Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Here is what I am looking to do and I would love some input on how to do this easily.

I have the presonus 16.4.2 hooked up to a laptop. I currently have Capture as my default recording software. I'm not looking to master any tracks at all. I don't really want to spend much time post processing a mix either. I have spent a lot of time dialing in each and every mic we use for live gigs and for practice in my basement. We LOVE the sound we get out of the P.A.

We are a band of 3 who are all busy with family and careers. We love to gig for fun but it is VERY difficult to get together to practice. We charge a premium for our gigs because we don't believe in undercutting, we think it's bad for everyone. But to get that premium price, we need to be spot on. I want to be able to record ourselves during practice so that we can all practice on our own time to our own recordings. This way we all know exactly how WE start each song, what we skip, how we do the breaks and how we end. We also want to use these recordings for demos and on our website. Again, we are so busy with our regular lives I don't want to mess with post processing. Is there a quick and easy way to capture the sound we produce in our basement that we love so much to use as good quality recordings for our website and to practice to ourselves? I have worked with capture. I don't like how it records just the dry signal. All the channel strip EQ's Ive done are gone. Same with all the gates and limiters, etc. I want a recording of what we just played with all the settings in tact and then convert to MP3. Right now I am taking the capture files and importing them into studio one (free version). Then I have to work on all the settings again and I never get it to sound as good as what we had through the presonus board. That has everything to do with the fact I don't know how to use studio one very well.... or ... maybe not at all. So what is the quickest way to do this. Other software? Features in the software I already have but don't know is there??

So many of you are extremely talented with your post processing and I don't want to undermine that. Im very jealous of your talents. For us, we just don't have the time to learn it or do it.
by Karyn on Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:53 pm
What you're doing is the "normal" way it would be done. Capture all the mics at source and remix after the fact.
The issue you're coming up against is that the sound you get from your pa is NOT what your band actually sounds like. What your audience hears, and especially what you hear in your basement, is a mix of the pa and the direct sound from your amps and drums.

Capture can record the processed signal from each 16.4.2 channel, and/or it can record the stereo output that you send to the PA, but it won't sound like you're expecting. You just need to find time to mix your recordings, there's no way around it.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by sjc193 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:01 am
There are many ways to skin this cat, most of them are not quick especially if you want it to sound good.

But I have been working on my own method to make a quick and dirty CD for several years now and I have come up with a method that does work at least well enough to have a CD to listen to in the car and could even impress someone as the sound is decent, but obviously it is impossible to get a Studio Album sound from a live recording even with many hours spent doing a complete remix, it will still sound like a Live Album, which it is.

My favorite way to a quick a dirty CD is to open up your capture tracks in Capture. Set it up to play all mono tracks back through the mixer using Firewire. Be sure to mute any stereo tracks that were recorded toward the bottom of Cature, for instance I always record the Main L/R stereo track, but I typically don't use it (I do have another quick and dirty way to a CD using that track and adding in what is missing but that method doesn't work as well as what I am describing now). Let's assume the mixer is in the same state as it was when the recorded gig was over (otherwise you need to load a scene from the end of that gig so that the mixer is set up the same way it was for the show), be sure to save the scene the way you like the mixer live because you are about to make quite a few changes to the mixer (faders/eq/compression).

I will now play the capture tracks back through the mixer, but instead of using the PA speaker to hear the mixer, you will want to use either some Studio Monitors and/or Headphones. You can now start to remix the recording using the AI mixer, this should be much easier for you to do than using S1 because you are used to the mixer, you've been using it for a long time now, and you can get around on it much faster than S1, and that's OK, why not use it! So, hopefully you are getting the mix to sound decent on some Studio Monitors or Headphones, once iut sounds good and you're happy, set Capture up to record only the Main stereo mix from the mixer (all other record buttons should be disabled) hit record in capture and wait for the entire show to run through. The Mono tracks will be going into the mixer (Virtual Soundcheck method), the mixer will be set up to make a good mix for the headphones, and Capture will be recording Main mix into a single Stereo tacks. I typically just go make dinner and wait a couple hours for it to run throught the whole show, I'd call it a static mix with no automation, but hey we want quick and dirty here right?

When it's done, all that is left is Mastering and slitting up the songs into tracks, the project page in StudioOne Pro is perfect for this, I can make the mix loud with a little EQ if need and split the tracks up and order them all quite easily and quickly that way.

That's how I do it anyway, then I can hear the show in my car, which is all I'm really looking to do, Good Luck!

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by ricknewton1 on Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:05 am
I would suggest getting yourself a little mobile recorder such as the zoom h4.
With carefull room placement you can capture the pa sound you love.
Such devices already have stereo mics inbuilt, and you can add your own, also provides phantom power if required. Added plus is you can add aditiomsl tracks from the mixer.
Easy and inexpensive, results are instant too.
Good luck with your venture.
by SwitchBack on Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:43 am
Yes, you'll never get the acoustics right from your close mic'ed tracks unless you spend some time on mixing/mastering. Even if you set you mixer's channels to 'Post EQ & Dynamics' (to capture the FAT settings too) it still needs work.

If you like the sound in your basement then set up a stereo mic (or a pair of mics in say an XY config) and record it to a stereo track exactly as you hear it. Convert to mp3 and done.
by Bobbo on Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:39 pm
:thumbup: :thumbup: to the mobile recorder

Since I'm already setup and mixing for a practice session,
I'll hang a pencil mic (choir mic) and simply record it directly into capture with the rest of it!

It is also a great little tool to record live jobs as a quick & easy audio track to put on any videos that you take. Way better than on camera mics (non-Pro) for quick youtube videos or promo snips.
you can even take several cell phone videos and spice them together and lay that track underneath for some better than average amateur live videos

This track also comes in handy when your actually going through the effort of mixing/mastering the live show. You can bleed a little bit of it into your mix for a more realistic audience sound. and for a bonus it is usually has just enough delay from the tracks to add a little more spacial feel.
Have Fun!
Bob

SL 32 series iii, NSB 8x8, 16x8, RM32AI, CS18AI, Studio One 4 Pro, SL 24.4.2 classic

6 posts
Page 1 of 1