7 posts
Page 1 of 1
I never, ever thought about it. Just always had it set to the default of 512 for the buffer size. Didn't know much about it and didn't care to think twice if it made a difference. This is how it's been for years and years.

I'd play in my virtual instruments, tighten em up with quantize. Tracked vocals with bunch of plug-ins on and just assumed huge echos behind the voice were normal for tracking.

Never thought I was doing anything wrong, until I tuned into the live stream this morning. I actually kinda ignored the latency part at first just because I was so excited about mixer undo. Tonight I came back and watched again and this time paid more attention. Really wanted to understand what all the fuss was about. I also watched some more videos and read some articles about latency.

I then downloaded 3.5. Changed my buffer to 32 and put the drop out protection on to medium. My latency dropped from 40ms to 7ms audio / 12ms instruments.

I started playing all my VSTis and OH MY GOD. The difference = night + day. I can't even explain how much more feeling and responsiveness playing has. Not just a little bit. Not just a lot. Night and f'ing day.

I was a little confused at first because this setting that I didn't really even pay attention to at all..I had absolutely no clue it could make such a difference.

So next trial I fired up my vocal chain. I sang the same thing against some music with my old settings (512 buffer) and then changed the settings and put on the Z latency/drop out protection with a 32 device buffer.

Once again I was completely shocked and how different it felt. It actually changed the way I sing...my timing is completely different with the low latency. I listened back to the two versions and sure enough my timing is so much tighter and in the pocket and not just by a little bit.... you can see huge changes on where the vocal wave form lines up.

I'm pretty mind blown. I've been playing a real instrument (guitar) for nearly 15 years. I feel like I'm a pretty decent musician, but there has always been something off with the computer/DAW that lacked some feeling for me. I never could put my finger on it. I just thought that's how things were and that's where I was musically. I really, honestly feel that latency was a big factor in this.

For me this is an absolute game changer and probably the biggest/best thing to happen me.

PRESONUS THANK YOU SO MUCH....... THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER!
Last edited by koshal on Wed May 24, 2017 8:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
by timmorris on Wed May 24, 2017 12:30 am
Well.....errrrr....my mind is also blown.......I can't believe how you have managed for this long living with latency !

Presonus 16.4.2 - Mac mini 2.3G i7, 16G Ram, Faderport - S1 -3 Pro
Novation Impulse 49 - Yamaha HS7 - Kemper Profiler -
SE 3300 - SE2200 - SE Reflexion - EBMM AAxis super sport - Taylor 414CE - PRS 513.
by Lokeyfly on Wed May 24, 2017 5:57 am
Well, 40 milliseconds was not anything you should have dealt with even in earlier Studio One versions, if you followed certain guidelines, plus your interface has a lot to do with it, sampled rate, etc. You needn't think the solution is all wrapped up in version 3.5.
It is beneficial now with 3.5 with less internal effects latency, and the important part is you've whittled down substantially, that unnacceptable 40 ms to a favorable 7 ms. (Yay!) :D

So enjoy making music, and avoid at all costs, the theologians trying to decipher the latest in latency timing.

Treat it like entertainment (like a good Monty Pythons, or Benny Hill skit). Avoid the psycho babble, when the idea is to make music.

Enjoy!

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by koshal on Wed May 24, 2017 8:26 am
Lokeyfly wroteWell, 40 milliseconds was not anything you should have dealt with even in earlier Studio One versions, if you followed certain guidelines, plus your interface has a lot to do with it, sampled rate, etc. You needn't think the solution is all wrapped up in version 3.5.
It is beneficial now with 3.5 with less internal effects latency, and the important part is you've whittled down substantially, that unnacceptable 40 ms to a favorable 7 ms. (Yay!) :D

So enjoy making music, and avoid at all costs, the theologians trying to decipher the latest in latency timing.

Treat it like entertainment (like a good Monty Pythons, or Benny Hill skit). Avoid the psycho babble, when the idea is to make music.

Enjoy!

Totally agreed. Yeah it was a complete oversight / lack of understanding on my part. I realize looking back I definitely should have optimized my settings (buffer, sample rate etc) prior to 3.5. I still work in other software like Reason and/or Maschine to compose from time to time and will have to start managing latency it in those programs now too.

I think the reason the update was so important for me is because it kinda smacked me in the face and brought the issue to to my attention. Not only that it gave me an amazing solution to deal with it and pretty much work the same way I did before. Oh yea and mixer undo :)
by scottmoncrieff on Wed May 24, 2017 8:40 am
In years past before I got my external audio interface solutions I use today, I used a Soundblaster 1024 Live PCI card with my AMD Athlon 750 and with my AMD 64 3500 computer I used a 5.1 surround sound audio interface and later a versatile Audio Advantage Roadie 5.1 USB interface which is great for laptops given it's size and dual stereo mics.

