Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm reviewing the StudioLive 24.4.2AI and it's a bit surprising that it has a fader locate feature but no knob locate feature. The biggest issue is that turning the knob makes it jump to the current setting. Pretty surprising that isn't in place yet IMO. Is adding that feature on the roadmap?

Thanks
by wahlerstudios on Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:44 am
Besides gain you don't need any knob, because AFTER the gain section everything happens in the digital domain. Any setting (volume, EQ, processing) can be stored and recalled any time. This is the beauty of UC Surface. You can leave all SL's knobs at zero and change all settings on your screen.

If you prefer to work in the traditional way, use the knobs as you are used to, but protect them from overwriting their values by recalling scene or settinsg. This is done in system menue. Then you always get what you see on your SL... ;-)
by robolmos on Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:46 pm
wahlerstudios wroteIf you prefer to work in the traditional way, use the knobs as you are used to, but protect them from overwriting their values by recalling scene or settinsg. This is done in system menue. Then you always get what you see on your SL... ;-)

Some additional background: I'll be setting up the board with scenes for a church and then allowing the less experienced to recall a scene. This way they can still get it close enough when I'm not there. They're volunteers that like the physical board instead of software, so they won't be using the computer.

In the manual it says:

Power User Tip: If you enable knob positions (recalling group “pots”) as a part of
your scene recall, all of the digital knobs (Aux outputs, FXA-FXD levels, Solo, 2 Track
In, Phones, Monitor, Talkback, Aux Input A and Aux Input B knobs) will remain at their
stored position until they are moved manually. Once a knob is turned, its value will
jump to the value of its current physical position. Therefore, if you intend to save a scene
and recall the “pots” group later, it is highly recommended that you use the recall sheet
provided in the back of this manual to note the stored position of these controls.

Basically I'm wondering if the ability to locate the knobs like the faders is on the roadmap.

Thanks
by wahlerstudios on Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:38 pm
Nobody in this users forum knows, what PreSonus is intending to do. For that you better have a look at the press department of this website. You can also make a feature request in the answers department and see if somebody supports your suggestion.

The manual says it correct and for my personal use I have the recalling of all "pots" enabled. But there is nobody else working on the boards and I more or less always use the same settings. It is a totally different thing to have multiple users involved with no direct communication and a variety of experience and knowledge. There are quite some users around here from churches, so if you would start a new thread ("how to ... in a church"), I bet they will share their experiences and give you some good advice.

The problem you will run into with recalling "pots" is that you will NOT always get, what you see. You see the knobs and their value, but recalling a scene may bring up totally different settings ("overwriting" what the knobs show), so there suddenly might be problems with feedback and you don't know, where that comes from. That is why I recommend to leave the "pots" (and faders) to their physical settings. It is helpful for everybody working on the board, to SEE how all levels are adjusted. In my opinion this is the beauty of the SL boards. There is everything physically and optically "at hand"!

It may make sense to not use a computer, but an iPad would be helpful for visual control. You only need a router to make this work. Especially young people need to see graphical representations of functions. The fat channel is much better to "understand" in UC Surface than on the board itself. PreSonus offers an iPad stand which is meant to be fixed to two srewholes at the back of your SL.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1