Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am experimenting with setup button on Universal Control. I select the aux pairs and the subgroup pairs on different channels. I am expecting them to show up in capture as a channel and in universal control. I can see the subgroup faders in UC but I see nothing but my original 16 channels and the main l/r channels for recording.

Why? Am iI expecting too much or just dont understand this function?
by SwitchBack on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:08 am
Capture is limited to the mixer channels plus one stereo pair 'Capture master'. In VSL you can choose what that stereo pair should be: main, pair of subs, pair of auxes, ...

If you want to record all firewire sends you mixer is capable of sending then you have to use a DAW like StudioOne. Again in VSL and depending on your mixer you can pick the sources for all those extra sends.
by UCC in Bayberry on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:11 am
Thanks. I do have Studio. So, can I use Studio one in lieu of UC or capture? or does UC needs to run as an interface?
by matthewgorman on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:17 am
UC is the driver, and is meant for control. Capture or S1 would be the recorders, and you can use either or. Capture was developed back in the day as an answer to many computers being under powered for recording audio. Its a stripped down daw, acting as a digital tape machine essentially. If your pc/mac is sufficiently powered and you feel its reliable enough to run a full daw for recording, then you can certainly use it to record a show.

What mixer do you have?

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by UCC in Bayberry on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:59 am
i have a 16.4.2, non a1. i am using a mac pro .... not sure what ver the OS is. I do know it is at least ver 10. I am a Windows guy so using a Mac is tuff learning curve. I just learned how to hide that bar on the bottom. Do I need to run(OPEN) UC while using Studio One? Sometimes the mixer locks up(No control and no sound) and I find that I need to reboot the Mac to unlock the mixer.it seems it has to with UC opening in Internal mode instead of Presonus for an audio source.
by matthewgorman on Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:05 pm
For a down and dirty live recording, no need to open the UC mixer. Actually, you should probably see a message on the mixer when S1 is open that the mixer is bypassed and the daw has control. This will not affect your mixer functions.

Basically, you can open S1, create a new song, and use the template for the 1642. You will have tracks set up for all inputs, and record armed ready to roll.

As a safety measure to reduce the stress on the computer, before opening a new song, open universal control and increase the buffersize to the max. It doesn't have any effect on the mixer, and reduces the processor overhead on the mac.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by UCC in Bayberry on Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:08 am
Thanks for the S1 tip, Matthew and everyone so far. I have too much information now. I will play with this and see how the Easter service goes! Maybe I can even get the youth group to do a song later on.

7 posts
Page 1 of 1