Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I currently use a Firestudio Project and HP60 to record my band. We're a basic rock/punk 4-piece band and my needs are pretty simple. I do all the engineering from the drum throne (that's me) so convenience and easy 1-2-3 go is what we're after. This set up has enough channels really, so extra tracks are a very minor consideration.

I am considering the StudioLive 16.0.2 because it appears to have a lot more features (in addition to 4 more channels), integrates with Qmix, which I would like to use for in-session monitoring, and is not that much more expensive (at $1000) than the HP60 and Firestudio Project (combined $700). I like that it has actual sliders and there is more "hands-on" adjustments that, when I'm setting levels, compression and then mixing, will be a lot easier. Since we do a lot of one-off recording (a song this month, another two songs next month) and I port the unit back and forth between our "studio" (our live room for rehearsals and recordings) and home, where I mix, I can see the value of recalling saved settings with a click.

I am also interested in going to Presonus Studio One for mixing, and using Capture to save my Macbook's processing power.

I could use some buying advice. My questions are:

1. Will the cue mixes from a StudioLive be loud enough (compared to the HP60 if I sell it)? Or will continue to need a headphone amp?
2. Can I use the HP60 with a StudioLive if indeed I need the extra volume to my cue mixes?
3. What other reasons are there for staying with my current set up?
4. It appears Capture only works with StudioLive mixers, but I assume since a Firestudio can be chained to a StudioLive it will see it as additional inputs, right? (I'm pretty sure the answer here is "yes" but a confirmation would be nice, thanks).

That is all I know to ask. If there is any unsolicited advice, I'm glad to hear that too.

Thank you!!!
by mwright137 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:30 pm
1. The one headphone out will be loud enough. The outer outputs are not made to drive headphones.

2. Yes, as long as you have enough separate outputs to make the separate mixes you want.

3. Your current setup could be expanded to 16 channels with another FireStudio Project. You wouldn't get QMix or the sliders but you's have more mic pres and keep your current headphone mixes.

4. I have never tried this so I don't know.

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by pfliegaphonic on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:32 pm
Thanks for the reply. One thing I'm not following is… the StudioLive says it has four Aux outs, which the tech specs describe as:

Type ¼” TRS Female, balanced (mono)
Rated Output Level +18 dBu
Output Impedance 100Ω

That would suggest to me that each one can be routed to headphones and cue mixes. But alas, this video seems to answer the question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_CiBWEsCns

3 posts
Page 1 of 1