StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
43 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3
drums.michael wroteoh my ^^ *facepalm*

nevermind then ;)

Thanks

We are all getting excited about all the new gear options. Totally understand.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by dougwatson on Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:58 pm
jspring wrote
Come on Presonus, your marketing department is pretty good about emailing registered owners of your equipment all sorts of advertisements and announcements, when will start to notify registered equipment owners of new updates and upgrades?

agreed, or at least notify via newsletter. maybe via opt-in or opt-out but nevertheless a notification variant of some sorts would be nice and greatly appreciated :)

Btw: a newsgroup or newsletter regarding Dante and/or FW update would be great :)

As mentioned above, this was not announced yet because it technically wasn't ready yet without the iPad app in the App store. The plan was to do the marketing push once that's available, which I believe was going to include emails to registered product owners.

OK my comment on email notification of new releases still holds. In 3.5 years of owning registered equipment, I have NEVER received a single firmware or software release notification. I get tons of marketing emails from Presonus. Regardless of whether the "official release" was yesterday or three days from now, based on past performance, I fully expect to NOT receive any email notification of it. How hard is it to automatically send an email to registered owners of equipment when modifications are available for that equipment?

BTW, I absolutely love my RM32. Best sounding mixer I've used yet.

StudioLive 24.4.2 StudioLive RM32AI MacBookPro OSX 10.8.5 Mac Mini OSX 10.9.5 (In Rack Case with the RM)
by seanbrown2 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:28 pm
Ok so I resized to full screen and the PEQ is there.
as I said before why is it that every firmware update has some new quirk . or other bug .
I have some sort of issues or learning curve with every firmware update.
It also seems strange that every firmware seems to require a new and different method of installing/updating.

At this point my confidence in Presonus is starting to slip. the folks at presonus have some great ideas but the execution is lacking form an end user point of view. the first couple time you can post how difficult it is to get it all right . But that just sounds like excuses to me anymore. I have said it before and I will say it again I PAID $ 2000.00 FOR A SPOT ON THE PRESONUS BETA TESTER/PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT TEAM.

I was planning on buying a CS18AI but at this point I will have to seriously consider making that leap. my confidence in Presonus is the lowest it has ever been. I am not sure I want to give them anymore of my hard earned money
Last edited by seanbrown2 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last year traded up my 3 firepod pod chain for a RM32AI. just added CS18AI And I am LOVING IT!. The Home Studio set up. Home built. Amd fx 8350 8 core 4400 Mhz liquid cooled. Asus M5A99X-EVO R2 MotherBoard, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix 1866mhz Ram, 120 GB Intel SSD , 1TB Seagate HDD, 4TB HGST NAS HDD, 500 GB Seagate HDD. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, SiiG DP FireWire 800 3 port PCIe card, tripple monitors 27 inch Asus Monitor / 2 24 Asus inch monitors , Studio one 3 pro, RM32Ai firewire to pc, QSC RMX 2450, RMX 1450, RMX 850. Furman RP-8D power conditioner. Audix Microphones. PDP Platinum Series Drums
by stingray1122 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:36 pm
In regards to the Dante card mentions, we just approved them to ship today and mass production begins next week. We'll be shipping some via air instead of boat to get them to folks quicker.

RayT
Sr Product Manager
PreSonus
by drums.michael on Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:03 pm
Ok, just tried something and hence: 1 bug (maybe), 2 questions and 2 feature request:

bug: when in 96kHz mode I can't access EQ/Dyn and Smaart RTA etc. on the mains. There's just a blank screen when selecting the main out.
BUT when I'm at 44.1 or 48k turn on RTA or just stay on that screen and THEN going to settings and switch to 88.2/96k it's still there when settings are closed and shows data/values and I can use the EQ and DYN section.
Bug or Feature?

