StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
11 posts
Page 1 of 1
I was wondering if anyone has tried XFDBK plug-in live in MultiRacks with the RM? If so, what numbers in MultiRacks I/O correspond with the Auxes so I can insert effects such as XFDBK on them?
by Karyn on Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:16 am
I wish we could use XFDBK, but the aux-mix outputs (and the main outputs) have a Dante output only, no Dante input, thus you can't insert FX like you can on the input channels.

I too use MultiRack, but only for adding FX to channels.

Come on Presonus, there are plenty of Dante input channels available to add them to each Aux and Main ....

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by drums.michael on Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:44 pm
I am using a workaround:

Let's say you want to use X-FDBK (or any plugin) on Aux 1.
Send Aux 1 to MultiRack, have it return on a free channel, lets' say 30.

The you select firewire or Dante return on channel 30, deselect "Main" and "Mono".

Put this channel on unity on another Aux, let's say 2 and the aux master at unity as well.

Put the XLR in Aux Out 2 and voila you are using the plugin and are still controlling you Monitor feed via Aux1.

This works with the Mains as well!

In short:
Aux out -> MultiRack -> free channel -> turn channel up on different aux -> connect Monitor/Mains on that Aux

It's a lot of work and uses twice the Auxes you would need but it works.

I do agree that PreSonus should solve this.

Therefore it;s most important to push that request up on the requests page on this website(if you haven't already done so)

RM32AI
- MacBook Pro Retina i7 8gb
- 2U self built computer running MacOSX Mavericks (courtesy of tonymacx86.com) and Hannspree/Hanns-G Touchscreen (HT231HPG)

internals:
CPU: i7 4790K @4.0Ghz
RAM: 16GB 1866 DDR3
OS disk 128gb Samsung 840 SSD
storage: 2 2TB Seagate HDD 7200 rpm (2tb running RAID for speed plus 2x 1tb storage partitions)
Chenbro RM24100 Rackcase
CPU Cooler (due to height restrictions) Thermalright AXP-200 Muscle with offset Fan

UC Surface on Mac and iPad
Processing via Waves MultiRack & LiveProfessor2

My Homepage (still being built...)
by tourtelot on Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:28 am
Yes, I do what Michael does but it does eat up inputs on the board.

Weird that getting changes done in the Dante realm seems to be slow in the whole industry. I'm not sure whether companies are waiting to see if Dante becomes a de-facto standard or what. Presonus is generally ahead in this stuff. But there is more to be done!

D.
by Karyn on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:13 am
Presonus ahead? Most other digital mixers use a routing matrix for all the inputs and outputs, so you can connect whatever you want to anything else, Analogue, Dante or otherwise...

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by drums.michael on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:53 am
Yep... been buggin' me too as long as I have it... "Oh we have one more Mic..." If setup/soundcheck is done you just add at the end... But with routing you could do it properly

Got my Dante card last week but not so satisfied with it, at least not for almost 600€...
Thinking about returning it...

RM32AI
- MacBook Pro Retina i7 8gb
- 2U self built computer running MacOSX Mavericks (courtesy of tonymacx86.com) and Hannspree/Hanns-G Touchscreen (HT231HPG)

internals:
CPU: i7 4790K @4.0Ghz
RAM: 16GB 1866 DDR3
OS disk 128gb Samsung 840 SSD
storage: 2 2TB Seagate HDD 7200 rpm (2tb running RAID for speed plus 2x 1tb storage partitions)
Chenbro RM24100 Rackcase
CPU Cooler (due to height restrictions) Thermalright AXP-200 Muscle with offset Fan

UC Surface on Mac and iPad
Processing via Waves MultiRack & LiveProfessor2

My Homepage (still being built...)
by tourtelot on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:57 am
Karyn. What I meant is that Presonus was quick to adopt Dante, not that they have been able to take full advantage of the format.

I am excited that, as we go along, better use of Dante will make things more and more flexible. That is assuming that Dante holds on to be a viable networked audio choice and that I made the correct decision to go with it.

It is also my hope that the R&D continues at Presonus and that they continue to offer better connectivity without the need for new hardware. I always think, "it's a computer inside. can't they just code-in the changes?" I am sad to often find out that is not the case and that new hardware (and revenue if I am being cynical on that particular day) is always needed. :(

D.
by mixerguych on Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:38 pm
The inability to soft patch or move channels in the app really harshs my mellow, been waiting a year for seomthing to bring it close to Yamaha or Behringer useability.....I would guess they thought Dante would replace local routing? I made Y-cables for Monitor/FOH Vx splits. I guess its a one to one box for awhile longer....
by brucefreeman on Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:18 pm
drums.michael wroteI am using a workaround:

Let's say you want to use X-FDBK (or any plugin) on Aux 1.
Send Aux 1 to MultiRack, have it return on a free channel, lets' say 30.

