StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi, As you can see from above I am having problems with my system, had it all connected up and working. introduced a Fishman triple play into the mix and it seems that since then I have the hiss I cant get rid of on 31/32 also the Cs18 does not function as the audio pass through and control the RML16 audio wise, I have taken the AVB Switch out of the picture and done direct connect from CS18 to the RML 16 with a cat 5 also tried the dongle setup in CS and RML connecting wirelessly with UC Surface then connecting with cat 5 same problem, so with the AVB Switch out of the picture its either the CS 18 or the RML 16 giving the problem, I also am not sure if it was the Fishman that caused it (I wouldn't have thought so) it was prob a coincidence, The CS works fine as a midi controller controlling Studio one but it does not want to do audio, I plug my headphones in to the RML and it works just with this hiss on 31/32, hope this is clear enough for you tech-heads to solve it for me if not I will post a video of the action, I was going to take the card out of the RML and do a reset, but was going to see if I was doing or not doing something stupid first (it has been known)... Thanks in anticipation Guys and gals...Ade
by wahlerstudios on Fri May 19, 2017 5:43 am
Yes, it's clear as mud... ;-) One thing to try is to recall scene #1 (Zero Out), which takes any user setting away and "adjusts" the mixer gain. If that does not help, the next station is a factory reset with the option card pulled out. This should cure the problem, if it has to do with settings. If this does not help, the next station is a repair.

The CS is NOTHING ELSE but a controller for Studio One. It does not and can not pass ANY audio in DAW mode. This is where the RML and the AVB network come into the picture, which supply all audio features for the CS.

Hope this helps.

RM32AI | RM16AI | CS18AI | MOTU AVB Switch | Apple Router | Mac mini | 2x iPad
Sold: SL 2442AI | SL 2442 | SL 1642 | DL 1608...
by pikeyh on Fri May 19, 2017 8:36 am
Clear as mud eh!!! is that humour I hear.. hahahaha... yes I know with the avb switch it has all been working as it should, it just all went t--s up about a day ago, before that it had been fine for a month or so from when I got it. I will try the zero out option, as I have not tried that , with the option card reinstall being the next step, also if its a repair, which do you think would be the culprit the cs or the rm. cheers for your input. Ade
by wahlerstudios on Fri May 19, 2017 9:13 am
There is one more thing you can try, if you have an iPad or iPhone. The CS does nothing else than an iDevice, so if the problem still exists while using an iDevice, it most probably has to do with the RML. But...

Channels 31 and 32 are the channels used by the CS as audio inputs (XLR) in an AVB network, so there can also be a conflict in the source selected e.g. for talkback. Other problems may be phantom power, double input or too much gain for channels 31 and 32.

Problems with single channels or channels pairs are totally untypical for the RM/RML mixers, as they have no faders and therefore no faderbanks.

by pikeyh on Fri May 19, 2017 12:34 pm
So.......What happens is that when I connect the CS18 with the rml via cat 5 with or without the motu avb involved I get 31/32 hiss, without the avb box and with the cs and rml linked via cat 5 the controller works as it should controlling the software on the pc and the rml works as the audio interface being able to be controlled with uc surface but with hiss via 31/32 with the avb box in the picture I get the same type of problem with hiss on 31/32, so the problem is when the cs and rml are connected via cat 5 ( I have tried different cables) so I think the problem must lie with the cs ????? any thoughts ? cheers. Ade...... quick addition..if I change ch types of 31/32 to firewire and not network hiss disappears, but still no local control of audio from cs 18 (cat 5 connecting cs/rml/router via avb box)...
by wahlerstudios on Fri May 19, 2017 5:26 pm
I had written an answer, then I saw your addition... ;-) Ok, now I have set up RM32 and CS18 in an AVB network with a router (for iPad) and try to find out where a hiss could come from. Whatever I do and try, there is no hiss. But I have also learned again to be more aware what the input channels 1 to 4 on the CS18 do / where they are routed. This may help to understand the configuration:

* Mic/Line Input 1 XLR (usually used for talkback at FOH or in studio): If selected this input shows up as "Talkback" (at the end of the faderbank in UC Surface) and under "Return" on the CS18.

* Mic/Line Input 2 XLR: This channel can alternatively be selected as talkback, but otherwise this channel is not available as audio input.

* Line Inputs 3+4: They show up as "Dig Ret" (Digital Return) in UC Surface and under "Return" on the CS18.

This means that there are 4 independent audio channels provided by the CS18 (2 mono mic/line, 1 stereo line) and 3 of them can be used additionally to the 32 input channels of the RM/RML. But... - by selecting network as input source of channels 31 and 32, the two CS mic/line channels become the source for channels 31 and 32. This may not make sense at first sight, but this is a helpful feature if e.g. there is a need to add two microphone or line inputs at FOH, which have to become part of the main mix or the monitor mixes.

This routing can explain, why the hiss disappears when you press the FireWire button (you are selecting a different input source), so it looks like something is wrong with the inputs 1 and 2 of your CS18. If you are using the inputs for line signals and phantom power is active, this probably causes a problem.

If your AVB network is set up propperly, you should get audio input on channels 1 to 4. Of course you need to move the right faders and adjust the preamps of channels 1 and 2 (channels 3 and 4 have no adjustable preamps). AVB network means CS and RML individually connected/wired to the MOTU AVB switch (there is no other...) and a router connected to the dedicated port of the switch. The router has to boot fully in order to distribute the needed dynamic IP addreses, before CS an RML are switched on. If you are using static IP addresses, the router does not need to boot first.

"but still no local control of audio from cs 18" - Do you mean the XLR outputs of your CS18? Then you should consider that the XLR outs of the CS18 are using the monitor bus of your RML mixer (which is the headphone out), so all settings have to be done accordingly. The mains fader does not work on the monitor bus, you only hear what what you have selected as monitor source.

by pikeyh on Sat May 20, 2017 1:29 am
https://youtu.be/Yn5DAWeZ8RI Video of problem...

btw. thanks for all your help with this problem wahlerstudios (sorry don't know your first name). Ade
by wahlerstudios on Sat May 20, 2017 8:28 am
Thank you very much for the video! As the song says "I can see clearly now"... ;-) The video helps to understand your question better and I have another idea: To me the noise sounds like a typical grounding/earthing problem, so what about trying a passive DI Box with a ground lift? Probably grounding needs to be OFF/lifted.

by pikeyh on Sat May 20, 2017 9:28 am
Thanks, but its not a grounding problem, worked in live sound for years so had enough of earth loops grounding probs... its hiss and as I said it was all working fine for about a month or "so then this hiss" ( hey sounds like a song title) tried everything I can this end, so maybe a email to tech support to see if they think its a repair job, thanks for taking the time to try to help...much appreciated...

9 posts
Page 1 of 1