67 postsPage 3 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4
I am confident Niles is doing a good job. I would be keen to know the exact methodology for measuring something like this.

There may be variables such as the fact Focusrite provide the driver for their interfaces and it seems pretty damn good. RME are also meant to have excellent latency figures. Their drivers also seem pretty excellent too. I have done some studio recordings where a PA was present a few times with an RME interface (over Firewire 800) and monitored through software and it seemed to be excellent. No one complained. I never told anyone how I was doing it. People were monitoring hardware instruments such as keyboards and guitar in this situation and they never felt it either. I was using a 32 samples setting.

As for playing a virtual instrument there is the technical and the musical. If you cannot feel it then it is not a problem. That is my point. All measuring aside.

Playing something like Octopads with drum sticks and triggering very fast percussion sounds is another test. This one might even be tougher to pass compared to a keyboard keys escapement. Fast latin grooves will certainly tell you what is going on. I have even found that situation to be pretty acceptable as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by niles on Sun May 21, 2017 2:07 pm
Jemusic wroteI can do some tests. Can you tell us what your setup was or how you recorded these figures. For example recording the output from your sound card back into the program would include the input latency of the system. Compared to just hearing it.
I did the following to test:
At each host I've set up 2 MIDI tracks and 1 audio track. One MIDI track is playing a trigger at each beat (120 bpm) for 8 beats. The output of that track goes to the input of an Instrument track containing a sample player (Battery, Halion, Kontakt, GA etc.) playing a click sound on each trigger (panned right). The audio track contains the same click sound (panned left) at each beat and is just there for reference.

Now when I record 8 beats in the host and simultaneously record the audio output on an alternate device or with an alternate piece of software I can measure the difference between the sound in the left channel (reference) and the right channel (monitored instrument sound) and finally deduct the amount of latency introduced by the MIDI triggers that are recorded on the track containing the VST Instrument. I know how much time it took in real time between the moment the MIDI trigger was received and the sound was generated.

So let's say the difference between the reference click and the real time sound is +470 samples and the MIDI trigger was received at +46 samples, the time between the real time generated sound and MIDI trigger is 424 samples (470-64). Which boils down to 9,6 ms at 44.1kHz.

A less accurate but simpler test is loading two different hosts at the same time (if you ASIO device supports multi-client mixing) with the same VST Instrument simultaneously playing the same mono sound. Pan one host left and one host right. Trigger the both Instruments with an external device or by sending MIDI data from one of the hosts or another host to both hosts. If the sound becomes stereo, you know there's a deviation. Downside of this test is, you don't know if the deviation is within the MIDI treatment, audio treatment or both.

Try it, you'll be amazed how differently hosts handle MIDI and VST Instruments.

Below is a video showing Studio One is responding slower than Cubase under the exact same circumstances.

phpBB [video]

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by Jemusic on Sun May 21, 2017 6:07 pm
I am confused. What is creating the reference track. You have not explained it that well. What is creating the track that would not be experiencing any latency. The metronome?

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Skaperverket on Mon May 22, 2017 2:49 am
niles wrote
Jemusic wroteI can do some tests. Can you tell us what your setup was or how you recorded these figures. For example recording the output from your sound card back into the program would include the input latency of the system. Compared to just hearing it.
I did the following to test:
At each host I've set up 2 MIDI tracks and 1 audio track. One MIDI track is playing a trigger at each beat (120 bpm) for 8 beats. The output of that track goes to the input of an Instrument track containing a sample player (Battery, Halion, Kontakt, GA etc.) playing a click sound on each trigger (panned right). The audio track contains the same click sound (panned left) at each beat and is just there for reference.

Now when I record 8 beats in the host and simultaneously record the audio output on an alternate device or with an alternate piece of software I can measure the difference between the sound in the left channel (reference) and the right channel (monitored instrument sound) and finally deduct the amount of latency introduced by the MIDI triggers that are recorded on the track containing the VST Instrument. I know how much time it took in real time between the moment the MIDI trigger was received and the sound was generated.

So let's say the difference between the reference click and the real time sound is +470 samples and the MIDI trigger was received at +46 samples, the time between the real time generated sound and MIDI trigger is 424 samples (470-64). Which boils down to 9,6 ms at 44.1kHz.

A less accurate but simpler test is loading two different hosts at the same time (if you ASIO device supports multi-client mixing) with the same VST Instrument simultaneously playing the same mono sound. Pan one host left and one host right. Trigger the both Instruments with an external device or by sending MIDI data from one of the hosts or another host to both hosts. If the sound becomes stereo, you know there's a deviation. Downside of this test is, you don't know if the deviation is within the MIDI treatment, audio treatment or both.

