33 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
Hello (and sorry for my poor level in English, I'm French)

I got the same issue with a brand new AudioBox USB 96 STUDIO.

The mic gain has to be set on the two last levels to get a signal, even if singing very close to the mic ,wich is a Presonus M7 provided in the studio Kit.

Then signal is enough for recording but with a lot of noise and the parasite capture of ambiant sounds.

I can't believe that Presonus would know that problem from so many years and don't have any solution to make their audio interface usable !!

Very disappointed with my purchase.

:(
by SwitchBack on Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:52 am
Hi and welcome to these forums :)

Since your microphone is picking up ambient sounds I wonder, are you aware that the M7 is a side-address microphone? You don’t sing into the end of the microphone (as you would with most handheld microphones) but you have to sing into the side of the microphone. Also, since this is a condenser mic, phantom power is required (button on the interface).
by nicolascauvelet on Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:40 am
SwitchBack wroteHi and welcome to these forums :)

Since your microphone is picking up ambient sounds I wonder, are you aware that the M7 is a side-address microphone? You don’t sing into the end of the microphone (as you would with most handheld microphones) but you have to sing into the side of the microphone. Also, since this is a condenser mic, phantom power is required (button on the interface).

I have tried to change the cable (The original from the Presonus box and many of my XLR stock of cables), I sing very close to the mic,48V on, right in front as it needs. I also tried with my Shure SM58 (lower signal then) and PG38 (The worst).

Presonus just gave me a link to try some tips. None works.

Very sad that my choice is between to buy another brand interface (with decent gain control) or continue using this one with Max Gain and problems that come with...

I'll surely NOT recommand presonus...
by basmeijer on Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:42 am
Happy new year, 2021, here we come! 8-)

I wonder how an eventual product callback option that customers could opt for would have compared to the reputation damage that PreSonus as a company collected by this. :thumbdown:

Mind that the previous 3 posts are more or less off-topic, unless the gain pot is behaving excactly like the AudioBox iTwo, and the input stage is identical, which I could not tell now.
by sergiomarchi1 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:57 am
Common evil, half joy. Today, March 2021 my new tab
PRESONUS AudioBox USB 96 has the same problems. I discover that it is out of production. That there is a black Anniversary version, to celebrate the success of Presonus hardware products .... sigh ... At home we have a Behringer of the same price range and potential that does not have these problems. Among other things, having to raise the input volumes to the maximum or almost, passes into the microphone all the ambient noise and electromagnetic disturbances with which we are inundated every day, and which we cannot filter. Finally, we are always close to distortion.
by basmeijer on Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:12 am
Wow, so they kept making the same electronic design flaw in other/later products.
Oh boy... time to kick out some people at R&D and/or QC over there.

I would very cautious and full of hesitation to buy anything of PreSonus ever again.
The bigger stuff that I still have is doing great, although without any software updates 'of course' for the mixing products and so with remaining shortcomings all over.

But the magic Ai PA speaker products (owning 4x 312 and 18s) that PreSonus made some short period of time some years ago are (almost, not completely because again they tend to stop software development quickly) perfect and I still am very happy with. Very competitive with expensive brands and extremely high quality.

As far as my desire to recommend PreSonus to anyone, thát unfortunately vaporised over time...
by mateuszsus on Thu May 13, 2021 11:47 am
so I'm new to recording and bought myself SM-81 to record acoustic guitar but the only way to get any green light on iOne is to crank gain literally all the way up and only then I get in StudioOne anything betwee -25 and -10dB(tried different condenser mic with same result). After seeing all the replies I guess I shouldn't blame the cable or hope anything can be done with interface itself?
by klypeman on Fri May 14, 2021 1:26 pm
mateuszsus wroteso I'm new to recording and bought myself SM-81 to record acoustic guitar but the only way to get any green light on iOne is to crank gain literally all the way up and only then I get in StudioOne anything betwee -25 and -10dB(tried different condenser mic with same result). After seeing all the replies I guess I shouldn't blame the cable or hope anything can be done with interface itself?

The SM-81 needs phantom power, is that turned on ?

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by basmeijer on Fri May 14, 2021 4:59 pm
A 81 won't work at all without
by jeremyvital on Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:44 am
Hello everyone, I'm here after a week of frustration with my Audiobox 96. It has the exact same issue as described (low gain on multiple mics until the last two clicks, where there is a huge jump). I am also an electronics engineer, but less experience with audio and pre-amp design. I took my unit apart and took a resistance measurement on all 40 clicks of the pot rotation. It's definitely an anti-log/reverse audio/type "C" pot. I bought some linear taper 10k pots to see if they are any better, but I'm about to throw this thing away. It's unusable as-is. I've had this unit for years (got it from a friend for free), and only ever used it to output sound. I'll report back if I find anything.
by mortenadamsen on Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:32 am
It's 2022 and the problem persists. PreSonus support has just told me, like they have told others, that this is by design. I've asked why you would design a gain knob to act as an on/off switch, and if he would accept a car transmission only being able to go directly from 1st to 5th gear, but I have had no reply.

I am sending my iOne back to the retailer, hoping they have more sense, than the PreSonus chat support, and I will probably be replacing my iOne with a different interface, from a more capable developer, as the iOne mic input is absolutely useless.

basmeijer wroteI bought some linear taper 10k pots to see if they are any better, but I'm about to throw this thing away. It's unusable as-is.

@jermyvital did you ever get around to replace the pots? Seeing as the warranty is hardly worth the paper it's written on, with PreSonus, I'd be inclined to void the "warranty", and replace the pot myself just to see if there is something to salvage.
by robscott6 on Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:51 pm
Well, I've got mine in bits.

I'll check the taper of the 15k pots tomorrow maybe in better light.

Looks to have 34Y (2.21 Ohm) resistor modifying the pot taper so all very low Z

Maybe I'll just box it up - any chance of a schematic of those inputs Presonus?

Please?
by tombarrie on Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:15 am
I have this same problem. Not acceptable - I'm going to look for something else

33 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2