Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I've been multitrack recording my bands shows and the resulting product is great for hearing how we did individually, running virtual sound checks and for mixing later down the road; but it would be nice to also have a recording of what was coming out of the mains during the performance so we can hear how it sounded to the audience.

Is it possible to record the live mix at the same time as the multi track?

I'm running Studio One 5 with a Midas MR18 mixer.
by SwitchBack on Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:57 am
Hi and welcome to this forum :)

The answer is maybe, as the Midas User's Manual is incredibly concise on the subject. To find out you have to check the USB Output Routing of the mixer (see section 5.14 in the manual). That will probably give you the option to use a pair of the the mixer's 18 USB output channels to send the main mix. Which then means that you have only 16 USB output channels left for sending mixer inputs to the computer.

For Studio One it makes no difference what the content of the 18 USB channels is. It will treat the stereo main mix just like any other input. Up to you if you want to use it as the start for your Studio One mix or just for reference.

Last remark: Don't be surprised if the main mix sounds nothing like what you heard on the night. The speakers, the room, the audience, the noise and for lack of a better word your own frame of mind all affect the experience. Maybe a pair of room mics do a better job capturing all that.
by jebbyslonar on Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:18 pm
Yes, I do it every day live on live video recording. Just run your master into the OBS, via a dual interface setup, out one interface into the other, or simply out some outs and in some ins on the interface. Pick that set of ins up in OBS. I additionally throw in all the stereo synths and the stereo drum kit, in my OBS ins from whichever interface ins of the 2 interfaces they are best gotten from. OBS runs an ASIO4all type selection of ins for its sources. So you can have all you want and mix them all to video, which will have 1 mix, while your recorded audio in the DAW will have the capability to mix further.

You want to use a very powerful computer, or possibly 2 computers and a network 1000/1000 connection. This will be best if both. Both a very powerful computer and a gigabit connected 2nd computer for encoding your live video. The OBS on the first computer just sends all sources across the NDI plugin to the 2nd computer, which is not that much to do. So both computers work very hard depending on your amount of ins and what plugins etc. This I do every time I sit down, turning on both computers, the MUSIC and AUDIO computer I use is the one with 12/24 desktop tower type AORUS. The video encoding computer which makes most of my uploaded video is an 8/16 laptop with the battery removed. Both being Ryzens.

The videos are great to watch and have to upload to the internet. made one today
https://www.bitchute.com/video/hUDz2SGlPDcM/
made one yesterday too:
https://www.bitchute.com/video/pfi6I7RiUmSw/
always good to do.

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
Presonus Studio interfaces:
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
Searching for a new place to upload this music and videos? There is no place decent anymore too many morons on Bitchute, and too much censorship everywhere else.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1