Try it, you'll be amazed how differently hosts handle MIDI and VST Instruments.

Below is a video showing Studio One is responding slower than Cubase under the exact same circumstances.

phpBB [video]

Wow, this is very interesting. Thanks for testing this, niles. The jitter (variation in latency) makes it extra disturbing.

I don't know much about MIDI drivers and how they distribute signals, but do you think this variation could be caused by the MIDI driver or does it have to be inside the DAWs? Some people say you can't sense jitter like this, but sure you can. And if you layer f.i. two drums, you'll clearly hear it phase throughout the song.

Either way, jitter or not, S1 is apparently slower to respond than Cubase using the very same settings and hardware. I really hope the next update repairs this.
by niles on Mon May 22, 2017 3:32 am
Jemusic wroteI am confused. What is creating the reference track. You have not explained it that well. What is creating the track that would not be experiencing any latency. The metronome?
You can use a bounce of the VST you are testing with. Only make sure the VST is as simple as possible and just playing the same sample. Obviously you have to use the same files and VST's in all hosts you are testing.

Alternatively I attached a click reference file, it's at 44.1kHz and has 8 click triggers at each 22050 samples (120 BPM). I also attached a single shot to load up in a sample player that is triggered each 22050 samples. The one shot starts exactly the same as each click in the reference and also is 44.1kHz.

https://daw.one/shared/files/Monitoring ... _Files.zip

Skaperverket wroteEither way, jitter or not, S1 is apparently slower to respond than Cubase using the very same settings and hardware. I really hope the next update repairs this.
Exactly, Studio One is responding slower than the rest! That's my point, nothing more nothing less.

Cubase has a lot of MIDI jitter and ASIO jitter, Studio One practically has none.

When you look at the image above you can see how consistent Studio One's MIDI and Audio (and their relation) are (same goes for Reaper) and how Cubase's traditional MIDI tech is jittering but also the ASIO is jittering. I suspect Studio One's own high resolution MIDI equivalent is less subject to jitter than the old MIDI protocol.

However the ASIO part at low latency is the one I'm aiming at. I suspect (speculation) Studio One is using an extra buffer to prevent the ASIO (and maybe also the MIDI) from jittering. ASIO jitter can be noticed at high latency e.g. 1024 samples. The timing of the VST instrument's sound a little irregular then because. At low buffer sizes an extra buffer cycle would be noticeable though, especially when it almost doubles the latency.

What you see in the image are the different hosts. When you look closely you'll see each host responds entirely differently.
Here are the average figures per host, the milliseconds mentioned are the milliseconds between the NoteOn message and the monitored sound. The test was done with an ASIO buffer size of 128 and a sample rate of 44.1kHz

MIDI trigger receive (MIDI In) --> Bitwig + VSTi --> Sound (RT VSTi Audio) = 4.7 ms (average)
MIDI trigger receive (MIDI In) --> Cubase + VSTi --> Sound (RT VSTi Audio) = 5.5 ms (average)
MIDI trigger receive (MIDI In) --> Digital Performer + VSTi --> Sound (RT VSTi Audio) = 6.5 ms (average)
MIDI trigger receive (MIDI In) --> Reaper + VSTi --> Sound (RT VSTi Audio) = 7.6 ms (average)
MIDI trigger receive (MIDI In) --> Studio One + VSTi --> Sound (RT VSTi Audio) = 9.7 ms (average)

Edit: Missing test settings
Last edited by niles on Mon May 22, 2017 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by jpettit on Mon May 22, 2017 4:30 am
scottmoncrieff wroteInteresting read...gives some real world example's of what kind of time measurements these figures represent. Blinking for example probably has the same reaction to response time of playing a key on a keyboard ( at the fastest rate ).

1 millisecond (1 ms) – cycle time for frequency 1 kHz; duration of light for typical photo flash strobe; time taken for sound wave to travel ca. 34 cm; repetition interval of GPS C/A PN code

Why not make it clear in musical terms?
1 ms ~1 foot in distance.
So your ear 1 foot away from a marshal amp.

3 ms an arm's-length away from the piano strings on a grand piano.

10 ms The distance between the lead singer and the guitarist.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by Skaperverket on Mon May 22, 2017 10:53 am
niles wrote
Skaperverket wroteEither way, jitter or not, S1 is apparently slower to respond than Cubase using the very same settings and hardware. I really hope the next update repairs this.
Exactly, Studio One is responding slower than the rest! That's my point, nothing more nothing less.

Cubase has a lot of MIDI jitter and ASIO jitter, Studio One practically has none.

