Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
2 posts
Page 1 of 1
Can i use one or more of the 31 band eqs on the studio 24.4 to improve the mix out of my aux sends to the in ear monitors we use. Also what is a good setting for this?
by wahlerstudios on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:52 pm
The "classic" SL 24.4.2 has eight 31-band graphic equalizers assignable in four stereo pairs (mono or stereo operation, main outputs, aux outputs, subgroup outputs). Usually you would use two for the main outputs, so there are six left, which is six mono or three stereo in ear mixes. Therefore two mono mixes or one stereo mix would lack the graphic EQ, which may be limiting.

I would say you don't need graphic EQs for in ear monitoring. The parametric EQ of the Fat Channel of each mix out is enough. It allows you to "shape" the sound in the way people need it. I tend to add a little bass, lower the low mids, raise the high mids (also frequency) a little bit and add some highs for transparency. Normally that is enough to make in ear hearing enjoyable.

But people physically hear different, besides all musical preferences. What is good for one person must not be good for another. You need learn from the feedback you get from the musicians. In general NEVER GO MONO with in ear mixes. This is totally unnatural. Everybody deserves a good stereo mix, which has "space" and "air". Also a little bit of stereo reverb ("room") supports the fun.

And: Try it yourself. Listen to the mix first, before you offer it to somebody. Live recordings (Capture) allow you to feed the tracks back to the channels, so you can check any hearing situation. If you have kept the settings from the last gig, you should hear e.g. what the drummer has heard or the keyboarder. Drummers of course also hear a lot of their kit, so their mix is always "added" to what they already hear. They need to hear more kick than snare...

Hope this helps.

2 posts
Page 1 of 1