55 postsPage 3 of 3
1, 2, 3
Skaperverket wroteI've read some posts in various forums where people are _really_ upset that their RME PCIe cards are performing worse latency-wise in S1 3.5 than in 3.3.4.
With 3.3.4 monitoring latency also was huge. Actually with 3.5 and LLM it became slightly better then 3.3.4 (except < 32 samples because of the minimal 64 samples process block size). However without LLM 3.5 is very underwhelming. So for those not wanting all the disadvantages of LLM, there's no alternative other than using 3.3.4 (or another host).

Here's a quick instrument monitoring test between 3.5 and Cubase 9 at 44.1kHz, (Mon = without LLM and LLM is with LLM).

Studio One 3.5
ASIO | Mon | LLM

32 | 8 ms | 9 ms
64 | 9 ms | 5 ms
128 | 15 ms | 7 ms
256 | 27 ms | 9 ms
512 | 50 ms | 15 ms
1024 | 96 ms | 27 ms

Cubase 9
ASIO | Mon

32 | 3 ms
64 | 4 ms
128 | 6 ms
256 | 10 ms
512 | 21 ms
1024 | 37 ms

Skaperverket wroteI recently bought an RME RayDAT PCIe card for my upcoming transition from laptop to desktop, based upon info that RME's PCIe cards give the best latency performance and highest system efficiency/plugin count at a given buffer. It would be such a bummer if, going forward, the best interfaces that are tried and tested industry standards will have their performance degraded by this new audio engine. I appreciate it if the audio engine helps those with mediocre audio interface drivers, but I hope an equally adequate solution can be provided for those who have chosen RME PCIe cards and done so specifically for their stable and excellently performing drivers.
Sorry to say, but if you bought your RME to achieve low latency, Studio One simply isn't the best choice. Unless you only want a slightly better performance to someone using Studio One with a USB or Firewire device. ;)

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by Skaperverket on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:01 pm
Thanks so much for these numbers, niles (legend). Really appreciate it. A very interesting read.

Those Cubase numbers are impressive. Gotta love those RME drivers.

Did you happen to do any tests at 96 kHz? Specifically ASIO 32 with LLM at 96 kHz and ASIO 64 without LLM at 96 kHz. Those would be interesting, for reference.
by jpettit on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:22 pm
Back on topic please.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by Skaperverket on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:46 pm
jpettit wroteBack on topic please.

We're not? (Honest question.)
by Jemusic on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:50 pm
For some reason people are not factoring in my instrument monitoring results. At 32 samples I can get 4.5 mS latency (RME) and at 16 samples 2.9 mS. But this is with the thunderbolt Focusrite interface on a Mac though.

I have discovered that an RME Fireface 800 interface shows up the 16 sample buffer setting. I will do some tests on that to see.

I get these results with LLM not engaged though. LLM for me makes things worse than these figures. For best results I have to set DP for minimum and setting the buffer the usual way. So for me 3.5 is no worse than before and in fact with the 16 sample buffer setting now it is actually better. 2.95 mS is damn fast for instrument performance.

These figures for me are all at 44.1K sampling rate as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by jpettit on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:17 pm
Skaperverket wrote
jpettit wroteBack on topic please.

We're not? (Honest question.)

The topic is DP and NLLM new in 3.5.
Benchmarking particular vendors ASIO performance should be another thread.
Thanks

SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by Skaperverket on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:23 pm
Jemusic, those numbers are quite impressive as well. And they differ quite a lot from niles' findings, even though his computer's specs are supposed to be markedly better. Looking forward to seeing your FF800 numbers as well. Thanks.

I understand, jpettit. You guys are the bosses. I hope everyone is happy with the new engine in the end. A lot of this is promising and I like that these things are being addressed.

If you create a thread for latency numbers, niles (or Jemusic), I would follow it with great interest. Thank you.
by SWey on Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:02 am
Why is this only outputting to mono audio tracks when in Low latency mode?

viewtopic.php?f=213&t=25869

i7 2.7 MacMini, OS-X 10.10.5, RME Fireface, NI Kore 2, Virus Ti, Live 9 Suite, Studio One 3, Reaper 5, Tracktion 5
by mikemanthei on Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:50 pm
mikemanthei wroteI'm getting noises when using fader automation on the master fader... The noise is essentially the audio at 0 db. (no attenuation) for a very short amount of time. The shortness of the error makes it sound a bit like a "pop".

Update:
This issue seems to be more prevalent with songs that were created with 3.4. So maybe it's a conversion issue?

