22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Does anyone know does this show up in S1 with sidechain inputs?

I read about sidechain in the manual but it seems internal to the plug.

Maybe.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Lokeyfly on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:10 pm
I'll check. I'm not near S1 right now, but will verify. I have the Waves SSL bundle

I've never side chained with it, yet. Only with other channel strips like Izotope Alloy2.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Jemusic on Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:42 am
I decided to jump on this too. Felt it was too good to be true. It is rather nice I must admit!

Looking at the manual I don't think you can externally side chain the E channel (or the G channel for that matter) You can insert the EQ into the side chain input therefore making the dynamics frequency dependent but not so from the outside.

On another note this plugin is aligned so 0 dB VU = -18 dB FS. So it is important to note what ref level you are working at in relation to this. I often work at K -14 for example. This is 4 dB hotter than what this plug in is expecting. But easily fixed. Trim the input control down on the bottom right to be -4. This drops the level down to -18 going into the plugin. Set the output level slider though for +4 to return levels leaving this plugin to -14 again.

If I decided to work at say -20 though, that is 2dB quieter than -18 so I would add 2 dB of gain going in and subtract 2 dB of gain coming out. This just ensures the plugin is always operating at the right and optimum level and also means the compressor will also be consistent with its threshold settings etc..

I like the fact the first light on the GR meter too is -3dB which is often what I like a compressor to just start doing. The EQ sounds nice and smooth at the high end too which is always a good sign.

I also think the new Fat Channel is also nice and have been using it too in some mixes I have been doing. Lots of nice options there too. But this SSL strip will certainly increase the options available.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Lokeyfly on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:19 am
You purchased the SSL? Way to go!

Thanks for responding because I can't get there yet. :(

Had some company dinner to attend.

Now I'm curious about what I can do with that now.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Tacman7 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:53 pm
I need another plugin like a hole in the head but I've had good luck with some of the other $29 plugins from Waves so thought I'd give it a try but something there I'm wondering about?

Available only for Waves v9.91

All my plugs say v9.2, it would work alongside those plugs or it would invalidate some of my plugs?

Some of my plugs say latest version but some have upgrade choices.

I remember something about this just not the details.

The plugs I own should work forever just like they are?

But I wouldn't be able to upgrade them without paying or something...?

Thanks

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by Tacman7 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:49 pm
ok, sorry found this:

as for the WUP it is NOT a factor (at least to me) unless you plan on selling or transferring the plugin and is only required to be up-to-date for transfer of license or to upgrade to the next full version which would be v10 (all incremental updates are free)

Still not too clear on how it works

Forum Moderator.

by skiltrip on Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:55 pm
I feel like I must be a crazy person based on all the praise, but I have been demoing this and it really doesn't do a thing for me. I have a bunch of compressors and EQs I love already. Not crazy about tiny interfaces with too much packed into it like this one. I much prefer the layout on the IK British Channel, but the compressor on that one is gain staged wrong, but that's another story. I don't own that either. For EQs I prefer API style, or Neve style, or just FabFilter Pro-Q 2 or PreSonus Pro EQ for meticulous sculpting.

5,1 Mac Pro 2.4GHz 8-Core 2011 16GB RAM | 2018 MacBook Air 13" | Studio One 3.5 | Presonus 24c | Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 | Mackie 802-VLZ3
by Lokeyfly on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:19 pm
Skiltrip wrote: I feel like I must be a crazy person based on all the praise, but I have been demoing this and it really doesn't do a thing for me. I have a bunch of compressors and EQs I love already. Not crazy about tiny interfaces with too much packed into it like this one. I much prefer the layout on the IK British Channel, but the compressor on that one is gain staged wrong, but that's another story. I don't own that either. For EQs I prefer API style, or Neve style, or just FabFilter Pro-Q 2 or PreSonus Pro EQ for meticulous sculpting.

You never need to feel crazy based on your feelings about such things, no matter how popular. Work with what you feel is best to obtain the desired results. The Waves G channel is a channel strip, so it's immediately different then what you mentioned. I love the API EQ's, and 2500 compressor as well. They do pack a bit too much color on some things, but essentially every piece of gear has its place.

