Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
21 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Can I use an 3rd party usb wifi adapter?

viewtopic.php?p=92320#p92320

I read this post and it seems a 3rd party usb dongle will work.

I want to use this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FB4 ... _i=desktop

It would be way better than the $20 2.4GHz dongle presonus gives. Would also be able to use 5.0GHz instead of 2.4GHz

If anyone knows this answer please let me know. I want to make sure before I go and buy expensive 3rd party equipment. :)

Thanks
by matthewgorman on Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:54 am
Sorry, sometimes it takes a bit to get the information.

Presonus will only support wifi using the included adapter. An adapter using the Realtek RTL8188CU chipset will work on the mixer/CS18, but that chip is a 2.4ghz chip.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by matthewseymour on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:40 am
I view the wifi ability of the RM to be a bit of a waste of time. If it could be it's own AP, like the Behringer X-Air series, that would be handy for some quick setup, or emergency use. But given you need to have an access point, you might as well just use a wired connection, it's always going to be better.
by nathanbeninati on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:05 am
Any plans to sell/support/release a 5.0GHz/adapter?

This kind of should be the standard for something like this anyways. I don't see why it would not.
by matthewgorman on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:41 am
nathanbeninati wroteAny plans to sell/support/release a 5.0GHz/adapter?

This kind of should be the standard for something like this anyways. I don't see why it would not.

No plans that I have seen.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by matthewseymour on Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:09 pm
It's the right call to be honest. Connecting your mixer to wifi and trying to control it over wifi is a disaster waiting to happen. Wire to the mixer... always.
by nathanbeninati on Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:54 pm
matthewseymour wroteIt's the right call to be honest. Connecting your mixer to wifi and trying to control it over wifi is a disaster waiting to happen. Wire to the mixer... always.

I disagree.

I think a high quality router and a 5.0GHz high quality usb dongle should provide a very reliable wireless solution.

Using 2.4GHz and a $20 usb dongle yes I can see that being very less reliable.

I assume it should not take that much work to allow a 5.0GHz adapter that could be sold presonus.

Please look into this somehow allowing the use of 5.0GHz!!! The difference between the two is huge and well worth it.

Thank You
by roblof on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:20 am
nathanbeninati wrote
matthewseymour wroteIt's the right call to be honest. Connecting your mixer to wifi and trying to control it over wifi is a disaster waiting to happen. Wire to the mixer... always.

I disagree.

I think a high quality router and a 5.0GHz high quality usb dongle should provide a very reliable wireless solution.

I would never consider wireless being reliable. When it works it works great, but when it doesn't work... :thumbdown:

I always have a wired backup connected in case of wifi should crap out. I'm considering buying a set of those ethernet powerlines for convinient remote access over mains power. Has anyone tested powerlines in live use?

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by nathanbeninati on Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:01 pm
Obviously wired is better than wireless especially 2.4GHz.

But remember It can go down just like wireless as well.

Again with a real 5.0GHz dongle it will be way more reliable. I am surprised this seems to not have even been considered yet given the nature of the item.

2.4ghz is not the best choice and I do not know why it is even considered. At least give us an option to upgrade.
by matthewseymour on Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:47 pm
Honestly my day job is spent doing a lot of wireless. 5Ghz isn't actually better than 2.4, it's just less crowded but often the range isn't as good. Most low end (read consumer) kit doesn't support DFS so you only have about 4 channels to choose from. Get one wise guy with an AC AP running 80MHz channels and you can wipe out 5GHz.

Just don't use wifi for your main console connection. It's fine for some portable control but having an AP/router and not running a wire to the mixer makes no sense.

Power line is great stuff domestically but you need to have all the outlets on the same supply. Not guaranteed in many venues.
by nathanbeninati on Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:32 pm
matthewseymour wroteHonestly my day job is spent doing a lot of wireless. 5Ghz isn't actually better than 2.4, it's just less crowded but often the range isn't as good. Most low end (read consumer) kit doesn't support DFS so you only have about 4 channels to choose from. Get one wise guy with an AC AP running 80MHz channels and you can wipe out 5GHz.

Just don't use wifi for your main console connection. It's fine for some portable control but having an AP/router and not running a wire to the mixer makes no sense.

Power line is great stuff domestically but you need to have all the outlets on the same supply. Not guaranteed in many venues.

Picture a venue, a church, a club.

You are in the same room as everything. Most likely everything is even in LOS of the AP.

5.0ghz is the way to go. You can push 5,000+ feet of 5.0Ghz by the way with quality equipment.

There is zero reason to just not allow 5.0GHz. 2.4GHz is used by everything from your microwave to everyones bluetooth.

Obviously you don't understand/agree so there is no point to discuss anymore.

Hopefully presonus contact forwards my request.

