Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
1. If I cascade two StudioLive Ai mixers, one a 32.4.2 and say a 24.4.2, do I still only get the 14 Aux sends on the "master" board or do I get the ones from the "slave" as well.

2. If I cascade, will each board show up separately on my ipad or are they connected as one big board. The classic models were separated.

3. This is weird question, hang with me. We use the Aux sends to feed stereo headphone amps at each musicians station. The problem is, the aux send is a balanced TRS and so are the returns on the stage snake we use. If I use a balanced cable to go from the snake to the headphone amp, I get a mono signal and hear it in one ear only. So to fix this, I use (I think) a mono to stereo adapter at the snake. It works fine, except over time, the cable bends and the connection gets wonky. It's an okay fix, but I would like to figure out a better way to do this. Our church is fitting out new space and I want to do this right using the same basic principles. Described here. Except, I want a wall mounted mic outlet to include the returns we need. Keep in mind that I would like the option of using a couple returns for an occasional powered floor monitor. Any ideas, or did I lose you?
by wahlerstudios on Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:49 pm
1) The auxes of the "master" are the measure. Auxes are NOT added when SL AI mixers are cascaded.

2) They show up separately in two tabs. This is because of limits of FireWire. Cascading two RM mixers through AVB (in any combination) always unites them to a 64 channel board with 16 auxes.

3) This might be a good solution for you: http://www.presonus.com/products/HP2. In connection with remote control (iPhone, iPad) this is a solid and also easy solution for InEar-monitoring. For singers the HP2 might be a little bit to big and too heavy, so wireless InEar monitoring or wedges probably are a better solutions.
by COEA on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:41 am
Thanks. I figured that was the case with the Ai's.

The HP2 looks interesting. I'm thinking only a couple people would opt to actually wear it. The rest would use it like we do now. We only play a few songs each service and some of the band members are also in the choir or have other duties. I think the only real selling point for us is the ability have stereo without adapters however, it still needs the one provided. I was looking at the HP4. Do you think there is a way that would work for us? ART makes a similar model. We are using the Behringer MicroAmps. ART also makes the My Monitor which I've used before and know works. I might go back to that one.

Thanks for the help!
by COEA on Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:44 am
Sorry, one more question. We currently have the 32.4.2 Ai. If we buy a 16 or 24 later, does it matter which one is slave and master? I recall a while back that the classics required special attention to model numbers when deciding which mixer is master and slave. We would obviously want to use the 32 as the master to make sure we get all the auxes.
by wahlerstudios on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:57 am
The HP4 has only one stereo input, so the four headphone outputs amplify the same stereo signal. I think a HP60 or any other of that kind of headphone amplifier will be more usable for you. I use an ART "HeadAmp 6 Pro" and some "Fischer Amps Mini Bodypack Jack with Volume Control" (https://www.thomann.de/gb/fischer_amps_mini_bodypack_klinke_mit_ls.htm). This beltpack has a very strong clip, keeping the beltpack reliably fixed to the belt. Of course, for solutions like this you need to have propper cables and very good connectors for the manually stressed ends of the cables.

Another solution is to use small analog mixers like the StudioLive AR8 (http://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-AR8-USB) - or even smaller mixers. Any mixer with two XLR or line inputs and a headphone amplifier built in does the job. All you have to do is to run two XLR cables from the stagebox to the mixer. This works well for musicians who sit while they play.

With the AI boards any of them can be the master, but if you want 14 auxes, the SL 32.4.2.AI needs to be the master.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1