Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
2 posts
Page 1 of 1
How to mic a Leslie in a Small Studio
Hello all:

I’ve been away from the forum a while with my dumb questions, but I’m back.
I’ve just purchased a small Leslie for my Hammond Sk1-73. I have absolutely no experience in how to mic this cabinet: Up until now I’ve just been using the digital Leslie on the Hammond which sounds pretty authentic, however I’m sure the external cabinet will sound better if I can find a way to mic it into my interface.

I’m working in a very small bedroom studio, so my big concern is going to be feedback. My rack consists of the Hammond SK1-73, which is connect to a Korg 88 that I’m using for the lower manual, via MIDI cable and a Roland JD-XI Synth connected to an old Yamaha that I’m using mostly just for the bigger keys. Then my midi controller via USB to the interface. I also have another 88 key digital piano on the rack that I’m only using externally for the weighted keys. All six keyboards are going into my Scarlet 18i8 interface. I’m coming out of the interface into my sub then into four studio monitors.

The Leslie does not have a line out, so I will probably just use a TRS splitter to connect the cabinet to my sub, or maybe just to the last monitor since it is only mono. I’m recording in stereo and all of the keyboards are stereo into the interface and out to the monitors but the Leslie Cab will be mono. I’m using Studio One Artist.

I know I’m going to need to buy some better mics. For now I only have two large diaphragm condenser mics. I’m not really a singer and have mostly just been using those two mics for acoustic guitars, but not sure how the large condenser mics will work for this. I’m sure I will need something more directional, but I’m on a tight budget and will have to make do with what I have for a while.

Because this little Leslie does not use the 11 pin jack, which I understand shuts off the internal Leslie when connected. The inputs are just ¼’ guitar jacks I may be able to use both the External Cabinet alongside the internal one controlling rotor speed with separate expression pedals. I’m just wondering how or if it is even possible to mic this external cabinet into my interface in the small space with what I have. I’m sure this is pretty basic stuff for most of you, but as a rank amateur and hobbyist, I will appreciate any feedback

Here's a link where you can see my setup: Leslie will be in the upper right corner where the guitar stand is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doGQs2F ... z16rjD6Be4

Windows 11 i7, 16 Gig,
Studio One 5 Professional
by PAE Seth on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:26 am
I've mic'd the typical large framed Leslie's before. Usually requires around 3 mics (two on the upper body, one on the lower body).

If you post some pictures of the unit, I could make some suggestions.

PC #1: Asus Prime Z690-P, i5-12600k 10-core (6+4), 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz, RTX 3060 12GB, ADATA XPG 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Black HDD

PC #2: ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II, i7-7820X 8c/16t, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, GTX 1060 3GB, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD (Win10 Pro), Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (Win11 Pro), OWC Aura 512GB NVMe M.2, 2 x 1TB HDD

Mac: 2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.33 GHz, 32GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD RX 5500 XT 8GB, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card, Aquantia 10Gbps AVB card, Dual eSATA PCIe + Stardom 8xHDD Raid Tower

2 posts
Page 1 of 1