Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I need an audio interface for a home studio set-up, but as I'm also doing live sound, is there any reason why the rack mount mixer wouldn't do the job?

Same mic pre-amps and a ton of inputs. Price per channel is a lot less than say a Studio 192. What am I missing? :reading:

Richard
by SwitchBack on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:04 pm
Yes, it's a lot of mixer for what you pay. And you're missing nothing unless you feel uncomfortable mixing a show from screens (tablet, touchscreen PC).
by sjc193 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:35 pm
There are a few important differences.

RM32 is FireWire800 based recording, up to 96K

Studio192 is USB based recording, up to 192K

RM32 UC Surface is great for live sound, does not even need a computer in the loop as it has Ethernet control functionality, plug into the LAN of a WIFI router and you're up and running with an iPad. Also quite capable for Studio work once one "Gets" that there are no direct connections from DAW (headphone mixes) to outputs but that it can easily be done via the inputs (or just mix heaphones in UC Surface instead of the DAW like you should)

Studio192, not really made for live sound. More like a typical studio interface with direct connection from DAW to outputs. But it does have UC Surface that you could mix a live show on, but no Ethernet, so you have to connect a computer with USB to use UC Surface, then I'm not sure about wifi and iPads as I don't own the 192.

My opinion, as an RM32 owner, if you know how to use FireWire to record and can be happy with that, and happy with 96K over FW800 (only 48K if you buy the Daunte card BTW), get the RM32, it's a killer piece for the low price tag. I've used mine for 2 years and have not yet had an issue (dropout, crash, showstopper, broken anything) and I do live shows every week if not more in the summer and I record every channel every time. Best mixer I've ever had.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by matthewgorman on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:56 pm
I have both. The biggest difference is that there is no direct access to the outputs from the daw. Meaning, for studio phones mixes, you need to get the signal from the daw, back to the mixer, then manage the phones mixes from the mixer. I give the performers access to their auxes via qmix and uc surface, and they do it on their own.

I really like the sound of both, but I lean toward the RM as my preference.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5

4 posts
Page 1 of 1