7 posts
Page 1 of 1
So I have a the iTwo package setup with only what came in the kit (iTwo box, M7 Mic, and HD7 headphones), but have some major issues with the Gain/Volume.

With the mic, if I put the gain on anything lower than the second-to-last notch, even with having the mic practically IN my mouth, vocals are INCREDIBLY low. The problem is anything ABOVE that notch is so sensitive it picks up every noise outside my room, and worst... my breathing (I don't believe I'm a heavy breather either). I primarily use the setup for conference calls (yeah, over kill I know) and screen recordings with talk tracks.

With the volume on the headphone port, if I'm just listening to audio from the computer then I have to turn the knob almost completely down, else its painfully loud. But with playback from conference calls I have to turn it to at least half-way.

I have checked the input/output levels options in the Sounds panel of OS X (10.12.2 if it matters), on 3 different macs ( 1x 3-year old Macbook Pro, 1x brand new 2016 Macbook Pro touchbar, and 1x 12" Macbook), all three going through a USB hub and without. Picture of my box attached.

Any thoughts one what could be wrong/corrected?
by klypeman on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:10 pm
By the looks of the pic it seems that you have the gain knob on input 1 way high, one-third is normally the sweetspot on gaining condenser mics with 48v phantom power. That can explain you hearing your breath too. And proximity to the mic.

Windows 10 64bit Home, Studio One 3.5.1 Pro, Cubase 9 Pro, Logic, Pro Tools, MacBook Pro, 24.4.2, 2 Projects, Firestudio 2626, Firestudio Mobile, Mackie MCU, Mackie PROFX 22, Softtube Console 1, All Steinberg CMC´s, Yamaha SY 55, DSI Mopho, Novation Impulse 49, KRK Rokits 6´s, KRK VXT 8´s, SE Electronics HP6, SM Audio Mpatch 2.0+ 2.1, CME 61, Nocturn 25, UAD Plugins Galore, TC Voicelive Touch, Faderport, UAD Apollo Twin Duo, Satellite Quad, Quad PcIe, Warm Audio 76, JoeMeek MC2, DBX 266XS. TC C300x3, M350, Yamaha REV 7.
by SwitchBack on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:32 pm
When that mic picks up your breathing and noise from the next room then there's plenty gain. Are you using that mic correctly? Most large-diaphragm mics are side address... :reading:
by victorbazarov on Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:07 pm
Armando,

Just to let you know, your situation is not unique. I was struggling with the same trouble on my iOne (my post about it is here). It's not you or your microphone. I got a different interface (from another manufacturer), and no more gain problems.

When I communicated with Presonus tech support about this gain behavior of iOne, they told me it was designed that way. I wish I knew that before buying it...
by nathanvandermolen on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:56 pm
Hi, I'm having the exact same issue. When recording guitar directly into the input, the gain knob works as intended and is plenty loud enough at half way. But when using my mics (I have both the M7 and a dynamic), I have to crank the gain nearly to max just to get a strong enough signal, and even then it's too quiet in playback.

So what victor is saying is that I either have to live with it or buy a whole new interface? Is there really no other solution?

Edit: Using iTwo into Studio One 3 Artist on Windows 10 64 bit, if that helps.
by isuruw on Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:22 am
Exact same issue. I changed 3 microphones and still the problem exists. Very low levels until the knob is turned beyond the last 2 notches and all of a sudden it is easy too much. I tried Audio Technica AT2020, AT2050 And Senheiser MK4. Same with line inputs.

So after reading this thread it seems it's the device's fault?

Intel Core i7 - 16GB RAM - Win 10 64bit - Cubase 8 Artist - Presonus iTwo - AT2020 - AT2050 - Senheiser mk4
by Aph on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:12 am
I wrote this in another post in Oct of 2015:

"Yes, of course. I complained a few months ago.
That's how it is.
I assume the taper of the potentiometer they use doesn't really match with the design of their preamp."

I don't believe this is "by Design" or "that's the way we made it". I think the factory put in the wrong taper control and Presonus does not want to admit it.

7 posts
Page 1 of 1