8 posts
Page 1 of 1
When I look at the spec sheet for the AudioBox iOne, I see the mic preamp's max input level is +10 dBu but nothing for the instrument input. What number is it? How can I find out?
by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:43 am
Hi and welcome to this forum :)

Yeah, those specs are missing. But I wouldn't be surprise if it's the same as for the mic input or maybe 6dB less (using only the hot wire input). Which would be plenty headroom for most pickups (1V output voltage = 2.2dBu).
by johnrivs on Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:48 am
SwitchBack wroteHi and welcome to this forum :)

Yeah, those specs are missing. But I wouldn't be surprise if it's the same as for the mic input or maybe 6dB less (using only the hot wire input). Which would be plenty headroom for most pickups (1V output voltage = 2.2dBu).

Hi, thanks.

So I can flip a coin between +10 dBu or +4 dBu.
What's hot wire input?
by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:19 am
Mic inputs have 3 pins: ground (1), hot (2) and cold (3) with the mic preamp amplifying the signal difference between hot and cold. The instrument input probably uses only the 'hot' side of the preamp, which would make the instrument input half as sensitive (-6dB) as the mic input.
by johnrivs on Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:31 am
SwitchBack wroteMic inputs have 3 pins: ground (1), hot (2) and cold (3) with the mic preamp amplifying the signal difference between hot and cold. The instrument input probably uses only the 'hot' side of the preamp, which would make the instrument input half as sensitive (-6dB) as the mic input.

Cool, so I can just interpret it as +4 dBu?
by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:46 am
No, it's an instrument input and as such can't be treated as 'any other input with so-and-so input sensitivity'. Have you got any idea what sort of output voltage your guitar/bass produces?
by johnrivs on Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:23 am
SwitchBack wroteNo, it's an instrument input and as such can't be treated as 'any other input with so-and-so input sensitivity'. Have you got any idea what sort of output voltage your guitar/bass produces?

No idea :( I use a Telecaster if that helps.

The reason I'm getting into this is because a topic that has been making the rounds lately.
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
by SwitchBack on Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:43 am
OK, that rambles a bit but what it boils down to is that you want to set your input gain so that the input meter in your DAW reads -12dBFS or so max. And then the experimenting starts because the output level of your Telecaster very much depends on your style of playing and what the song needs. So try it out. It should be fine, and even if the instrument is too loud overall it's easy to insert some attenuation (e.g. in the cable). :)

8 posts
Page 1 of 1