The you select firewire or Dante return on channel 30, deselect "Main" and "Mono".

Put this channel on unity on another Aux, let's say 2 and the aux master at unity as well.

Put the XLR in Aux Out 2 and voila you are using the plugin and are still controlling you Monitor feed via Aux1.

This works with the Mains as well!

In short:
Aux out -> MultiRack -> free channel -> turn channel up on different aux -> connect Monitor/Mains on that Aux

It's a lot of work and uses twice the Auxes you would need but it works.

I do agree that PreSonus should solve this.

Therefore it;s most important to push that request up on the requests page on this website(if you haven't already done so)

This is a fascinating idea. I am new to using plugins as effects in a live situation. I am using an RM32Ai with the CS18 control surface. for live PA and record on my Macbook using Capture. I mix the resulting sessions in Pro Tools. Seems that I could use Pro Tools in place of MutiRack to accomplish the same results. Do you have an opinion or suggestion. I am really interested in purchasing X FDBK for my live gigs. I run four AUX sends today 1 to 4 to 4 wedges.
by wahlerstudios on Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:26 pm
"X-FDBK identifies the precise frequencies that cause feedback and surgically cuts them, dramatically shortening the setup time of monitors and PA speakers. X-FDBK is the first plugin ever to provide a complete automatic feedback suppression solution. Whether you’re an FOH engineer mixing for thousands or a singer performing with your own compact PA system, you can now get a loud, clear and feedback-free mix in seconds. This way you have one less thing to worry about and you can focus on what’s really important – your mix." (Waves product description)

Sounds great, but is totally BS. "Automatic" means that the plug-in continues to look for feedback frequencies in order to "eliminate" them, which results in a weird and unusable sound in your wedges. There are other and better ways to prevent feedback. Smaart (RTA and Spectograph) is the best tool, but unfortunately you can not use Smaart in a CS/RM combination. There is a solution described in this thread:"Bringing Smaart RTA & Spectograph back to FOH" (https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=222&t=27848).

You should also keep in mind that any single AD or DA conversion will add latency to your system, which makes the "workaround" of user "drums.michael" nearly unusable. He switched to another brand a few weeks after his post, because he didn't get the result he wanted from the RM mixer.
by Friedhelm on Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:45 am
wahlerstudios wrote"X-FDBK identifies the precise frequencies that cause feedback and surgically cuts them, dramatically shortening the setup time of monitors and PA speakers. X-FDBK is the first plugin ever to provide a complete automatic feedback suppression solution. Whether you’re an FOH engineer mixing for thousands or a singer performing with your own compact PA system, you can now get a loud, clear and feedback-free mix in seconds. This way you have one less thing to worry about and you can focus on what’s really important – your mix." (Waves product description)

Sounds great, but is totally BS. "Automatic" means that the plug-in continues to look for feedback frequencies in order to "eliminate" them, which results in a weird and unusable sound in your wedges. There are other and better ways to prevent feedback. Smaart (RTA and Spectograph) is the best tool, but unfortunately you can not use Smaart in a CS/RM combination. There is a solution described in this thread:"Bringing Smaart RTA & Spectograph back to FOH" (https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=222&t=27848).

You should also keep in mind that any single AD or DA conversion will add latency to your system, which makes the "workaround" of user "drums.michael" nearly unusable. He switched to another brand a few weeks after his post, because he didn't get the result he wanted from the RM mixer.

The XFDBK plugin only detects feedbacks when in setup mode, which stops after one minute.
This means also, feedbacks happening during the show will not be detected, which is mostly a good thing, sometimes bad maybe.

another way to use a plugin like this is splitting a channel to two channels. For example: Lead vocals on channel 10 and 11 are recieving their signal from channel 10 in your DAW or multirack.
Now you could use one channel for FOH and the other one for monitors with XFDBK inserted.

SL1602
RM16AI
Nowsonic stage router
StudioOne pro2
mac book pro 2009
ipad4
db technologies DVX 10(2x), DVX8(4x)
db technologies S08(2x)

https://www.waves.com/r/bqvxon

11 posts
Page 1 of 1