks (courtesy of tonymacx86.com) and Hannspree/Hanns-G Touchscreen (HT231HPG)

internals:
CPU: i7 4790K @4.0Ghz
RAM: 16GB 1866 DDR3
OS disk 128gb Samsung 840 SSD
storage: 2 2TB Seagate HDD 7200 rpm (2tb running RAID for speed plus 2x 1tb storage partitions)
Chenbro RM24100 Rackcase
CPU Cooler (due to height restrictions) Thermalright AXP-200 Muscle with offset Fan

UC Surface on Mac and iPad
Processing via Waves MultiRack & LiveProfessor2

My Homepage (still being built...)
by michaelnicoloff on Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:07 pm
This is an interesting topic
When connecting the subs to the mono channel you don't seem to have as much control as using an aux mix
For example
Bass guitar:
Bass channel: gain set proper,main on,mon off
Eq roll off bottom end and maintain nice clean tone for top end
Then I will go to my aux channel for the sub and roll off top end so for separation
Overall tone sound clean with right aux sub level to taste

If any of you have a better way....please let me know

Cheers
Mike
by wahlerstudios on Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:39 am
There are two modes for the mono mains fader: LR (left/right) and LCR (left/center/right). Go to the settings page, in the second line under "Device Display Mode" you find "Pan Mode". If you switch to LCR, the single fader is renamed to "Center". Using the mono sum as additional fill is probably the main purpose for it. Using it for bass subs is not really comfortable, it works - more or less.

From a musical point of view using "aux subs" makes way more sense, because by its separate mix you can follow and accentuate the music. And it allows you to choose the events for the low frequencies. Guitars and vocals share no frequencies with bass subs.
by michaelnicoloff on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:48 pm
thx wahlerstudios !!

10 posts
Page 1 of 1