Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
10 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm considering buying a Presonus RM32AI. There are some things I'm not sure about:

Dante:
- Is it possible to use the RM32AI together with other devices from different manufacturers within a Dante network?
- Is it possible to use two RM32AI units to record up to 64 inputs?

AVB: What hard/software would I need to record on a windows PC (or better even two, as I'd need a backup for live-recordings). I've read somewhere that AVB on the Presonus is NOT compatible to other AVB devices... really?

UC surface: I could only try the demo of UC surface, but I got some questions regarding that.

Is it really not possible to color-code the channels (the area behind the faders/meters or at least parts of it/the background of the icons)? :shock:
The interface of the UC surface software is a low-contrast design without any visual help to instantly grab what you're searching. As it's meant to be used with a touchscreen this is really asking for trouble (and may be the reason I will NOT buy this). Could anyone please ask Presonus to implement color-coding into the interface? I think that this would really help a lot! (I can't make a feature-request as I do not own a Presonus product personally yet and those are the rules...)

Is there a way to easily bring back the faders to 0dB?
I found a way to set them to minimum, but I'd rather like to have an option to set them to unity gain wherever they were before.

Is there a way to select mutliple channels e.g. to build a subgroup without selecting each and every channel after one another? (e.g. shift-click or alt and drag?)

Is the only way to build a "custom layer" with some important channels, groups, DCAs and FX-returns to build filter-DCAs for each of them? If not => feature request!

There should be a shortcut to mute all FX-sends instantly (in between songs...) as it makes no sense to mute/unmute all 4 one after another. If it isn't => feature request!

There should be a way to "return home" (to a destination you could choosem but probably all the inputs...) from anywhere with some kind of "exit"-button (or the Esc-button on the keyboard). Just imagine you're editing an FX and just quickly need to adjust a level. Grabbing your faders should be as quick as possible.

Why are the frequencies of the 4 bands of the equalizer still limited? With the hardware there may habe been a reason as the interface would limit the number of frequencies you could display on the LED-meters. But the RM-series shouldn't need that limitation. The LMF-Band goes down to 90Hz - sometimes I'd rather use the LF-shelve to boost and cut some resonant frequency within the LF-area below 100Hz. The upper limit of the LMF is 1.2k - I've been using a StudioLive 24.4.2 desk quite often and I didn't like that limitation either.
With many other digital mixers that's no problem... (X32)

Would like to hear from users or Presonus themselves.
by roblof on Thu May 19, 2016 1:08 am
For the dante parts - This should work out of the box with any manufacturer that uses dante.

So far I've seen no recording solution for avb on the windows platform, but to be honest I've stopped looking... Presonus have not enabled the functionality to record over avb at this time so if you need recording support over ethernet then dante is your only choise today.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by czielberg on Thu May 19, 2016 2:49 am
Thanks roblof, the more I find out about networked audio, Dante seems to be the way to go. AVB on the other hand seems to be a desert island (or maybe a group of those). Hopefully AES67 might change things a bit, but Dante is the only format that seems to be widely accepted/implemented - and just works (AFAIK).

It's quite costly though... have you seen the price for the PCIe-card (the one you could use for ultra low latency and higher channel count)? And Dante is an option most of the time, so at least another 500-600€ have to be invested for each device. For professionals this is a no brainer, but for others this could keep them from diving into it.

So apart from that - any comments regarding my other questions / suggestions?
by sjc193 on Thu May 19, 2016 9:21 am
You make some good points, it would be nice to have one button to mute all FX in between songs, but the big one I really agree with is making the PEQ work on any frequency, there is no sense in keeping them restricted like that, seems like an easy fix too to me.

I'm about to use the iPad outside tonight, I would like to see the interface brightened up a bit, but last summer as long as I could shade it it was fine, useless under direct sunlight, I may try inverting the colors tonight to see how that works.