When you look at the image above you can see how consistent Studio One's MIDI and Audio (and their relation) are (same goes for Reaper) and how Cubase's traditional MIDI tech is jittering but also the ASIO is jittering. I suspect Studio One's own high resolution MIDI equivalent is less subject to jitter than the old MIDI protocol.

However the ASIO part at low latency is the one I'm aiming at. I suspect (speculation) Studio One is using an extra buffer to prevent the ASIO (and maybe also the MIDI) from jittering. ASIO jitter can be noticed at high latency e.g. 1024 samples. The timing of the VST instrument's sound a little irregular then because. At low buffer sizes an extra buffer cycle would be noticeable though, especially when it almost doubles the latency.

What you see in the image are the different hosts. When you look closely you'll see each host responds entirely differently.
Here are the average figures per host, the milliseconds mentioned are the milliseconds between the NoteOn message and the monitored sound. The test was done with an ASIO buffer size of 128 and a sample rate of 44.1kHz

MIDI trigger receive (MIDI In) --> Bitwig + VSTi --> Sound (RT VSTi Audio) = 4.7 ms (average)
MIDI trigger receive (MIDI In) --> Cubase + VSTi --> Sound (RT VSTi Audio) = 5.5 ms (average)
MIDI trigger receive (MIDI In) --> Digital Performer + VSTi --> Sound (RT VSTi Audio) = 6.5 ms (average)
MIDI trigger receive (MIDI In) --> Reaper + VSTi --> Sound (RT VSTi Audio) = 7.6 ms (average)
MIDI trigger receive (MIDI In) --> Studio One + VSTi --> Sound (RT VSTi Audio) = 9.7 ms (average)

Edit: Missing test settings

Very interesting.

Personally, if I had to choose between either higher latency or more jitter, I'd choose higher latency, as that could be compensated for. Jitter is just chaos and I am surprised to see that a couple of the DAWs are all over the place. Reaper appears to be behaving quite similarly to Studio One, except that Reaper's got less latency, so apparently a more powerful implementation can be done. Either way, good thing to be aware of. Thanks for posting your findings, niles. Can't help but to wonder results Live, Logic, Sonar and Pro Tools would produce doing the same test.
by jBranam on Mon May 22, 2017 12:39 pm
so is it gonna be 3.5 or 3.3.5 ? :?: :? and if it is 3.5 then what happened to 3.4? lol cheers

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by Steve Carter on Mon May 22, 2017 2:45 pm
Ooh you tease.....! ;)

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by Daw Stew on Mon May 22, 2017 4:21 pm
talking of Cubase, i saw a good function in that software the other day which studio one would benefit from and it would have been useful for me in a recent session. The Track headers field. If you have a long title for the name of the track, if you mouse over the title in Cubase you get one of those rolling news tickertape views where by the title keeps cycling from right to left so that you can read the full title of the track. Studio One doesn't have that. It's a small feature for sure, but useful if you get other tracks sent and the producer uses long track header titles.
by jpettit on Mon May 22, 2017 6:12 pm
Steve Carter wroteOoh you tease.....! ;)

Not teasing... Hints in a puzzle...
If one were to look at the entire content of this topic across two thread and pay close attention the Easter eggs, one might actually have a general idea of what will be revealed.

SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by Steve Carter on Mon May 22, 2017 9:28 pm
Yeah.... Been back over blogs, posts, YouTube @ 1:55 etc, my brains now hurting - never was any good with cryptic clues, guess I'm gonna have to watch the show - if I can get away from work in time.

Hope it's worth the effort 'cos I'm not in the market for a new interface currently having just ordered (and paid for - ouch!) a new PC today, specifically to run S1 (hopefully without the constant frustrations I've been getting on my old iMac due to lack of it's processing power). Gonna be mightily dissapointed if the new PC doesn't zip along smoothly so any enhancements to S1 pertaining to efficiency will be greatfully received.

Not looking forward to migrating everything from the iMac to the new PC, expecting many hiccups (or hiccoughs) and further frustrations, maybe today's 'secret revelation/s' could ease the anticipated trauma!

Regards.....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by Jemusic on Mon May 22, 2017 10:28 pm
The only way I could get it to work was to send midi from the record machine over to the test host machine and then record the resultant audio with latency back.

Yes I got 410 samples at 128 buffer

by Jemusic on Tue May 23, 2017 12:18 am
I have noticed it does vary slightly depending on the virtual instrument used. Impact was a tad faster for me than Sample One. The best I could get was at 32 samples buffer size and the lowest latency I got was 200 samples with Impact. Which translates to about 4.5 mS. Which is pretty decent.