Feature requests i came across when fiddeling with the above:
1) Option to choose between ethernet/wifi or Firewire/Dante connection in the splash screen of UC app.
Depending on what I need I might choose FW over Ethernet but i can only force the app to use FW when disconnecting Ethernet (and the other way 'round), launching the app and then reconnecting when in the App.
Kind of annoying especially when wanting to use Smaart whilst on an Ethernet connection but FW cable plugged in but it's not being used. (or add a feature that let's you use Smaart via FW even though main control is happening over LAN)

2) when using 88.2 or 96 i understand that the internal DSPs cannot be used. BUT could you please make it that the sends (e.g. Waves MultiRack) are still enabled, just that they don't point to any internal FX?

And finally the 2 questions:
1) (in direct relation to feature req 1) When Dante is going to be used with the RMs and I choose not to use FW for Interfacing, will I be able to use smaart (over Dante)?

2) You guys have recommended the TP Link Router TL-WR1043ND (http://support.presonus.com/entries/22338274) and I was wondering if you guys ran the unit through it's paces as a Dante switch?
If so will I be able to use it or do I need to add an additional "PreSonus/Dante approved" switch to the Network?

Apologies for the long and in part OT post. I'll be happy to start a new thread and/or add certain questions in other Threads.

Many Thanks in advance :)

Cheers

Michael

RM32AI
- MacBook Pro Retina i7 8gb
- 2U self built computer running MacOSX Mavericks (courtesy of tonymacx86.com) and Hannspree/Hanns-G Touchscreen (HT231HPG)

internals:
CPU: i7 4790K @4.0Ghz
RAM: 16GB 1866 DDR3
OS disk 128gb Samsung 840 SSD
storage: 2 2TB Seagate HDD 7200 rpm (2tb running RAID for speed plus 2x 1tb storage partitions)
Chenbro RM24100 Rackcase
CPU Cooler (due to height restrictions) Thermalright AXP-200 Muscle with offset Fan

UC Surface on Mac and iPad
Processing via Waves MultiRack & LiveProfessor2

My Homepage (still being built...)
by drums.michael on Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:18 am
Also: the new UC App has "open at login" set as default (had the same on 2 separate systems) and opens on each reboot/logon unless the open at login is unchecked in the dock. this goes for Mac OS X Mavericks at least but me thinks quite possibly for all Mac Os

Can anybody else confirm this?

RM32AI
- 2U self built computer running MacOSX Mavericks (courtesy of tonymacx86.com) and Hannspree/Hanns-G Touchscreen (HT231HPG)

internals:
storage: 2 2TB Seagate HDD 7200 rpm (2tb running RAID for speed plus 2x 1tb storage partitions)
Chenbro RM24100 Rackcase
CPU Cooler (due to height restrictions) Thermalright AXP-200 Muscle with offset Fan

by jspring on Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:41 pm
Ok, just tried something and hence: 1 bug (maybe), 2 questions and 2 feature request:

bug: when in 96kHz mode I can't access EQ/Dyn and Smaart RTA etc. on the mains. There's just a blank screen when selecting the main out.
BUT when I'm at 44.1 or 48k turn on RTA or just stay on that screen and THEN going to settings and switch to 88.2/96k it's still there when settings are closed and shows data/values and I can use the EQ and DYN section.
Bug or Feature?

This is correct. When you're in HD Sample rate mode (88.2 or 96k), some things are disabled due to the extra processing overhead. This includes two FX buses, B and D, and the Fat Channel on all Outputs, so no Fat Channel on Main, Mono, or Auxes.

Since there's no EQ on the Outputs in s HD mode, there's also no Smaart.

HD mode is primarily a studio recording feature, as there aren't really any reasons or benefits you get from it in a live sound application.

Feature requests i came across when fiddeling with the above:
1) Option to choose between ethernet/wifi or Firewire/Dante connection in the splash screen of UC app.
Depending on what I need I might choose FW over Ethernet but i can only force the app to use FW when disconnecting Ethernet (and the other way 'round), launching the app and then reconnecting when in the App.
Kind of annoying especially when wanting to use Smaart whilst on an Ethernet connection but FW cable plugged in but it's not being used. (or add a feature that let's you use Smaart via FW even though main control is happening over LAN)

There is actually already an improvement ticket logged to address this precise concern. It's not exactly as you've requested, but it would prioritize network control over Firewire, as network gives better performance. The result being that Firewire would only be used for control or Capture Sync and the like if it's the only connection option available.