What you haven't seen with the demo version is how you can see a spectragraph of every channel in and out, this only works on a computer attached to the rm with FireWire, so what I've done is remote into my Windows PC with my iPad, then I can bring the Windows UC surface up and run it just as if it were the iPad app, but it's actually the Windows app connected via FireWire and I get all the spectrometers, it's AWESOME!!!

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by czielberg on Thu May 19, 2016 1:07 pm
Another feature request: I would really like to have an overview with all the gains. One of the reasons why I've been choosing ther StudioLive for the school I'm working for has been, that the StudioLive has (analog) gain-controls for all mic-inputs, so you can adjust all the gains VERY quick when a new ensemble comes on stage. That's not possible with Behringer X32 or other digital mixers AFAIK.

With the RM32AI there could be a digital representation of all mic-gains on one page (e.g. 4 rows with 8 channels each). Combined with the meterbridge it could be a breeze to quickly correct gains where needed.

As I'm considering the RM32 for live-recording-purposes I'd really like to have that.
by matthewgorman on Thu May 19, 2016 1:21 pm
Another feature request:

Boy, do I have a website for you then!

In all seriousness, there is a new(ish) website for feature requests, which includes a voting aspect to gauge popularity for specific items. link below.

http://answers.presonus.com/questions/s ... e-requests

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by roblof on Thu May 19, 2016 1:59 pm
czielberg wroteAnother feature request: I would really like to have an overview with all the gains. One of the reasons why I've been choosing ther StudioLive for the school I'm working for has been, that the StudioLive has (analog) gain-controls for all mic-inputs, so you can adjust all the gains VERY quick when a new ensemble comes on stage. That's not possible with Behringer X32 or other digital mixers AFAIK.

With the RM32AI there could be a digital representation of all mic-gains on one page (e.g. 4 rows with 8 channels each). Combined with the meterbridge it could be a breeze to quickly correct gains where needed.

As I'm considering the RM32 for live-recording-purposes I'd really like to have that.

Pressing select to choose the mic channel to control is as fast as moving to the next ha-gain encoder in my opinion. At least with the consoles I've worked with.

I've found that metering is more important than an oveview of the ha-gain controls. YMMV

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by czielberg on Thu May 19, 2016 2:51 pm
Pressing "select" and THEN modifying gain is one step more than just grabbing the next one on the same page.
And with the user interface right now you probably can't have all the channels onscreen at once, so there's probably even one more click in this case.

@matthewgorman: As I do not personally own a Presonus product and can't register one I'm not allowed to post feature requests or to vote. I have been asking the moderators to grant access as I'm a long time user of the StudioLive the school I'm working for purchased. But no exeption from those rules... they told me, I should just post here. So here I am.

In this context I'm missing Presonus officials to answer some of the questions I asked in this "Pre-Sales" area or give some feedback to the features I've been asking about.
by roblof on Thu May 19, 2016 3:30 pm
czielberg wrotePressing "select" and THEN modifying gain is one step more than just grabbing the next one on the same page.
And with the user interface right now you probably can't have all the channels onscreen at once, so there's probably even one more click in this

You mentioned digital mixers in general so I responded to that and not specificly to the rm-mixer.

On a normal digital mixer you keep one hand on the gain encoder while quickly passing over the select buttons or the touch sensitive faders.

I find it hard to follow the gain control on the studiolive down to the correct channel at times due to the visual distance, thus making my adjustments slightly slower. I've grabbed the wrong ha-gain more than once :oops: .

by czielberg on Thu May 19, 2016 4:21 pm
roblof wroteOn a normal digital mixer you keep one hand on the gain encoder while quickly passing over the select buttons or the touch sensitive faders.

I find it hard to follow the gain control on the studiolive down to the correct channel at times due to the visual distance, thus making my adjustments slightly slower. I've grabbed the wrong ha-gain more than once :oops: .

Yes, I sometimes had this problem with the StudioLive too. But with UC surface it would be a nice feature to have all of the gains on one page. It's a virtual surface, so why not go a step further than what is possible with hardware?

10 posts
Page 1 of 1