Thank You
by matthewseymour on Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:55 am
I do understand. And I do agree that 5ghz is always the way to go with wifi. I just don't understand any use case where you wouldn't just use a wire into the back of the mixer. That will always be better. Also... No you can't go 5000ft with anything you might plug into the front of your RM. That's the domain of directional antennas and point to point links. Such things definitely have their place for live connectivity problem solving, for example I've seen Dante carried over a ubiquiti wireless bridge, but of course that would have to be wired in anyway.

Anyhow I'm sure in a later firmware support for a 5GHz chipset can be added. This isn't really the place to ask for that, there's a separate feature request area in answers.presonus.com
by roblof on Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:06 am
Also, being that most of the RM's and SL mixers never get above waist height there is almost never any line of sight when there is a crowd.

Those waterbags eats microwaves like candy. You probably need to elevate the wifi dongle using an usb extender cable and keep that ipad high in the air. :mrgreen:

Does any 2x2 (or more) MIMO wifi dongles exist yet? The ones that I have in my drawer are only SISO.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by nathanbeninati on Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:18 am
matthewseymour wroteI do understand. And I do agree that 5ghz is always the way to go with wifi. I just don't understand any use case where you wouldn't just use a wire into the back of the mixer. That will always be better. Also... No you can't go 5000ft with anything you might plug into the front of your RM. That's the domain of directional antennas and point to point links. Such things definitely have their place for live connectivity problem solving, for example I've seen Dante carried over a ubiquiti wireless bridge, but of course that would have to be wired in anyway.

Anyhow I'm sure in a later firmware support for a 5GHz chipset can be added. This isn't really the place to ask for that, there's a separate feature request area in answers.presonus.com

Yes you can push 5000ft and no not with directional antennas. Please do research.

Just because you see no point in never running a wifi system (there clearly is if you can't see that there is a reason it was designed in the first place) does not mean everyone has to be subjective to your situation/opinion. This is my last response to you because you do not have an open mind and do not understand. Thank You
by roblof on Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:49 am
nathanbeninati wrote
matthewseymour wroteAlso... No you can't go 5000ft with anything you might plug into the front of your RM.

Yes you can push 5000ft and no not with directional antennas. Please do research.

I have never heard of a usb dongle that can push 5000ft/1500meters. And no directional antenna?! :shock:

by nathanbeninati on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:05 am
The AP is what is pushing 5000 feet and your dongle is receiving it.
by matthewseymour on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:09 am
I may not have an open mind, but I do have a lot of experience ;) I'm sorry if I've misunderstood what you're trying to say but....

You seem to be claiming a distance of 5000ft for wifi. That's almost 1 mile. It's 1.5KM. If wifi could cover that distance we'd be able to pick up everybody's wifi across a city. It would be a disaster.

Wifi has a range of about 100-500 metres, maybe a bit more if you're lucky, depending on the data rates supported and required. 2.4GHz goes further than 5GHz for the same amount of power. It also penetrates walls better, but is more strongly attenuated by water, whether that be in the air, in bags (people) or whatever.

My 5GHz wifi at home has a range of about 10 metres because there's a few walls in the way. In open space our high end enterprise outdoor APs will reach a good 200+ metres before the data rates start to fall off dramatically but that's about it... and that's high end kit in open space.

The only reason I'm still chipping in here is because ignorance over how wifi can be used needs to be challenged before folk start trying to do things that won't work.

Different bands of 5GHz wifi allow for different amounts of power. Again, talking typically, consumer wifi kit won't put out the higher amount of power... but that doesn't matter, because your tablet/laptop/dongle in the RM won't do it either and since wifi relies on two way communication it doesn't matter how powerful your AP is because if it can't hear the client the connection will fail.

One also needs to consider that marketing could have said "our mixer needs to do wifi" and the engineers said "sure ok"... and so it does. Is it useful? well, you know my opinion. You're welcome to yours. Just don't claim to deny the laws of physics as you voice it ;)
Last edited by matthewseymour on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
by matthewgorman on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:09 am
Lets keep it civil please

Matt

S1Pro V5
by nathanbeninati on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:32 am
Just to clarify. By 5000 feet I did mean 5000sq feet.

My apologizes. I figured that would normally be assumed.
by matthewseymour on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:33 am
Now.... If you're trying suggest you can cover 5000 square ft with a single AP on 5GHz that's a little more believable... but it also won't work very well for the reasons listed above. The further you get from the AP, the more the data rates fall off and you'll quickly find the application no longer works even though you might be able to, just, maintain a connection. Over long distances 2.4GHz works much better, but things are more crowded.

If I were trying to control a mixer using wifi over a very large area here's what I would do.... Wire the network to the mixer for starters. Then have a directional antenna with maybe a 90degree pattern mounted high as I can. There's some chance that would give a client plenty of range providing nothing gets in the way.

Otherwise use a point to point wireless bridge, something like the Ubiquiti Nanobeam (I have a pair under my desk for this very reason) to link FOH to the stage and then have two wifi APs, one for the stage and one for FOH.

There are lots of ways to do it but wifi to the mixer isn't one of them. I'm sorry for jumping on you. Hopefully this information is useful to someone.

Cheers

21 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2