Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
18 posts
Page 1 of 1
phpBB [video]

Please view my YouTube video and I'll show you in minutes how to hookup a foot switch to mute the built in effects for your Studiolive 1642, 2442, 3242 mixers without any modifications to the console. Just some simple routing and cables and you're all set! I should've posted this years ago ?

http://youtu.be/3eAKb3VzokU

All rights reserved REAL Productions llc 2015
Last edited by Robskeys on Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
by Robskeys on Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:32 am
Please note this will not work on the 1602, you need an open channel with an insert jack and a subgroup output.
by SwitchBack on Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:38 am
There are a few issues with this solution but still a nice trick :)
by Robskeys on Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:47 am
What are the issues other than losing a channel and a subgroup? Just curious...
by SwitchBack on Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:39 am
3 points of attention:

- The footswitch is 'post-effects' which means that on switching on you may catch the effects tail of what went into the processor before. On switching off you may cut the tail off the effect you're using.

- Since the footswitch is for when the mixer is not close at hand it stands to reason that you'll use a lengthy cable, which carries unbalanced audio from the mixer to the footswitch on stage and back. Signal quality/SNR may suffer. A small relay right on the insert may be needed to prevent that.

- The given solution only works for mono effects. For stereo it becomes somewhat resource hungry as you'll need a pair of channels and a pair of subs. And a 'stereo footswitch'.
by Robskeys on Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:06 am
I picture the majority of the people who asked about the footswitch application being a single, duo, or small band application where the mixer is on stage fairly close to the performer but obviously out of reach. I tested the foot pedal insert connection with a 50' cable and didn't have any issues with the unbalanced connection or any noise. I made sure everything worked prior to posting the video to make sure there weren't any issues. I hope this helps some people out who just wanted the effects off while they were talking in between songs or making announcements and then turned back on while singing. It's an easy fix to an issue thats been discussed on the forum multiple times with no one providing a solution. :reading:
by kengingras on Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:38 am
Wow !!!! This deff works great !! I could care less if it's post ,pre what matters is now I can mute effects with any length of cord I did try a 25 ' no noise or problems , my mixer is never more then 10' from me anyway , This is a great easy solution with no problems for most endusers , Thanks Rob for posting this Vid :reading:
by SwitchBack on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:14 am
I'll do you one better:

Set up your FX input mix in an Aux (set to post), feed that aux (balanced) into an open channel AND to a footswitch (switch between hot and cold), feed only that open channel into the FX processor (pre or post) and route the FX to main. That solves all possible issues:
- signals stay balanced
- switch is pre-FX
- works for stereo effects too
- works for a 16.0.2 too

Also works with a subgroup iso. an aux, only with less control over the balance between the inputs in the fx mix.

:reading:
Last edited by SwitchBack on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
by Karyn on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:24 am
SwitchBack wrote feed that aux (balanced) into an open channel AND to a footswitch (switch between hot and cold),

So you're "muting" the input by shorting hot/cold.. fair enough.

But, by so doing you're shorting the output driver of the Aux...

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by SwitchBack on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:27 am
Yes, it will be able to handle that.
by Robskeys on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:25 am
Confused, can you post a pic or video please?
by SwitchBack on Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:14 am
I can try a picture later but basically what you need is a trs splitter (trs male to 2x trs female) in the aux output, then a short trs patch cable from the splitter to the open channel and a trs cable from the splitter to the footswitch. The footswitch must be wired as to short tip and ring when on (as I think you already have) with the sleeve only for shielding. When tip and ring are shorted (footswitch on) the open channel's input is shorted, killing the input to the FX processor.

For those wondering: Even at full blast aux outputs should be short-circuit proof by design, and they certainly are at normal output levels. At +4dBu with hot and cold shorted the dissipation in the aux's termination resistors will be less than 8 milliWatts per resistor, far less than what even the tiniest smd resistors available can handle.
by mattnewcomb on Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:58 pm
I did it with a Morley A/B switch/pedal and 2 mono cables. I'm using the built-in delay on a vocal channel for ending repeats.

Set the effect only on the desired channel(s), route the effect signal to an Aux out.
Send the Aux signal to the "A" of the A/B pedal, and send the In/Out of the pedal into a spare mic channel for the return trip. Switch the pedal to "B" until the moment you need the delay to kick in, then switch to "A" to let the delayed signal pass through to the designated return channel.

Funny thing is, it works in one Project I have set up, but not another, even though all settings are identical except EQs. It's always on when it shouldn't be.

I'm also running Aux 1 into in-ear monitors, and the delay out of Aux 6, I can hear the delay all the time out of the Auxes, but not the Mains until I hit the switch.

But when it works, it works. Can't figure out why it sometimes doesn't, though. Might be best to just go with an external effect with a dedicated bypass or effect on/off footswitch.
by Penglo on Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:09 pm
Is this external foot switch muting possible on the 32sc mixer? It works on my SL24 classic but I can’t figure out how to do it on my 32sc.
by SwitchBack on Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:20 pm
Hi and welcome to this forum :)

Wow, old thread. Yes, still works. To do this with one FX processor you need:
- a spare input
- a spare aux output
- a TRSM to 2xTRSF (headphone) splitter, in the spare input
- a TRS patch cable, from the spare aux output to a splitter input
- a TRS cable, from the other splitter input to...
- a foot switch to short the TRS cable's tip to ring (to mute the FX).

The FX will only use the spare input for input as the spare Aux takes over as the FX processor's input mixer. You probably want to take the spare input out of the main mix, set the FX input to pre fader and the spare aux to post fader.

That's it really :)
by Penglo on Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:57 pm
Thanks for the quick response. Cheers
by fareedshaikh on Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:09 pm
Is it possible to do this with the Studio Live Rack Mount consoles (32R/24R)? I don't see any "Insert" on it. Thanks!
by SwitchBack on Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:51 pm
Hi and welcome to this forum :)

Funny how this thread keeps reviving. Yes the solution I offered (see 2 posts up and before) will work, the OP's solution not.

18 posts
Page 1 of 1