2) when using 88.2 or 96 i understand that the internal DSPs cannot be used. BUT could you please make it that the sends (e.g. Waves MultiRack) are still enabled, just that they don't point to any internal FX?

I'm not sure I follow exactly. If you mean the internal FX buses, two of them can be used and two are disabled.

I think I follow what you're asking though. Are you using some of the Auxiliary Firewire Inputs 33-52 to send FX Bus mixes to Waves Multirack, to act as an external FX processor for the entire FX bus mix?

The only use case I'd ever encountered with Waves Multirack was always as a way to do individual insert effects on each channel. I like the idea of using it as an FX bus processor though. Cool.

And finally the 2 questions:
1) (in direct relation to feature req 1) When Dante is going to be used with the RMs and I choose not to use FW for Interfacing, will I be able to use smaart (over Dante)?

Currently, as it works now, no, I don't believe that's possible. It could be due to the increased latency of Dante over Firewire, but I'm not sure. It's also possible that it might could be made to work at some point though, so I can't say for sure.

The problem is that the Smaart analysis is built into the Universal Control AI software on the computer. The mixer is then connected as an audio interface for the computer, via firewire, and it can send and receive its audio information to and from Universal Control AI and the Smaart module.

If you had a Dante card in a mixer, and had that connected to a computer over the network, the mixer is no longer an audio interface for the computer. The mixer is a Dante device on the network, and the computer's audio interface is actually Dante Virtual Soundcard.

Universal Control AI and the Smaart software can't work with just any audio interface, so they can't work with Dante Virtual Soundcard. Thus UC-AI requires a mixer connected via firewire in order to enable its Smaart component.

2) You guys have recommended the TP Link Router TL-WR1043ND (http://support.presonus.com/entries/22338274) and I was wondering if you guys ran the unit through it's paces as a Dante switch?

If so will I be able to use it or do I need to add an additional "PreSonus/Dante approved" switch to the Network?

It was used as a router in our test lab, but it was not methodically tested and qualified on its own, hence the reason it's just a "recommended" router, i.e. one we have some experience with.

It was not tested with Dante though. Any requirements for Dante come from the makers of the technology, Audinate, so I'd say it's best to refer to what they specify.

According to Audinate, simple setups can and likely will work with regular off the shelf consumer routers, but for more complex setups, especially ones employing multicast Dante streams, a managed switch of some sort is recommended, so that the network can be optimized for Dante.

Also: the new UC App has "open at login" set as default (had the same on 2 separate systems) and opens on each reboot/logon unless the open at login is unchecked in the dock. this goes for Mac OS X Mavericks at least but me thinks quite possibly for all Mac Os

Can anybody else confirm this?

Yes. This was a change made recently in preparation for upcoming products. It defaults to Open at Login, but it can be turned off.
by jspring on Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:57 pm
ATTENTION:

A newer version of UC Surface 1.4 was posted to the web and to user accounts earlier today, and it resolves the bug reported here where the Main and Mono EQ controls were not displayed at the medium window size.

Given that the initial release was intentionally not announced in lieu of having UC Surface 1.4 available on the app store, and given that this version was only live for roughly 24-48 hours, UC Surface 1.4.0.34634 was removed and replaced by UC Surface 1.4.0.34686.

Thanks to all for your patience and understanding, and help in getting this reported and fixed so quickly.

Cheers guys,
by seanbrown2 on Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:30 pm
Thanks for the quick fix guys . And I also want to apologize and say I am sorry for my frustration driven outburst in this post.

Last year traded up my 3 firepod pod chain for a RM32AI. just added CS18AI And I am LOVING IT!. The Home Studio set up. Home built. Amd fx 8350 8 core 4400 Mhz liquid cooled. Asus M5A99X-EVO R2 MotherBoard, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix 1866mhz Ram, 120 GB Intel SSD , 1TB Seagate HDD, 4TB HGST NAS HDD, 500 GB Seagate HDD. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, SiiG DP FireWire 800 3 port PCIe card, tripple monitors 27 inch Asus Monitor / 2 24 Asus inch monitors , Studio one 3 pro, RM32Ai firewire to pc, QSC RMX 2450, RMX 1450, RMX 850. Furman RP-8D power conditioner. Audix Microphones. PDP Platinum Series Drums
by drums.michael on Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:52 am
Hi,

first of all Thank you for taking the time and effort to reply! Much appreciated!