The midi/audio utility driver I used was ASIO4ALL, 11ms was the lowest I could achieve and for me it was fine for realtime recording whilst I used Reason. Anything less than that was where the delay curve would start creeping up and I'd start to notice. For playback of a busy track it would usually creep up to 17/18 ms... A slight delay but nothing I couldn't fix with some quantising and manual tinkering. My workflow was more programming based from device's like Redrum / Dr Rex / midi programming vie arp functions on my synthesizer. The complexity of the music I create today is 4 to 6 times that of what I created in Reason when it comes to track size.. I've no idea how you've had the patience to work at 40ms for this length of time, as that for me would be a bit of a nightmare. I'd be as well going back to using trackers on my Amiga 1200 :D ...I'm happy you've found the holly grail eventually in this music making lark.

THE INTRANCER- Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist |- Full Orchestral -Trance - Ambient - Film Scores 27 on S-Cloud 7000+genuine plays | 16 on S-Click | Studio One 3 Concept Re-Designs - Sample One XT | Reason X | S-O-3 Pro | Reaktor 6.0 | Reason 7 | C4D | CS6 |Win 7 64 Bit-Intel I7 [email protected],Focusrite Pro 14, ATH M50's, Casio XW P1&G1 Producer 20+ years - FOH - UK Stadium / Festivals) >>Studio One 3D GUI's<<
by Lokeyfly on Fri May 26, 2017 5:10 am
koshal wrote: Totally agreed. Yeah it was a complete oversight / lack of understanding on my part. I realize looking back I definitely should have optimized my settings (buffer, sample rate etc) prior to 3.5

It's very refreshing to hear an admission of something one missed, and has benefitted by listening, and finding a better way. I would extend a personal handshake.

There are a good number of DAW users (any DAW), who confront latency, or CPU challenges, and would rather lash out at the manufacturer, developers, or other users trying to assist. The level of maturity quickly becomes apparent with comments like "man up", "fanboy", and "no longer the nineties", referring to the program should just work now.

This industry or hobby however one is positioned, as in many other industries, or artistic endeavors, benefits those who are willing to listen, and not just do the telling. There will always be bumps in the road but the winners find solutions. Period. Technical difficulties never stopped some of the best music makers of old, or new school, along with creative designers who will inevitably find a better way to complete their vision.

I thought it appropriate to commend you, koshal for your honesty and humble approach to what you missed, not by anything other than you just didn't know or adjust for latency, static, etc. When such control was already there by adjusting buffers, or optimizing.

Feel free to ask anytime for help because it's people like you that other folks here don't mind lending support, or a helpful hint. You make this forum a better place.

Presonus has and does listen and it shows. Now it's time to get back to creating. :thumbup:

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by koshal on Fri May 26, 2017 6:47 pm
Lokeyfly wrote
koshal wrote: Totally agreed. Yeah it was a complete oversight / lack of understanding on my part. I realize looking back I definitely should have optimized my settings (buffer, sample rate etc) prior to 3.5

It's very refreshing to hear an admission of something one missed, and has benefitted by listening, and finding a better way. I would extend a personal handshake.

There are a good number of DAW users (any DAW), who confront latency, or CPU challenges, and would rather lash out at the manufacturer, developers, or other users trying to assist. The level of maturity quickly becomes apparent with comments like "man up", "fanboy", and "no longer the nineties", referring to the program should just work now.

This industry or hobby however one is positioned, as in many other industries, or artistic endeavors, benefits those who are willing to listen, and not just do the telling. There will always be bumps in the road but the winners find solutions. Period. Technical difficulties never stopped some of the best music makers of old, or new school, along with creative designers who will inevitably find a better way to complete their vision.

I thought it appropriate to commend you, koshal for your honesty and humble approach to what you missed, not by anything other than you just didn't know or adjust for latency, static, etc. When such control was already there by adjusting buffers, or optimizing.

Feel free to ask anytime for help because it's people like you that other folks here don't mind lending support, or a helpful hint. You make this forum a better place.

Presonus has and does listen and it shows. Now it's time to get back to creating. :thumbup:

Thanks man much appreciated! Yeah definitely I just try to stay humble and keep learning from people like yourself and try get better.

I appreciate all advice and the words of wisdom!! I like that you reiterate that making music is the most important thing...I definitely agree and have been trying to do a better of job focusing on that.

I think maybe many people lose sight of what attracted them to all this in first place (the music) and get caught up in the black hole.

7 posts
Page 1 of 1