4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm planning on miking my Guitar amp using an Audiobix iTwo with the M7 condensor mic (supplied in the kit) and a Shure SM57 dynamic mic.

I've read warnings to not use Phantom power for dynamic mics. Thing is, it looks as though the phantom power switch controls both inputs simultaneously.

Any tips on what settings I should use when mixing condensor/dynamic types?

Thanks
by SwitchBack on Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:49 am
It doesn't hurt to put phantom power on an SM57. Do make sure that you use an XLR cable that is wired correctly! (pin 1 to pin 1, 2-2 and 3-3).
by thomaschilds on Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:00 am
Thanks for the advice. I'll check that the pins line up. Does that happen due to dodgy manufacturing or is it about inverting the phase intentionally on some cables?

Is the SM57 special in that it can take Phantom Power, or is the same true for similar dyanamic mics? SM58, Sennheiser e835?
by SwitchBack on Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:06 am
Phantom power is a low current +48V (or thereabouts) dc voltage put on both signal wires (2 and 3) using the shield (pin 1) as the return wire.

On most professional dynamic mics there is no electrical connection between the shield (mic body) and the mic capsule (between pins 2 and 3), so the capsule is floating wrt. the shield. Putting 48V on it (even with wires 2 and 3 crossed) won't hurt a bit. If in doubt check the mic's user's manual.

Ribbon mics are notorious for not having a floating 'capsule'. Phantom power will damage them.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1