Since there's no EQ on the Outputs in s HD mode, there's also no Smaart.

this gave me an idea as well: Smaart on the GEQs would be helpful especially for ringing out Monitor Wedges. GEQ is available in HD mode so that would solve that as well

Which brings me to another thing: A couple of companies have incorporated RTA capabilities in their iPad app. Extra nice for ringing out monitors when on stage. It doesn't need to be a Smaart RTA just make use of the internal iPad Mic for simple RTA. That would make a lot of guys happy I think as it would make ringing monitors that much easier and faster (saved me a ton of time when working on a local venue's LS9 via iPad when I was on my last tour)

HD mode is primarily a studio recording feature, as there aren't really any reasons or benefits you get from it in a live sound application.

Well I found when A/B'ing that 96k sounds better. Granted the difference is more in the "splitting hairs" area but I came to like it better than 44.1 when mixing FoH.

There is actually already an improvement ticket logged to address this precise concern. It's not exactly as you've requested, but it would prioritize network control over Firewire, as network gives better performance. The result being that Firewire would only be used for control or Capture Sync and the like if it's the only connection option available.

It would be nice if Smaart would be available via firewire if both FW and LAN were connected. Any chance this could be implemented?

I'm not sure I follow exactly. If you mean the internal FX buses, two of them can be used and two are disabled.

I think I follow what you're asking though. Are you using some of the Auxiliary Firewire Inputs 33-52 to send FX Bus mixes to Waves Multirack, to act as an external FX processor for the entire FX bus mix?

Exactly! Pretty much like a fancy Aux send w/o hardwired outputs. Gives me the chance to mute the FX sends on UC. Quite nice and handy

The only use case I'd ever encountered with Waves Multirack was always as a way to do individual insert effects on each channel. I like the idea of using it as an FX bus processor though. Cool

Thank you :)
I even go as far as routing Main LR to MultiRack for their GEQ and using SSL Comp or L2 on the main out. Have to route it to channel returns and then to Aux Outs as the main outs aren't accessible as returns but it works :)

But the main reason I asked was because I use H-Delay and Waves Reverbs. Routing it via the RM FX busses gives me the chance to mute the send even when operating via iPad ;)

Hence the question to disable the internal FX engine but not the ability to send/route signal to e.g. MultiRack when using HD sampling rates.
An idea to solve this would be not disabling the whole FX B and D (buttons disappear) but to only disable the FX engine and replace the FX interface with a text stating that it cannot be used for internal FX processing but for routing only. Pretty much using it as an "internal Aux" if you follow.

It was not tested with Dante though. Any requirements for Dante come from the makers of the technology, Audinate, so I'd say it's best to refer to what they specify.

According to Audinate, simple setups can and likely will work with regular off the shelf consumer routers, but for more complex setups, especially ones employing multicast Dante streams, a managed switch of some sort is recommended, so that the network can be optimized for Dante.

I read up on the Audinate FAQs and such but it would be interesting/nice to know if the TP link device could pull it off. And since you guys have it available I thought you guys might have done that just out of curiosity since the router is a recommended one anyways.

Yes. This was a change made recently in preparation for upcoming products. It defaults to Open at Login, but it can be turned off.

I'll be honest: it pissed me off when it started by itself after reboot. I don't like when applications start up at login without having asked me if I wanted that.
It would be great if it's not set it a s a default or at least the user is asked during installation if UC should start at login or not.

