StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
16 posts
Page 1 of 1
Today I had a wifi disaster downstairs. Briefly, thanks to the immensely stupid Apple Airport software, I had to reset all my wifi stations. This seemed to adversely affect the StudioLive Airport Express and it took quite a few goes to get the Macbook connected to the unit. So I finally open the UI surface and all the RM16 settings are gone. So I go to backups and load the most recent backup and the result is the same. Boy, this is great. I am a drummer and I had multiple mix setups, 14 microphones - this is major. Anything I can do here? Why don't the backups work?
by bjmccaskil on Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:19 pm
Same problem, several times. Never did figure out why. Same luck with ?backups?.
by stingray1122 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:17 pm
We experienced a similar thing at our Church installation with an RM32 and Linksys router. We were having severe thunder storms so I thought it was related to the power.

After shutting everything down and rebooting later in the day everything came back up just the way I left it.

I'll make sure support/QA are looking into this.

RayT
Sr Product Manager
PreSonus
by jspring on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:46 pm
Just to clarify...

Doing a mixer Backup only saves your Scenes, Fat Channel/FX/GEQ presets, Mute Groups and Quick Scenes. It does not save the current state-settings of the mixer. To save that in a backup, you must save it as a Scene first, either in the Scene menu as a named Scene, or in a Quick Scene slot.
by paulkneipp on Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:43 pm
I used a scene recall and got some settings back i.e. the channels in use and the EQ settings and the groups. All the names of the channels were gone and I couldn't change them in Windows. I can on the Mac. All the input levels are gone. Thank God I noted down the lead vocal setting or I would be really upset. Now I have to do all the other input gain settings. This is not good. I don't want to have to worry about this. I think this needs looking at ASAP please.
by bjmccaskil on Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:57 am
Doing a mixer Backup only saves your Scenes, Fat Channel/FX/GEQ presets, Mute Groups and Quick Scenes. It does not save the current state-settings of the mixer. To save that in a backup, you must save it as a Scene first, either in the Scene menu as a named Scene, or in a Quick Scene slot.

I know this is true and am careful not to be burnt anymore by not saving scenes. But why? All current settings are saved or they would not be there when the RM is powered down and back up - so why not include current settings in the backup/restore file?

Or avoid aggravating new and otherwise delighted RM users off by putting a very clear warning about this unexpected characteristic in the manual.

But I would still like to know Why Not include current settings in the backup?
by summitcn on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:21 am
I was running the RM32 last night with an iPad and all was good for the first hour or so, but the iPad suddenly lost connection. The app didn't lock up. All of the metering went to 0 and the controls on the app still moved, but no control over the mixer. I double tapped the home button and swiped up on UC Surface to completely close it. Started it up again, and it still could not connect. I tried this several times.... nothing.

Next I completely closed the app again (double-tap home method), and went into the settings and turned off WiFi and waited a few seconds, and then turned it back on. I re-launched UC Surface and viola! It worked!

Not sure what happened, but wanted to share this way to get it back on the iPad without having to restart anything. The router is a mid-level business router (Fortigate 60D w/Wifi onboard), and is solid, so I knew that it didn't need to be restarted.

-Scott
by stingray1122 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:50 am
A quick update on my situation.

We've had a couple more rehearsals and then Sunday service since the issue I reported. There have been no problems. After speaking with the sound crew they think what they experienced was related to bad wi-fi connection following a Windows 8 update that was done on the computer. They had the IT guy roll back to the version of Windows 8 prior to the last update and so far so good. They've now turned automatic updates off.

Also, we are planning to upgrade the router. It's a very old Linksys and according to the wi-fi analysis app we tried, the more powerful wi-fi system with several extended access points that runs the internet and non-AV systems is stepping on the AV system wi-fi a lot. We've never had connection issues downstair with the iPad mini but upstairs at FOH we take some hits. We're also going to run a hardwired ethernet connection to FOH for the Windows 8 computer.

Regarding the current settings being saved in the backup. I've added a feature request for our developers to see if we can do this in an update.

RayT
Sr Product Manager
PreSonus
by Dale Christenson on Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:11 pm
Ray,
I would like to know what application you're using to analyze your wireless surroundings. What's the best one for this purpose?

