Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello, my name is Tea and I’m new to all of this. Just looking for answer that I can’t seem to find anywhere. I’m a beginner n definitely an amateur but I do have decent gears. I recently bought a new Presonus Studio Live r16 rack mount digital mixer that works off of UC Surface and Universal Control software. There are no physical knobs or fader n everything is controlled by the UC surface software. I have d mixer hooked up to a pair of qsc k12.2 n a qsc k-sub. I’m not in a band and being Asian , my only application is for home karaoke purposes n I don’t do any recordings. I have a Sennheiser e-845 mic. My question is what would be the most ideal or best setting for vocal as I will set it to channel 1 output of the mixer. I tried using the 365 Digital Reverb on FxA n same Digital Reverb on FxB. Played around with all the other option as well but it gets too confusing n since I’m not a pro in any sense , I thought I could seek help on this forum. I’m thinking there should be a general setting that most could apply to any voice in general n would like to know what in general would be a decent setting for singing live. N regarding the use of compressor/gate/ n limiter.. it’s just too much for me. I feel like I have to take some serious course for a year to figure out all this. Perhaps, if someone could help me just with some of the popular settings that I could just set one time n mayb tweak it here n there would be nice. Please help!!!
Lost n confused n I’m having a Bday party for wife coming this February so please anyone…. Help???
by wahlerstudios on Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:17 pm
All mixers come with Fat Channel sound presets , which are meant as help to get to know the Fat Channel options. It's no "must" to load presets, but they can be useful. They will work for you, or not. Check the screenshot where to find the presets. If it is the case that there is nothing to find, the rack mixer will need a factory reset.

Attachments
Presets.jpg
by SwitchBack on Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:41 pm
Here's a step by step which may be useful:

1. Reset the mixer’s current settings to default: In UC click on the ‘files’ button above the GEQ button, reset the current project, wait a few seconds, then reset the current scene. Then click on ‘X’ to return UC to normal mixer view. Now you have a clean sheet to work from.

2. Set up you microphone channel: Connect the microphone to mixer input 1. In UC select ‘Main’ (if the button isn’t highlighted already) and select Channel 1 (by clicking below the Ch.1 fader). Then click the presets button below the FX button. Roll down the list of presets until you find ‘Male 1’… ‘Female 3’. You can try out any of these but for now select ’Female 1’ and click on ‘Recall’. Then click the presets button again to return UC to normal mixer view.

3. Set the input gain for Channel 1: In UC click on ‘Compressor’ (near the top of the UC window) to bring the channel 1 compressor settings in view. Sing into the microphone and at the same time turn up the Pre knob (left of the HPF knob). Set Pre to where normal singing level stays below the blue dot on the compressor graph and loud singing goes above the blue dot. You can always change this Pre gain to your liking.

4. Set the output level to your speakers: Connect your QSC speakers to the main outputs of the mixer. Set gain on the QSCs low (e.g. 2 clicks above minimum). In UC move the fader of channel 1 up to the thin line (0.00dB). Also move the Main fader (right side of the UC window) up to the thin line. Now adjust gain on your QSC speakers to the level you prefer when you sing into the microphone. You can fine-adjust the level with the faders in UC.

5. Select an effect: In UC click the FX button. This will show you the effect selected for FX A, probably Digital XL Reverb with default setting "Van”. Choose a more appropriate default setting, e.g. ’Tight Room’. Then click the FX button again to return UC to normal mixer view.

6. Adjust the effect: In UC click the ‘FX A’ button (the faders turn purple). Move the purple channel 1 fader up to the thin line. Also move the purple FX A fader to the thin line. Then sing into the microphone. You probably want to adjust the FX A fader down a bit for a more pleasant amount of effect. You can also choose another effect or another preset for FX A.

7. Improve the effect in the mix (optional): In UC click the ‘FX A’ button (the faders turn purple). Then highlight the FX A fader by clicking below it (UC switches to the settings for the FX A channel). Select the Equalizer and turn it on (with the button left of “Equalizer”). Then set an EQ curve similar to the one in this picture (does not need to be exact).
Screenshot 2022-01-08 at 19.07.02.png
This is filtering the low and high frequencies for a more pleasant mix of microphone and effect.

That should be it. See how far you get with these settings and let us know if you need further hints :)
by tailai on Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:06 pm
First, I wanna give special thanks to Wahlerstudio n Switchback for the valuable info n instruction. I will go from here n try my best to follow your instruction. It’s so helpful n thank you so much again.
by tailai on Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:52 pm
Hi, I just checked n followed ur instruction. Thing is, I don’t have any of the presets. How can I install them?

Attachments
72C40A82-B994-4966-9F02-7E883AC3BDF7.jpeg
by tailai on Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:54 pm
Oops… found it .. it’s under vocal settting
by wahlerstudios on Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:57 pm
You are looking at the selection "Other", which indeed might have no preset, Check the other selections or "All". If there is nothing, do the " Mute All Button Reset".

StudioLive Series III Rack - Factory Reset and Firmware Revert

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... are-Revert
by wahlerstudios on Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:58 pm
Glad you found it. ;-)
by tailai on Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:19 am
Hi Mr Wahlerstudio, do you happen to know of anyone in the Houston area that I can pay to come over and kinda give me a basic tutorial n kinda set up my settings to my liking?

9 posts
Page 1 of 1