Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
11 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am desperately hoping that I can buy an 1818VSL to use with my 16.4.2AI.
Can I use Capture to record 24 Channels (8 + 16) ?
Also can I use Universal Control to control everything. It is OK if I use Univ. Cont. AI for the 16 and a separate Univ. Cont. for the 8.
by mwright137 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:00 am
The two are not compatible.

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by talmen on Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:31 pm
You can use a FireStudio Project, however. :)

Mid 2010 27" iMac, 8GB RAM, 2.93 GHz i7
OS 10.10.4
S1 v 3.0.2 build 34331
by mwright137 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:22 pm
Not with an AI mixer.

StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by talmen on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:09 pm
Thanks for correcting me on that. I didn't realize that the AI could not daisy chain with the FSP as the non-AI does. I'll try to refrain from steering someone wrong on that in future. :)

Mid 2010 27" iMac, 8GB RAM, 2.93 GHz i7
OS 10.10.4
S1 v 3.0.2 build 34331
by mwright137 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:43 am
All good. It's always good to have the questions other may answer so they can find their answers here...

My Website
by TMurphy on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:54 am
Please help me. I feel I was indirectly mis-led by Presonus. When I was deciding to buy my 16.4.2AI, I was split between buying the older, less expensive 16.4.2 and the new AI. The older touted that it could clearly be expanded with the 1818VSL into 24 channels of recording. The AI literature never said yes or no. I opted for the AI.
I need to be able to record 24 channels. What should I do? Sell my AI and buy the older non-AI? Would I be able to use the Mac aggregate feature and use some other manufacturer's 8 channel interface? Is there a plan to make a Presonus interface that is compatible with the 16.4.2AI? I think it is ridiculous that I am begging for a product to be compatible with the same manufactureer's product. :!:
by mwright137 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:52 am
The StudioLive mixers (AI and classic both) are FireWire interfaces. Neither one of them has ever been compatible with a USB interface such as the 1818. I'm not sure where you read this, but it is simply not true and never was.

The Classic StudioLive mixers could be cascaded with the FireStudio interfaces because they are both FireWire. They could also be cascaded with other StudioLive mixers.

The AI mixers can now be cascaded with other AI mixers, but cannot be cascaded with the classic StudioLive mixers or with the FireStudio interfaces. So your only (supported) option for more than 16 channels is a second AI mixer or a larger AI mixer.

As you mentioned, there is a possibility to MAYBE make something work with aggregate devices on a Mac, but it is not supported. As far as PreSonus's plans for future development, those are industry trade secrets and are rarely, if ever, released to the public.

My Website
by TMurphy on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:51 pm
I thought it was the 1818vsl but it was the 8 chan Firestudio. I don't care. Bottom line is I'm left out here with a supposedly better mixer that is not compatible with ANY presonus 8 chan. interface while the older mixer was fine.
Why can't you publish what your plan is for an 8 chan. companion to this mixer or for an update or fix to an existing interface? You early on published that you would have Dante and Thunderbolt interfaces which have not yet appeared. I think they are more interesting to your competition than you releasing, what is it, your 5th version of an 8 chan. interface. I'm not asking for anything new, I am asking for something old that is compatible with your own product.
I don't want to publish a picture of this mixer being tossed in a dumpster :!:
by roblof on Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:49 am
You can't blame presonus for your bad research. I mean, you have access to all of the published info plus the forum to check stuff before buying into specialized configurations.

Also, you can take any ai-mixer and expand that up to 48(?) channels by cascading them.

Why did you not get the 24ai if you needed 24 channels? It should be approx the same money as an ai + 8-channel interface.

That aside you can probably get up to 23 channels on your 16ai.

16 normal inputs
4 aux inputs
2 two-track inputs
1 talkback input

If my memory serves me then all of these inputs are visible for recording in one way or another.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by mwright137 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:03 am
32, actually. You can only choose 18 in Capture, but a DAW will see all 32 streams.

My Website

11 posts
Page 1 of 1