6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey Folks.

I've been working on setting up my perfect live performance rig, and have one last piece to do.

So as you can see from the subject, my big question is "Does the iTwo Send MIDI Messages via the USB Connection?". Specifically, I'm trying to pull off a solution for all my gear that doesn't use any 5-pin DIN MIDI cables.

Here's what I have so far:
Laptop running Windows 10 and various drivers/apps needed to support everything below
Sound Module: Yamaha Motif Rack XS set to send/receive MIDI via the USB port to/from the laptop
MIDI Controller: Arturia KeyLab 88 which is connected to the same laptop via another USB connector.
The above solution is working perfectly!

Now, for the hard part...
Presonus AudioBox iTwo with USB connected to same laptop -- hoping I don't have to figure out a way to setup 5-pin DIN MIDI cables via another USB interface).
Apple iPad V4 running Arlo Media's BandHelper app, which can send/receive MIDI control commands and SysEx.
The problem I'm having is that there doesn't appear to be any communication between the iPad (via BandHelper) to the Motif XS.

When I get home tonight, I'll add a MOTU Fastlane USB/MIDI device to the mix, and add the two 5-pin DIN MIDI cables IN/OUT just to see if this helps, and update this post.

As always, thanks for any insights you can offer!

Cheers,
Tony G.
by matthewgorman on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:33 am
Not sure I follow you, but I'll give it a shot. Yes the iTwo can send midi messages, but it doesn't have to. If you already have midi connection via usb, and its syncing with the program you are using, then the iTwo is just going to be the output soundcard for the rig.

Admittedly I am not familiar with the pieces you have, and how they are hooked up, so there is a possibility things start conflicting with each other. The theory above should be how it works. If it gets jammed up, let us know and we may be able to help troubleshoot. Support would also be an option to get things running. If you don't own all the items listed yet, and are looking to purchase, I would ask the question to support prior to purchase to see if there are known issues that you could run in to.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by tonygardner on Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:24 pm
Thanks for jumping in, Matt. I really appreciate it!

Tell you what -- let's simplify things down to the real issue.

Take an AudioBox iTwo and plug it's USB port to a laptop with all appropriate Presonus drivers. Now, connect your iPad using a certified Apple USB to lightning connector. For the sake of what I'm asking here, no 5-pin DIN MIDI cables would be plugged in.

Now connect any USB friendly sound module to the same laptop with all appropriate drivers.

At this point if I use any app that can send MIDI messages, will those messages get to the USB sound module?
by matthewgorman on Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:35 pm
Sorry Tony, I'm a little dense today. Not sure what you mean by sound module, and where the iTwo comes in to play in the setup, but the question would seem to be better asked to Yamaha. What will you be asking the iTwo to do? The midi functionality is somewhat of an adapter if you will. Its only going to be functional for anything connected directly to it. By design, it will allow you to connect a midi controller, for purposes of writing midi data to a daw. It will also take midi data already recorded, and pass it out to a midi controller to take advantage of on board sounds on that controller, which would have to be recorded analog out of the controller.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by mattcaprio on Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:11 am
tonygardner wroteTake an AudioBox iTwo and plug it's USB port to a laptop with all appropriate Presonus drivers. Now, connect your iPad using a certified Apple USB to lightning connector.

Here's the problem.

Connecting a computer and an iPad at the same time is not supported. It's one or the other.
by tonygardner on Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:16 am
Thanks everyone for all your input. I would say that this question has definitely been answered!

I did want to add a final update, however, for those who might come across this post since I ended up using a different solution for getting everything working nicely.

Okay, so the original thought really was that I wanted to be able to use my iTwo to send MIDI without using the MIDI ports. Clearly, this is not how the iTwo was designed, so that's out of the question. Almost all my subsequent research pointed to another hardware product (iConnectMIDI) for this task, and I was very close to buying one.

To be honest, I'm not sure how I stumbled on this, but I found an IOS app called MusicIO which allows you to simply plug a $10 lightning to USB cable directly from the iPad to the Mac's USB port. The developer site provides drivers that go on the Mac, and as long as you start their app first, you are done.

The irony of it all is that another major discovery that I made was that you HAVE to use 5-pin DIN MIDI cables to connect the MIDI controller to the Yamaha Motif XS Rack (the sound module).

I realize that most of this is not Presonus centric discussion, so I will leave it at that. Of course, if I ever need to record audio or MIDI to/from my iPad, the iTwo is my go to device.

6 posts
Page 1 of 1