I can record at 32 samples and do so for the reasons of the best performance. Studio One is very consistent jitter wise though which is good in that respect. They could improve the speed at which a virtual instrument responds because with my thunderbolt interface the best performance is not being quite reached. The output latency is still shown as just over 2mS.

by niles on Tue May 23, 2017 2:14 am
Jemusic wroteThe only way I could get it to work was to send midi from the record machine over to the test host machine and then record the resultant audio with latency back.

Yes I got 410 samples at 128 buffer
That's a legit test too because the reference and VST audio both contain the same latency when send back. Our result is pretty consistent. Over 8 trigger the average latency between the reference and the instrument on my system is 10 ms (443 samples) at 44.1kHz. Which obviously should be closer to 6 ms (40% faster) at a buffer size of 128 samples (128+128/44.1).

The same goes for 32 samples. 4.5 ms is a figure that belongs to an ASIO buffer size of 64 samples at a sample rate of 44.1kHz. While a figure like ~3 ms (30% faster) would be more appropriate at 32 samples.

Jemusic wroteThey could improve the speed at which a virtual instrument responds because with my thunderbolt interface the best performance is not being quite reached. The output latency is still shown as just over 2mS.
I doubt you can interpret the latency reported by the driver that way. After all it still takes time to calculate a real time sound, no matter how fast the communication of the ASIO driver is. But I do think Studio One could be more responsive too.

Thanks for sharing your figures.

by scottmoncrieff on Tue May 23, 2017 9:09 am
Egg's>>>>shells>>>>>Studio One's instrument's / fx devices get a new re-skinned shell to match Presence XT / Mai Tai ?

THE INTRANCER- Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist |- Full Orchestral -Trance - Ambient - Film Scores 27 on S-Cloud 7000+genuine plays | 16 on S-Click | Studio One 3 Concept Re-Designs - Sample One XT | Reason X | S-O-3 Pro | Reaktor 6.0 | Reason 7 | C4D | CS6 |Win 7 64 Bit-Intel I7 [email protected],Focusrite Pro 14, ATH M50's, Casio XW P1&G1 Producer 20+ years - FOH - UK Stadium / Festivals) >>Studio One 3D GUI's<<
by Lokeyfly on Tue May 23, 2017 1:23 pm
@jpettit. You're getting creative with the animated gifts.
Lol

Keep up the good work, and thank you for correcting the location of my post.
All the best.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by jpettit on Tue May 23, 2017 1:36 pm
Lokeyfly wrote@jpettit. You're getting creative with the animated gifts.
Lol

Keep up the good work, and thank you for correcting the location of my post.
All the best.

You came the closest to guessing the core of 3 .5
You almost won the fabulous prize!

by Jemusic on Tue May 23, 2017 3:31 pm
We should run our series of tests now with the new improvements. I will repeat my tests and post up results as soon as I can do it. Should be interesting.

The 16mS latency setting certainly shows up with the thunderbolt interface connected.

by niles on Tue May 23, 2017 4:36 pm
Jemusic wroteWe should run our series of tests now with the new improvements. I will repeat my tests and post up results as soon as I can do it. Should be interesting.
From what I see, drop out protection virtually lowers the monitoring latency by compensating (delaying) non monitored tracks, so you can't use the aforementioned test for it because the audio file won't represent the MIDI triggers.

The good news is, due to this compensation the virtual low latency between the reference material and the monitored track is around 7 ms at 128 samples and 44.1kHz. So humans will overcompensate less (play less ahead the beat).
The bad news is, you have to use drop out protection, so the sound of virtual instruments will temporarily stop each time you monitor a different track and the CPU hit can be extreme when monitoring the first channel of a multi channel instrument containing effects on the different channels. Next to that, instruments with (synced) internal arps, lfo's, sequencers, step editors, delays etc. will be temporarily out of sync when monitoring.

That being said, what happens to the virtual latency when drop out protection is set to minimum? You would think it would bring us back to the 3.3.4 behavior. Unfortunately it's not the case, monitoring latency will be around a staggering 15ms at 128 samples and 44.1kHz, so that mode is kind of useless when looking for low latency.

So did the actual latency change?
When I simultaneously play the same VST Instrument in different hosts, Studio One with drop out protection enabled at medium (128 samples ASIO) behaves similar to 3.3.4. It roughly needs ~3ms extra to produce sound. However with drop out protection set to Minimal the actual latency compared to the other host is huge too. Studio One needs ~10 ms more to produce a sound, which corresponds with the comparison to the audio click file.

One thing is certain: Already complex material became a little more complex today.

67 postsPage 3 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4