I was able to replicate this under many different scenarios. Even after trimming all 3rd party plugins out of the song, and removing many Presonus plugins as well, the issue persisted. And I've only heard it on songs that started in S1 3.4. and converted to 3.5.

After discussing this with Presonus Technical Support and sending them a stripped down song as an example, they were able to reproduce in their lab... so hopefully a fix will make it into the next release.

If you haven't seen the issue, good for you. But be cautious of your mixes until this is resolved. the "random" noises survive both playback and the mixdown stereo master...and the noise isn't always in the same place in the mixdown file as it was in the playback.....so you might inadvertently have noises in your masters. The noise can be masked by loud mixes, and I only discovered the problem because it stood out on a long fade-out. But it can exist in louder sections of the audio as well.

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by jpettit on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:50 am
mikemanthei wrote
mikemanthei wroteI'm getting noises when using fader automation on the master fader... The noise is essentially the audio at 0 db. (no attenuation) for a very short amount of time. The shortness of the error makes it sound a bit like a "pop".

Update:
This issue seems to be more prevalent with songs that were created with 3.4. So maybe it's a conversion issue?

I was able to replicate this under many different scenarios. Even after trimming all 3rd party plugins out of the song, and removing many Presonus plugins as well, the issue persisted. And I've only heard it on songs that started in S1 3.4. and converted to 3.5.

After discussing this with Presonus Technical Support and sending them a stripped down song as an example, they were able to reproduce in their lab... so hopefully a fix will make it into the next release.

If you haven't seen the issue, good for you. But be cautious of your mixes until this is resolved. the "random" noises survive both playback and the mixdown stereo master...and the noise isn't always in the same place in the mixdown file as it was in the playback.....so you might inadvertently have noises in your masters. The noise can be masked by loud mixes, and I only discovered the problem because it stood out on a long fade-out. But it can exist in louder sections of the audio as well.

This has been addressed.

by niles on Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:16 am
Skaperverket wroteThose Cubase numbers are impressive. Gotta love those RME drivers.
3.5.1 finally brings us true low latency too. :punk:
As you know...
jpettit wroteBenchmarking particular vendors ASIO performance should be another thread.
...so I'll post a comparison somewhere else.

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by jpettit on Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:19 am
Sorry Niles this thread got morphef around a bit so posted here is fine or elsewhere if you want.

by niles on Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:30 pm
jpettit wroteSorry Niles this thread got morphef around a bit so posted here is fine or elsewhere if you want.
Let's finish it here then for completeness sake ;)

Studio One 3.5.1
ASIO | Mon | LLM

32 | 4 ms | 5 ms
64 | 4 ms | 2 ms
128 | 6 ms | 4 ms
256 | 15 ms | 10 ms
512 | 27 ms | 15 ms
1024 | 50 ms | 27 ms

The coolest part (you can't see that from these figures) is: The higher the latency is, the more consistent it becomes. That's not something ASIO technology itself does. Normally high ASIO latency (large buffers) will cause bigger fluctuations in timing because the large slow buffers aren't always on the right spot when they need to process real time data. Try to run a host like Cubase at 1024 samples and you'll notice the real time generated sound is far from consistent.

The PreSonus developers however seem to have found a way to create some sort of small safety buffer that increases when the ASIO buffer size increases above 256 samples. So with small ASIO buffers the safety buffer is marginal and thus the audio has a slight deviations due to the ASIO buffer cycles. But because the latency is very small and the buffers are quick the deviations are negligible (0.8 to 2 ms). But what is interesting is that the deviations above an ASIO buffer size of 256 samples becomes only a few samples. This is nullifying the jitter caused by the ASIO buffer cycles in real time. Which pretty cool because that's where deviations can really become in your way since the larger buffers are slower.

Nice one 8-)

by Skaperverket on Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:03 pm
This is wonderful, wonderful news. Thank you, niles. And thank you, Presonus.
by Jemusic on Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:41 pm
Hey Niles I will run the minimum instrument latency test again now and see if things have got better. Remember I got this test down to 2.95 mS which was pretty good anyway (at 16 samples)

Be interesting to see if this is any lower again.

I have also got this FF800 on loan here with me too and the 16 samples setting shows up on that too on my iMac over the firewire 800 port.

Also they may have got these settings working better in LL mode too rather than not in LL mode not sure yet.

This update looks great too. Seems they have fixed quite a lot of things too.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro

55 postsPage 3 of 3
1, 2, 3