19 posts
Page 1 of 1
So, as I understand it, to use the iTwo with the iPad, you connect the USB to Lightning cable to the iPad and the tablet connection on the iTwo. Then, you connect the USB cable to the iPad's power supply. Nice setup. Question is, does it also charge/power the iPad while connected like this?

I did download the PDF manual, and while I may have missed it, I can't find the answer.
by matthewgorman on Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:54 pm
I am pretty certain it only maintains the power, it doesnt charge it. Official 100% may have to wait until Monday.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by mwright137 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:18 pm
It will NOT charge it. You will get that "not charging" symbol on your iPad.

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by Skip Jones on Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:37 pm
^^^^^What my friends said and more. :D

Using a battery supply option (There is zillions out there), you can have the ultimate field kit. Interface to record, Capture to retain and battery power to make truly mobile recordings.Now go back to your home studio WiFi setup and simply click transfer to transfer it into your DAW for editing/mixing/mastering. Thumbs Up!

Skip

Skip

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by adamday on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:05 am
No despite presonus claiming it does, the iPad power steadily depletes. With nothing running it seemed to reduce by about 1% per minute.

Apart from this (which is a bit of a problem and I wouldn't have bought it if I had known the truth) it seems to work well.
by johnnygeib2 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:38 pm
adamday wroteNo despite presonus claiming it does, the iPad power steadily depletes. With nothing running it seemed to reduce by about 1% per minute.

Apart from this (which is a bit of a problem and I wouldn't have bought it if I had known the truth) it seems to work well.

Well my testing it very different from yours. On my iPad with the iOne if I leave it idol it actually charges about 1% every 15 minutes.

I have run mine for several hours straight and never saw that much of a drop and if I left it without use (but still hooked up) it did in fact add a few percent after an hour.

I do have a relatively new iPad air so maybe that's a possible difference. Not sure.

Oh, and just to add, you suggest that Presonus lied about it. Let's try not to do that because it is unfair to Presonus who tests and confirms everything they claim.

by Skip Jones on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:06 pm
Do you have apps running in the background that may be drawing power?

http://support.presonus.com/entries/587 ... o-or-iOne-

Skip

Skip

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by mwright137 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:24 am
Where does PreSonus claim that it will charge your iPad? I have never seen this.

StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by sunmachine on Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:52 am
mwright137 wroteWhere does PreSonus claim that it will charge your iPad? I have never seen this.

This is from the knowledge base article Skip posted above:

The Apple adapter will actually trickle charge the iPad just enough so battery doesn't deplete while used with iTwo or iOne. It's not enough to show the charging icon on the iPad but just enough to keep the charge at a sustained level while in use, and when it's not in use will slowly charge the iPad.

So that might be what adamday was referring to. That they say the battery doesn't deplete.

Sonic Core XITE-1 SCOPE DSP Platform ~ Windows 7 Pro 64-bit@Mac Mini i7 (Late 2012) ~ Studio One Professional 2.6
RME Fireface UCX ~ OS X 10.9.5@MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) ~ Studio One Professional 2.6

--
Try FastMail for better email!
by mwright137 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:22 pm
Ok. But it never says it will charge your iPad.

My Website
by alanbroady on Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:58 pm
Hi All,

I would just like to update this thread with the results of my experiments.
I have an iTwo and also two iPads. One is the iPad Air 1st gen, the other is an iPad 2 (older model).

No matter what power supply I use, the Apple power supplies that came with the iPad or even a 30W industrial 5V power supply, the iPads do not charge and also do deplete their power, even in airplane mode and with brightness on the lowest settings and no apps running. Result is the same for both iPads. I don't see any evidence at all of "trickle charging" taking place.

This is a big disappointment to me personally, becuase this is one of the reasons I chose this unit over other options.

However, I was wondering if it is possible to "inject" the power with a splitter cable between the iTwo and the iPad. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm interested to know if anyone thinks this would work (presumably it would be important to route back to the same power supply to get 0V aligned?). USB power (and definitely iPad power) is not trivial - the data connection also plays a role, that's why I'm asking. Basically my question is whether the iTwo itself imposes some limit on how much current it will pass through to the iPad. To anyone reading this - don't try it unless there is some more evidence and/or you are an electronics engineer!!

