Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am saving all of my drum patterns as separate audio tracks in Studio One but have a problem. The Roland R8 had eight line outs, which is nice. Several of my songs have more than 8 drum voices, so I am kinda stuck. I use an FP10 so I have 8 line ins on my audio interface (the problem is not enough outs on the Roland).

I tried recording 8 voices, then reconfiguring the R8's internal voices and then making a second pass into Studio One, but I can't get the second set of Studio One tracks to line up with the first set. I can drag them around a little but they appear to snap to an invisible grid which does not fall in line with my first set of drum voices. I was able to do this in Audiiton 3.0. Maybe there is some way to turn off the snap feature in Studio One but I couldn't find it.

Is there some way for Studio One to trigger a start event on my drum machine?

Studio One 5.1 on Windows 10 x64 (i7 processor, 16gb RAM)
FP10 FireWire
Kurzweil SP76 digital piano / MIDI controller
Akai MPD24 pad control
by darkchild on Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:28 pm
i too have an R-8 but I couln't get it to work with Studio One 3 can you tell me how you got yours to work and the answer to your question there is a snap button at the top menu around the quantize button look real close you'll see it

IMAC 27 3.4 GHZ ITEL 7 16 GIG UA APOLLOW TWIN DUO running STUDIO ONE PRO 3
by Adria S. on Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:42 pm
darkchild wrotei too have an R-8 but I couln't get it to work with Studio One 3 can you tell me how you got yours to work and the answer to your question there is a snap button at the top menu around the quantize button look real close you'll see it

What does the snap button do?

I need to figure how to write beats in Studio One, but I'm pretty anxious about not having a way to create patterns and string them together like our R8 has.

FP10 FireWire
Akai MPD24 pad control
by Steve Carter on Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:31 pm
Hi Adria....

Studio One will send/receive midi clock/timecode, which can be addressed in the 'setup page' - see manual and also video tutorials on YouTube etc. Although how well this is implemented in S1 has not been tested by me.

If you are recording the audio output from your drum machine, without using midi clock, make sure that you set S1's tempo to match the tempo of the drum machine and set the tracks to 'don't follow' initially. When recording your second run of tracks the tempo of the two sets should be the same and you should be able to match them fairly precisely provided you turn off the 'snap' setting, which is preventing you from synchronizing presently. Once you have your tracks recorded and synchronized you can bounce them with the tempo and 'timestretch' setting so that you can use them in your songs with tempo changes if required.

Not sure if your drum machine will output the midi info of the patterns being played. If it does then you may be better served recording the midi output onto an instrument track of S1 rather than the audio output, as the midi information will be more immediately versatile and adaptable than the audio (wave files).

One final thought, as a person who used drum machines for many years right from the original Dr. Rythm.... Have you looked into software drum programs like EZ Drummer for instance? You might find that this will obviate your requirement to transfer your drum machine patterns/sounds altogether. Virtual instruments like these have rendered my drum machines obsolete!

Regards.....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by Adria S. on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:28 am
The plan is to use virtual drums in the future. Now I have 20+ songs written with the R-8 and while I can record the MIDI notes - it would require setting up several dozen drum kits and finding similar voices, and I don't have time or energy to spend on the old material.

FP10 FireWire
Akai MPD24 pad control
by Steve Carter on Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:08 am
Hi Adria - understood, time and energy are my enemies too, especially the energy.
That said, you can get R8 samples from the internet (free if you want) and load them into Impact or similar for more versatility, there are many avenues open to you.

Given that you want to use your already sequenced patterns and sounds you will presumably proceed down the recording of the audio output of your R8 and therefore a method of synchronising your takes should suffice.
If you turn off the snap function you will be able to manipulate the recorded waveforms along the timeline to marry with your bar indicators. You will get a better visual resolution by doing this with one track in the 'Edit' view, just be sure to select the group of simultaneously recorded tracks so that they all move with the track in the edit pane. Assuming that you have recorded at the same tempo as the R8 output, the recorded wave tracks will remain in sync with the bar count for the duration of the song, if not you can make minor adjustments to compensate for any drift using the 'alt' key combination with the left mouse button (cursor changes to a sort of watch face) to drag the right hand end of the waveform whilst anchoring the left end (sort of - will depend on the start position of the wave form relative to the start of the event block so sometimes you may need to repeat minor repositioning of the waveform start with the stretch process).
When you are happy that your initial record group are behaving as required you can then make any necessary adjustments to align the remaining tracks.

With the 'snap' function activated when you drag a waveform along the timeline the start of the event will snap to a bar divisor dependent on the quantise value set.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project - number one rule 'have fun'.
Regards.....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by ricknewton1 on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:40 am
Cc 25 will start studio 1, thus allowing you to record audio from your drummachine (or any other midi instrument).
by Adria S. on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:48 am
ricknewton1 wroteCc 25 will start studio 1.

Can you explain this a teeny bit? Not sure what is meant by "Cc 25".

FP10 FireWire
Akai MPD24 pad control

8 posts
Page 1 of 1