Again Thanks for taking the time to respond and all the work you do! :)

Cheers

Michael

RM32AI

internals:
Chenbro RM24100 Rackcase

by shaneboaden on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:03 am
These continued issues that come with new firmware or software and the long list of issues from months and months ago is the reason why I'm buying an x32 rack and going to put the RM in case for hibernation until they can sort a bunch of stuff out
by seanmcdaniel on Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:24 am
UC Surface 1.4.0.34634 was removed and replaced by UC Surface 1.4.0.64686

I STILL SEE THE OLD ONE 1.4.0.34634
by seanbrown2 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:36 pm
It is actually 34686 and not 64686 . But I is Presonus and apparently they are not very good with details . v34686 does address the issue of no PEQ on mid sized screen

by shaneboaden on Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:01 pm
yes i just went to download and there is no version 64686 on their downloads site.

I have also found 2 new bugs with this release in FX when select the mixer tab and select through A B C D it shows reverbs on all fx slots where it should be showing delays in C D

Also the DCA faders on windows are missing the line down the centre of the fader that is showing on the macbook version
by mondinga on Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:48 pm
Decided to install the latest UC surface for Mac today and test with my RM32AI. I'm getting the CS18AI next week and I want to be ready for it.

Mac OS Yosemite 10.10.5

UC Surface downloaded and installed fine 1.4.34886 (Built on Aug 27 2015). The RM pulled up without having to install the firmware update. I did notice that the safe mode 1 was on the initial launch screen. I don't know what the different modes me.

I followed the steps on the video.

1. Log in and DL the latest firmware, then extract to USB thumb drive that has previously been formatted to FAT32. This worked fine and was done on 550MB or so drive.

2. Power of RM, remove power cable, remove option card.

3. Power on RM with USB drive inserted. Watch the ambers lights until done. This worked. Power off unit.

4. Remove power cable, reinsert option card. Replace firewire 800 cable & power on unit. I get a flashing blue light on the from of RM.

5. Launch RM from Universal control AI. I get a little progress circle and that is where I am stuck. My next step is to try the recovery again. I thought this would work flawlessly. /-:

Any tips? :reading:
by drums.michael on Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:47 pm
The iOS App has not been updated and seems like some people have issues.

Try connecting via PC/MAC and/or reset your iOS device by pressing and holding standby & home button at the same time and keep pressed until you see the white apple logo on reboot

iOS App has been submittes for approval end if last week but Apple hasn't cone through yet...

GL!!

RM32AI

internals:
Chenbro RM24100 Rackcase

by mondinga on Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:24 pm
So I ran the update a second time with the same USB drive and it didn't work.

I formatted a second thumb drive, which is a Sandisk 8Gb model in Fat32 mode. I ran through the same process that I mentioned above. This time, I got a solid blue light, but it took a bit to come up. Then I launched the UC AI software and it showed the little progress circle. I was worried that it was going to fail again, but it did get further than the previous two attempts.

This time while it was doing the progress circle, the same LED's that lit up in yellow on the RM did so, going from left to right, while the blue LED flashed. Eventually I got a red LED and the UC loaded. Now I have the UC up and the LED is solid blue. Thank god!
by cor-e on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:01 pm
This is bleep...!!!

RM16Ai, MAC Mini, Yosemite 10, 1818vsl, Audio Box 22, Line 6 AMPLIFi, Logic X,
by cor-e on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:04 pm
You can bleep me all you want but I would be embarrased if I did such shoddy work.

RM16Ai, MAC Mini, Yosemite 10, 1818vsl, Audio Box 22, Line 6 AMPLIFi, Logic X,
by Dale Christenson on Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:21 pm
I will wait for the updates to catch up before committing my RM32 to this. I will be patient with Presonus as they work out the details. I appreciate their spirit and tenacity to get things done.

I think all of you should just wait until the word is out before you bad mouth the product. I have been in this game since 2009 with the now classic 16.4.2 and the updates will catch up. JUST BE PATIENT.

I cannot afford to have a paper weight sitting in my rack with shows booked, I wonder when you all will "get it".

Sound 4-U! reinforcement and mobile recording serving Tulsa and surrounding areas.
Dale Christenson

StudioLive RM32ai
StudioLive RML32ai
CS18ai
MOTU AVB switch
ULT15 x6
ULT18 x2
SL AI328 speakers x4
StudioLive 16.4.2 classic
Windows 8.1 SSD computer with UC Surface, Capture2, and StudioOne2 Producer

43 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3