7 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm having some trouble getting my system properly set up. I have my iTwo plugged in and working to an extent, the problem is when I choose it as my audio device (the only other option being Windows Audio), the control panel (the button directly to the right of the drop down) refuses to come up. I click it, the mouse shows it's thinking for a moment, but nothing happens. When it's set to use windows audio, the control panel comes up no problem, and I can set the latency, playback and recording devices no problem. I'm new to all of this, so I guess I don't understand. Does the iTwo just not have a control panel? Should I be using windows audio? In either case, I can't seem to get any sound with my monitors plugged into my computer, only when plugged into the headphone jack on my iTwo. That part is a new problem; when i was last using my set up (it's been a couple of weeks) I could switch between the two, and I don't know what has changed.

Some basic info about my setup, not sure whats helpful/needed: iTwo plugged in to my PC via USB, running Studio One 3.1. No dedicated sound card (do I need one?).

Any help anybody could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
by matthewgorman on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:40 pm
In windows, for a device like the iTwo, that control button does not work. Make sure that you installed the drivers for the iTwo from your user account. That driver install also installs the device control panel you seek.

And yes, when everything is installed correctly, you can switch between win audio and the iTwo.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by coletompkins on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:10 pm
Ok, I reinstalled my drivers. I guess my question now is, when using the audio box as my audio device, can I still have the main output be my computer's headphone out? The control panel (when using windows audio) lets me choose which device I want to use for playback and recording independently of each other. Is that just not an option for the iTwo? what would be the disadvantages of using the windows audio over the iTwo? Will one have a higher latency than the other? I guess it shouldn't matter, but the headphone out on the iTwo is a little squirrely, so I would prefer not to use it if possible. (By squirrely, I mean it has to be in the right position to play the sound properly. If moved or twisted, it crackles or stops playing out of the left or right, or sometimes both.)
by matthewgorman on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:18 pm
Sounds like you have some bad cables/jacks. Typically its an either/or situation for audio. Meaning, choose one device and roll with it. There are unsupported options like ASIO4ALL that will let you set separate record/playback devices, but it isn't the most stable scenario. Its not a limitation of the iTwo.

The benefits of using the iTwo over win sound is the signal path. The iTwo will let you hear as it is in the daw, no coloration of the sound. Your win sound may have eq, compression, or other processing applied for listening to music. You also can achieve lower latency with the iTwo vs win audio, which is locked in to the settings.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by coletompkins on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:24 pm
I see. Well, I've tested my cables in other devices, so I'm thinking it has to be the bad jack. Either way, I can work with it until I have a chance to get that fixed, and if the iTwo has the clearer, less latent sound, I suppose I'll continue to use that. Thanks so much for the help!
by rongallagher on Mon May 09, 2016 8:05 am
Having similar issues, so now I will go away and look for these drivers I didn't know I needed. I would have thought the Installer would have had that side of things covered. The Windows option didn't give me any sound at all. So I have something wrong !
by henrinagelhout on Tue May 10, 2016 2:49 pm
coletompkins wroteI guess my question now is, when using the audio box as my audio device, can I still have the main output be my computer's headphone out?

This is possible, but only if applications do not demand exclusive rights to that audio device.
And only when using windows audio drivers (resulting in high latency).

coletompkins wroteThe control panel (when using windows audio drivers) lets me choose which device I want to use for playback and recording independently of each other. Is that just not an option for the iTwo?

As stated above, all of this only applies when using windows audio drivers.
Studio One (and other DAW's) rely on ASIO drivers, witch enables low latency.
However, when using the ASIO drivers, the applications will have exclusive rights to that audio device (your iTwo)
and other applications will not be able to use the iTwo as input or output.
This is not a limitation of the iTwo, it's a limitation within the way windows audio works.
As Matthew stated, ASIO4ALL can circumvent this limitation. But as they say, results may vary.

coletompkins wrotewhat would be the disadvantages of using the windows audio over the iTwo? Will one have a higher latency than the other?

Not sure what you mean here, but windows drivers have higher latency than ASIO drivers.
Using the iTwo as your main output for windows is no problem.
But as soon as you use a program that uses the ASIO driver, all other applications can't use iTwo anymore.
For example using Studio One to record your guitar while playing back a song with spotify will not be possible.
But using spotify to listen to a song and checking some youtube clips at the same time will be possible.

coletompkins wroteI guess it shouldn't matter, but the headphone out on the iTwo is a little squirrely, so I would prefer not to use it if possible. (By squirrely, I mean it has to be in the right position to play the sound properly. If moved or twisted, it crackles or stops playing out of the left or right, or sometimes both.)

Have you tried another headphone on the iTwo? Could be that your headphone will work fine in everything else,
but the iTwo's jack input and your headphones jack plug are an accidentally bad match.
If another headphone has the same problem on the iTwo then I suggest using your warranty.

Another thing to bear in mind, latency in itself is not so much a problem when the only thing you do is playback audio.
It becomes a problem as soon as you push a button (hit a key, strike a chord, sing) and expect instant result/playback of that action.

PC: MacBook Pro 13" (2016), i5-6267U, 8Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD, macOS Big Sur 11.3.1
Interface: Audiobox iTwo | MIDI: Nektar Impact LX61 | Monitors: Eris E5 | DAW: Studio One 5.2.1 Pro
Plug-Ins: Amplitube 5, Komplete 11 Select, Melodyne 5 Editor, Superior Drummer 2.0, and various freebies

7 posts
Page 1 of 1