2 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I have an AKAI XR20 (beat production center or drum machine) and have 20 beats on it. I want to transfer them onto my Mac using AudioBox iOne and Studio One but I'm having a problem.
I have connected XR20 to AudioBox using a stereo cable and plugged it into the instrument input. The problem is that although the output signals (the beats) are in stereo, what I hear and is being recorded on my Mac is mono (sound just coming through the right channel). Can only mono signals (like guitar) be recorded through the instrument jack? How can I have both left and right channel recorded using iOne.
Your help is much appreciated.
Thanks.
by matthewgorman on Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:52 am
In pro audio, a stereo signal is 2 channels. You are going to want to connect the 2 jacks labeled main going into jacks 1 and 2 on the itwo. Do not engage the instrument button on the itwo. I am assuming that the AKAI is outputting line level, but just in case have the gain on the itwo all the way down on both channels, and then adjust up as needed. Using the line in should bypass the gain stage of the itwo, but just being safe.

Then in Studio one, you can either set up a new stereo channel, and select input 1 and 2 as the input. Or you can set up 2 mono channels, and select inputs 1 and 2 respectively for each channel, then hard pan in opposite directions. Its ultimately the same result. I prefer 2 separate mono channels, which will give you more control over placement in the mix when you get top that point.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5

2 posts
Page 1 of 1