By the way, in all other respects this is a great product. Everything else works perfectly and the iPad / PC integration worked first time for me. Sound quality is great. Mic preamps also great. Also works great with MIDI softsynths on the iPad with low latency.

Cheers,
Alan
by mwright137 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:25 pm
If your battery is draining, check your battery usage by app under Settings --> General --> Usage --> Battery Usage. After a few seconds, the screen will load with how much each application is draining your battery. Our signal at work recently dropped and my iPhone battery sometimes is drained in a few hours by the Mail app with low signal. Sometimes it's something very silly that is draining your battery...

My Website
by alanbroady on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:49 pm
Hi All,

Some more experiments :-)

I updated the iTwo firmware. Didn't know about that because previously I only used the iPad and not the PC with the iTwo. So tip of the day - even if you only want to use an iPad, it's still worth connecting one time to a PC and installing the driver just to get the firmware update.

Anyway, it didn't help with this particular issue.

Did a very careful experiment:

- Airplane mode.
- Close all apps
- Screen brightness on minimum, set not to lock.
- Check for any "rogue" apps in the settings.
- Do not run any apps, just the home screen on the iPad.

Connect to iTwo with the Apple charger for the iPad providing power.
Type of iPad - iPad Air first gen.

Result - power still depletes at the usual expected rate.

Also (in a separate experiment) tried injecting power like I described before with a splitter cable between the iPad and the iTwo and high capacity PSU. Also didn't make any difference. Don't try this sort of stuff unless you're a computer engineer like me and don't mind taking risks!!

Of course, the result could vary with the many combinations of:

iOne or iTwo * Presonus firmware version * Types of iPad * iOS versions * types of chargers Apple has issued * possible other iPad variations like other apps installed

But for my particular combination - no dice, it just doesn't work :-( Big shame because I want to use this in a live situation. Of course, I can still gamble on starting with a fully charged iPad, but that means extra preparation and something extra to go wrong.

Cheers,
Alan
by alanbroady on Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:06 pm
Aha. just found out that if the iPad is locked (e.g. cover closed) then it _does_ charge from the iTwo. It's slow, but it does charge. So, in any case this is some evidence that some level of charging does take place. Maybe it also discharges slower when connected to the iTwo than it would otherwise when in use - difficult to tell from the results so far.
by adamday on Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:02 am
No the iPad gradually runs down as you use it. It might continue to work for an hour if fully charged, but not great if you want to use it at a gig!

Don't know what the solution is. Do presonus have a solution? They said it would work before I bought it, but it doesn't!
by espinozaricardo on Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:20 am
Do Presonus have any solution?
Itwo does not charge my Ipad, so I'm very angry because charging the ipad was one of the reasons I chose this unit :(

What I did:
- airplane mode on
- firmware upgrade to the latest one

This way I can not use the itwo for live performance :(
so sad...
by jasonpinson on Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:35 pm
Presonus quoted "trickle charge"
That means in idle mode it will charge very slowly. Like if you have a 2500 to 4000 mah (miliamp per hour) your battery will trickle charge for 6-10 hours in idle mode. It's pretty simple.
Now I haven't used the iPad yet but I did order the mini 4 and I have the audiobox ione. I opted for this setup because I already have the ione for my pc but I would like to be able to record on the go.
There is also an app in the play store that will work on android tablets with a USB OTG cable which charges your tablet while you record. The app is called USB AUDIO RECORDER PRO and it works with the ione and itwo and a few other presonus interfaces along with a myriad of other interfaces. :reading:
by carrizal on Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:04 pm
Thanks all, for confirming what I read in the S.O.S review.

Was trying to decide whether I was going to pull the trigger on this unit, but regardless of the hair-splitting regarding what was advertised, the iPad charging issue is a deal-breaker. Too bad. It seemed like a nice little portable unit to work with the rest of my PreSonus gear.

Maybe it'll get sorted out some time in the near future, before I buy an alternative solution.

Cheers!
by dinoreese on Sat May 14, 2016 12:27 pm
I wish I could return my iTwo, this is a total deal breaker. I'm so disappointed!

19 posts
Page 1 of 1