Many of the vintage plugins (of true lineage) are based on more of a familiarity to its user and that gear, than something like a more surgical item like Fabfilter's Pro Q2, or even Presonus' Pro EQ (which I also use thoroughly). There's also a form of continuity when using such vintage items. The Schepps 73 is based on the studio renown Neve 1073. Or a slew of other examples I could give. They typically have less control, bands, bandwidth, and for better or worse, noise (which can be controlled). Someone is typically going to get more from the Pro EQ from S1, But others will use what works under that circumstance. My Waves Kramer HLS has the worst settings imaginable. But it sings with character, like when used with string instruments. Like most great sought after equipment, it was meticulously made to it's own attributes, and it's own faults. Sprinkle in a dash of personality. ;)

But if someone trials it along with an SSL G or E. They might typically scratch their head and say "I don't get it".

These things are not always for comparisons. They are either the right or wrong tool in the hands of a carpenter.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by mixus on Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:57 am
skiltrip wroteI feel like I must be a crazy person based on all the praise, but I have been demoing this and it really doesn't do a thing for me. I have a bunch of compressors and EQs I love already. Not crazy about tiny interfaces with too much packed into it like this one. I much prefer the layout on the IK British Channel, but the compressor on that one is gain staged wrong, but that's another story. I don't own that either. For EQs I prefer API style, or Neve style, or just FabFilter Pro-Q 2 or PreSonus Pro EQ for meticulous sculpting.

That was my impression too. I tried some of the factory presets on the given instrument and it was so off (at least on the tracks I tried them on) that if this were hardware, I would have wondered if the unit were broken. Almost kind of muffled, shrunk, or little change, etc. So with all the praise, I figured there was an extra step I missed in my quick run-through to be getting such lackluster results, since I never ever had such an opposite result from other plugs as I did with this one. So if there is a trick I would like to know it, because I've been around a whole lot of plugins, and don't get a result like this one gave me. I have other EQs that are terrific including what you mentioned.

Studio One 4; Mac Mini i7; 16 GB RAM, Mojave
by Lokeyfly on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:43 am
Mixus wrote: Almost kind of muffled, shrunk, or little change, etc.

Hi Mixus. That description is a bit all over the place, but I would just say, treat the controls of this plugin very subtle, and leave the compressor and expander fully off for starters. Just move the EQ band's (and only the few neccassary) to obtain the results needed. The low and high pass filtering are also very musical, but very strong and again, could best be either off until you need to increase them. The gain is also wonderful, but best left between minus 1/2 to + 1/2, of +/- 10! That's all.. I typically align it to The same SPL as what is on the S1 channel (metering) it is on. Zero on the gain knob is fairly close. Sort of.

Take factory settings with a grain of salt. They only point to settings that are typically SO far and away from what is specific to another's task. They may point only to where the well could be. That's it.

The device in the industry is proven. Even licensed by SSL. The compressor section is a bit hard sounding, and should only be treated to minor duties. The limiter will get ugly if pushed too hard. The best comparisons will come from duplicating EQ curves from something you're using now. Make sure ALL EQ settings are where they should be first. LFO cutoff, shelving, etc. Then, very small changes of what this channel strip offers will reveal a lot. Remember to turn off your EQ/channel strip you are comparing it to.

One of my initial critiques of such devices is they are not as visibly elegant as a graphically oriented EQ. But, settings do become familiar when they are heavily used as in used on many channels.

They are simply different beasts.

Good luck with whatever you're using.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by mixus on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:47 am
Thanks for your help and information. I have read some other posts saying this plugin has been a disappointment but one never knows about those posters and their situation—nor that of the praisers for that matter—but since this has been one of the few licensed by SSL and used in the industry, I had to wonder about what what I was doing wrong or missing here and why I felt a bit let down. I've been using DAWs and plugins since 1991 so it really had me scratching my head, I think because my expectation was based on my more straight-forward results with similar type EQs / channel strips. I did try sculpting from scratch and got more reasonable outcomes. Yeah, I know my description was a bit diverse ;) but my initial results did throw me off a bit as compared to what I've been accustomed to getting. I will try your suggestions, thank you.

by Lokeyfly on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:48 am
Cool. Tell us how you made out.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Lokeyfly on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:49 am
Duplicate. Sorry. :)

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Tacman7 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:11 pm
I bought it and installed it and just played around a little. Seems cool, I get a better sense of what it's doing turning some knobs and seeing the difference. Lot you can do.
Lot you have to learn! Least for me, lot of control there to understand all the routing options etc.
But it shows up on the usage meter as a 0.

