Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
16 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi gang, thanks for your interest in my post.

I am an RM32 user with cover band.

I'd like to use the RM32 with capture, feed FOH clean un altered signal from the mics and feed the bands IEM's.

I have narrowed my options down to the ART Pro S8 3way :

http://artproaudio.com/splitters/product/s8-3way/

Trouble is to be fully outfitted I'd need 4! Any other ideas or options to share?

thanks in advance!

M

15" MacBook Pro mid 2012, El Capitan, 4gig DDR3 ram, 500 Gig plus External 3 TB HD.
Presonus RM32ai, current Firmware, Current UC, Current Capture
Logic Pro9
Kemper Profiler amp user here!! :)
by SwitchBack on Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:15 pm
You can always give FOH your RM's Main Out and an iPad ;)
by Djpauly on Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:51 pm
Unfortunately that's the only correct way to go... the 25 pin out's on the back of the RM are only for the 16 Aux sends..... you'll need 4 of the Art 3ways and at least 4 - 16 channel xlr-xlr snakes for hookups and a case... so your looking at well over $1000 for the ability to use your own IEM system and send a Clean FOH..... but let me tell you it's well worth the price to have the "Correct" monitor mix every time you play and be able to fix it on the fly with a Ipad during a show. In the past i've had plenty of shows that we played like crap because the monitor mix wasn't right... and i"ve had shows that it took them forever to get the monitors half right and we were late going on... and still had to function with a half bleep mix.... I swear it now takes us one song for for my guys to dial in 8 monitor mixes after pullin up our IEM preset. in the end it was the best $$$ i spent on our P.A.

RM32
Mac Min Server June 2013
Studio One 2 Professional
by Dale Christenson on Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:44 am
I got this:
http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/rac ... SS-32x1530
for my setup. I plug the short tail into my mixer, then I have the long tail for another mixer, or recorder. The only issue is that there are no transformers on this one. I have not found a need, yet. YMMV.

Sound 4-U! reinforcement and mobile recording serving Tulsa and surrounding areas.
Dale Christenson

StudioLive RM32ai
StudioLive RML32ai
CS18ai
MOTU AVB switch
ULT15 x6
ULT18 x2
SL AI328 speakers x4
StudioLive 16.4.2 classic
Windows 8.1 SSD computer with UC Surface, Capture2, and StudioOne2 Producer
by summitcn on Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:11 am
If you plan on using phantom power you want to make sure that you use a transformer-isolated split.

I would go with something like this: http://artproaudio.com/art_products/aud ... roduct/s8/
by Dale Christenson on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:53 am
As long as only one mixer uses phantom, there should be no trouble. So, between the two mix persons, they should be able to decide who provides the phantom power.

Sound 4-U! reinforcement and mobile recording serving Tulsa and surrounding areas.
Dale Christenson

StudioLive RM32ai
StudioLive RML32ai
CS18ai
MOTU AVB switch
ULT15 x6
ULT18 x2
SL AI328 speakers x4
by Dale Christenson on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:57 am
So then, it's a matter of $330 for the splitter compared to over $800 for the 4 Art devices.

Dale Christenson

StudioLive RM32ai
StudioLive RML32ai
CS18ai
MOTU AVB switch
ULT15 x6
ULT18 x2
SL AI328 speakers x4
by SwitchBack on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:22 pm
2 other possible issues with the simple splitter:
- Ground loops: Depending on how well everything is balanced noise levels may go up.
- Load impedance: All sources will be loaded with two inputs in parallel. PreSonus mic inputs have a fairly low impedance. When the FOH mixer inputs have a low impedance too then some sources may struggle.
by Dale Christenson on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:24 pm
Thanks, Switchback. That is true. So, what sources are more susceptible to that type of situation?

Dale Christenson

StudioLive RM32ai
StudioLive RML32ai
CS18ai
MOTU AVB switch
ULT15 x6
ULT18 x2
SL AI328 speakers x4
by SwitchBack on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:56 pm
Very much a matter of looking at the specs. E.g. two RMs in parallel results in a combined input impedance of 500 Ohms per input. You definitely don't want your sources to have a higher impedance that that and often microphone spec sheets also specify a minimum input impedance, e.g. >1500 Ohms...
by Dale Christenson on Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:10 pm
Good. Now. Let's ask what would happen if I plug a mic into two mixers on channel 1. Say, a kick mic. One mixer for FOH and one for monitors. Would the FOH mixer gain be more or less than if the mic was connected to only the one mixer?

Dale Christenson

StudioLive RM32ai
StudioLive RML32ai
CS18ai
MOTU AVB switch
ULT15 x6
ULT18 x2
SL AI328 speakers x4
by SwitchBack on Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:29 pm
The power (mWatts) from the mic will divide itself between the mic's internal impedance, cable impedances and input impedances. So per input less power will be available so more gain is needed for the same input level.

And connecting a mic (or other sources) to an input impedance lower than the specified minimum will also negatively affect frequency response.
by summitcn on Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:08 am
Dale Christenson wroteAs long as only one mixer uses phantom, there should be no trouble. So, between the two mix persons, they should be able to decide who provides the phantom power.

How would a mixer #2 respond to 48v being applied to its inputs from an outside source? In some cases this can damage the equipment. I'd rather not take that chance and go isolated.

I think that a Dante option might be available soon to resolve the overall problem anyway. :)
by TimmyP1955 on Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:23 am
There's 6800 Ohms between the phantom supply and each leg of the mic input. As such, two consoles that are fed by a hard-wire split (http://www.audiopile.net/PSX) will be just fine so far as phantom goes.

As has been mentioned, there could be ground loop issues. In such a case, pin one lifts on one of the consoles might solve the issue. (The console with the lifts will not be able to supply phantom.)

Most mic inputs are around 2k Ohms, so a mic can feed several channels with very little gain loss.
by matty6strings on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:36 am
Thank you everyone for the very, VERY useful info. I really appreciate you guys having taken time to post here. This is what makes this forum and its members THE BEST!

I got a pair of the ART S8 3way splitters on ebay for 300 total recently. Should fit the bill for me. If not I can always sell them and start over. I'm picking up another pair locally to make my 32 inputs.

Once I get it all together I'll post back with my findings.

Matty

15" MacBook Pro mid 2012, El Capitan, 4gig DDR3 ram, 500 Gig plus External 3 TB HD.
Logic Pro9
by matty6strings on Fri May 20, 2016 8:22 am
4th S8 3way unit enroute in the mail. I'm looking for decent cabling now. Sly Goose Cables is what I'll problably go with. (also in Canada)

So. I guess I'll put the 4 units into a shallow Gator 6 space rack. I'll have a spare power distribution unit in there as well as a rack shelf for odds and ends.

I have decided to go with 10' cable length vs the 5' I thought I'd go with. I'll post some pics once its all together.

Thanks again everyone. I hope this topic helps a few peeps in the future.

Logic Pro9

16 posts
Page 1 of 1