Sound 4-U! reinforcement and mobile recording serving Tulsa and surrounding areas.
Dale Christenson

StudioLive RM32ai
StudioLive RML32ai
CS18ai
MOTU AVB switch
ULT15 x6
ULT18 x2
SL AI328 speakers x4
StudioLive 16.4.2 classic
Windows 8.1 SSD computer with UC Surface, Capture2, and StudioOne2 Producer
by stingray1122 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:26 pm
We used an app recommended by another user called WiFi Analyzer for Android (we had to bring in a Samsung tablet). https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... yzer&hl=en

RayT
Sr Product Manager
PreSonus
by paulkneipp on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:07 am
Ok, deep breath, thanks Ray. I did a full reset and then a scene restore got 50% settings back. Still a heck of a lot of wasted time. Please do ask the developers about the backups. A backup, since it's a file that can be transported, should be a complete restore on compatible hardware. That's what I think most users would expect.
by jerryrauch on Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:42 pm
I don't know what if anything was different about setting up this time, the router and mixer were up and running before I started by computer with a firewire connection and everything but the settings not the first two channels was gone. I thought that since I used the iPad the last time i used the mixer maybe that had something to do with it so I shut down the computer, fired up the iPad to only see the same thing. I turned off the mixer and the iPad and restarted and go the same thing. What really annoyed me was when I restored the last settings, I couldn't see any noticeable change in the settings.

How can I save and restore with an RM16?
by wahlerstudios on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:46 pm
Do I understand you right that settings were gone, except channels 1 and 2 and recalling the scene did not bring back the original settings? Then I guess that NOTHING has been saved in the scene OR the "scene filters" have been deactivated when recalling/reloading the scene. Sometimes it happens that settings get changed, especially when you use an iPad, but IF they are stored, you will always get them back.

"How can I save and restore with an RM16?"

You find an answer in the "StudioLive Software Reference Manual-EN_V6_210220171" section 5.5.5, but I would like to add two tips:

1) Always watch out the "scene filters" and their selection. Make sure that everything is stored/recalled what you need. With a RM mixer simply store EVERYTHING. Normally there is no reason to deselect any of the options.

2) Store your scene on the MIXER (left) and LOCAL (right). I mean, store them separately left AND right under the same name...! "Local" should be your computer, but can also be your iPad. Storing the scene on your mixer should always have priority, computer or iPad serve more as backup or archive of scenes. And remember to keep the stored versions identical.

Don't do this automatic backup thing. It saves ALL scenes and presets and whatever is stored "inside" the mixer. It is more a "general status" of the mixer, and not specific settings which you might want to recall later.
by Friedhelm on Sun May 07, 2017 1:00 pm
i'm afraid i ran into the same issue today. yesterday i set up my rm16 for today's service. i also changed some settings on my dlink DIR645 .
Then i unpowered the mixer to get ready for traveling to the venue. At the venue all settings were gone. luckily i could load the prepared scene, except the Filter DCAs.
I hope that helps to get the problem solved, i will try to recreate the issue for further informations.

SL1602
RM16AI
Nowsonic stage router
StudioOne pro2
mac book pro 2009
ipad4
db technologies DVX 10(2x), DVX8(4x)
db technologies S08(2x)

https://www.waves.com/r/bqvxon
by gbam55 on Sun May 07, 2017 3:25 pm
My understanding is that all settings are saved in the backup on the device from where it was run. So if you run a uc surface backup on pc then your backup will be there. Idem mac. I always make a backup before and after any changes especially before a gig. Moreover if it is not essential don't change anything before a gig.

Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2, 16.0.2 (x2), Studiolive mobile, Mac mini i7 Quad core, 16GB, MacBook Pro 2012 (1T Ssd & with all the Ports you need) Studio One Professionnal. Mélodine editor, Fader Port, StudioLive RM32-AI, CS18-ai, KRK VTX4 monitors and KRK 10s.
KRK 10 3 monitors. Yamaha O1v, KRK rokit 10 3 monitors. RCF 725-II PA and RCF 325 stage monitors. Turbosound TQ425/455 DP PA.
by wahlerstudios on Sun May 07, 2017 4:20 pm
Quote from the Release Notes of UC Surface 2: "Known Issues for UC Surface 2.0.x: AI/RM Mixers: Restoring a Mixer Backup over Firewire is not possible. Must be done over Network connection."

You should be aware of this problem. A backup might be a god thing, but you need to be able to recall it under all circumstances. Therefore I always recommend the "store twice method", which is storing your scene equally on the mixer and on the "local" device (computer or iPad). This increases your chances tremendously in times of trouble... ;-)

As this thread says " RM16 lost all settings after wifi reset", changes in network settings are critical. At least you need to check them and not just hope that everything will play as usual. If you have checked it five times and it works solid, only then you're good to go... :thumbup:

16 posts
Page 1 of 1