So you could use a lot of them.
Have to try some experiments using one on every track.

Just imaging a board with this on every track.

Forum Moderator.

by Lokeyfly on Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:21 am
 Tacman7 wrote: I get a better sense of what it's doing turning some knobs and seeing the difference

Absolutely. My earlier point was for comparisons only. Most of the time, you won't need to compare. The comparing concept was to help Mixus if he was experiencing the harsh findings from presets. Just work from nominal settings, as you mentioned.

Hopefully Waves put on a full SSL bundle sale, where all of their SSL plugs are available. The E series is very nice, and especially their Master Compressor is top notch.

Also, the Waves VSM gets a huge nod from this camp.

Cheers.

Mixus wrote: I have read some other posts saying this plugin has been a disappointment but one never knows about those posters and their situation—nor that of the praisers for that matter

Truer words, never spoken, my friend. You often have to read between the lines, if and where possible. Or reply to find out more, but who has time for that? :)

Be well.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Jemusic on Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:44 pm
I am finding this E channel plugin very nice indeed. Although I have multiple EQ's myself this one does have a rather refined sound to it especially in the high end. It boosts without drama and harshness something some EQ's cannot do quite so well.

Presets are not good at all for a few reasons. I never use them. One is that they know nothing about the material that is passing through them. So how can they can make certain assessments and do what they do. You are the best judge of the material that is passing through them so therefore it is much wiser to use your ears and make the alterations accordingly. Especially with any dynamics processors that might be used. The presets will have no idea about the transients of the material either and could easily be jumping all over the sound and killing it.

The filters at either end of the spectrum are also rather excellent too. Quick and simple to use.

As mentioned in my previous post it is also important to know what ref level you are working at and adjust input and output gains in order to get the ideal level going through the plugin. This will help the compressor especially working at the right levels ensuring the threshold settings are correct too. For example if the rms level going into this plugin is way too high you will have a hard time getting the compressor to do light conditioning duties.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Lokeyfly on Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:18 pm
I think you're going to have a lot of fun, and use out of it Jeff.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by mixus on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:48 am
I had another go with this, thanks to your help. I really wanted to make this work since I bought it when it was supposed to be the one day sale. Now the results are more in line with what I expected the first time out, very nice. Thanks again!

by jBranam on Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:25 pm
yeah i rarely use presets... nine times out of ten they are crap and are only based one whatever material the 'so-called' artist was using at the time. about the only presets you can trust is like ones for reverb or delay... all the rest should imo be thrown out the window. :) cheers

jay

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by Mac Money on Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:38 pm
I've been using the Waves SSL G Channel and the SSL E Channel for a few years now and they are my go to Channel strips. They are very light on your native CPU and have 0.0 Latency. Most of the time I start off with a preset and modify to fit my taste. A good video to watch is Groove3 Waves SSL Bundle Explained.
https://www.groove3.com/waves-training- ... -Explained

BTW Waves is having an 80% off Summer Sale!

Hope this helps

George Ware
StudioOne v5.5.2 Pro 64bit
Waves SoundGrid Studio 2
Waves DigiGrid IOS
Waves DigiGrid IOX
Waves SoundGrid Server One
PreSonus CS18ai & BCR2000 Control Surface
Intel 6 Core i7 3.2Ghz.
Windows 10 Professional 64bit. v20H2
Arturia KeyLab-88 Essential
URS, Waves v14 (Everything), EMI, Sonnox Oxford (Everything), Antares Unlimited, Plugin Alliance (Everything), Nomad Factory, TL Labs, Massey, Komplete Ultimate 13 CE, Arturia VC9 (Everything), Korg Collection, UVI Falcon v2.5, Melodyne Studio 5.2, VocAlign, Eventide (Everything), Softube and IKM Total Studio Max.
As of 20 Jun 22

22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2