15 posts
Page 1 of 1
On the advice of a dealer I greatly respect I a now the owner of a Presonus USB A/D system. My original goal was to begin digitizing my stacks of vinyl, followed by somewhere along the line perhaps considering using it, a mic or two and a laptop as a live recording kit.
I have fumbled and managed to find and open the signal from the phono DI, and seem to have recorded it. Not a very satisfying experience, because I'm not at all sure how to repeat it..
I'm hoping someone might recommend a decent "how to" video or podcast so I can stop walking into things in the dark and make good use of this product that's obviously capable of much, much more.
by scottyo7 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:53 am
Welcome,
Don't stress, you won't learn it all in 5 minutes. ;)

You didn't specify the model so I can only guess.
Check this list of YouTube "How To" videos to see if you're model is in there.
So get a cup of your favorite beverage and get ready to learn.

You can also see a list of the PreSonus tutorials at the bottom of your account page. 8-)

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by davidprelosky on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:48 pm
And I did indeed commit the cardinal sin of asking for help: Hurrying. Trying to get a thread started before I left for work, I didn't walk across the room and note my new gear is an Audiobox iTwo that I intend to dump a Radial Engineering J-33 phono preamp DI into.
40 years ago the best gear I could afford was TAPCO 6 channel mixers, and I thought I was in Rock-n-Roll Heaven. Now I'm in digital control. or will be... Can't wait to get up to speed.
by timmorris on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:39 am
Cool....you have an interesting journey ahead....but never fear !...help is here.

Presonus 16.4.2 - Mac mini 2.3G i7, 16G Ram, Faderport - S1 -3 Pro
Novation Impulse 49 - Yamaha HS7 - Kemper Profiler -
SE 3300 - SE2200 - SE Reflexion - EBMM AAxis super sport - Taylor 414CE - PRS 513.
by klypeman on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:23 am
Welcome !! :mrgreen:

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by davidprelosky on Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:17 pm
Ye Gad... This process should be much simpler than it seems to be. If I manage to find and route the input signal and get the transport and levels to work, I can't seem to replicate the steps on the next attempt.
If simply walk away from my laptop, when I wake it up, it's back to ground zero.
Can anyone recommend a cheat sheet/step by step/push here dummy set of instructions.

I'm ready to move over to Audacity simply because it loads and opens when I try it.... I'd much rather have the EQ available, but frustration is setting in.
by timmorris on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:10 am
Dude...it would be easier if you tell us your actual setup in more detail, your gear, PC specs etc.

It seems like you are trying to do a straight recording on a stereo channel which should be about the easiest task in S1.

Please enlighten us so we can help you ;-)

SE 3300 - SE2200 - SE Reflexion - EBMM AAxis super sport - Taylor 414CE - PRS 513.
by Lawrence on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:20 am
davidprelosky wroteYe Gad... This process should be much simpler than it seems to be. If I manage to find and route the input signal and get the transport and levels to work, I can't seem to replicate the steps on the next attempt.
If simply walk away from my laptop, when I wake it up, it's back to ground zero.
Can anyone recommend a cheat sheet/step by step/push here dummy set of instructions.

I'm ready to move over to Audacity simply because it loads and opens when I try it.... I'd much rather have the EQ available, but frustration is setting in.

Hey David,

Users here do sympathize with you (they're a friendly bunch of goons :)) but most if not all of the things you're having trouble with, how to set up things and make them stick so you can just sit down tommorow, launch it, and make music without having to think much about it anymore, it's all in the user manuals and quick start guides that almost nobody appears to read.

Take a deep breath and read over the setup section in the user manuals for Studio One and your audio hardware.
by ricstudioc on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:22 am
davidprelosky wroteYe Gad... This process should be much simpler than it seems to be. If I manage to find and route the input signal and get the transport and levels to work, I can't seem to replicate the steps on the next attempt.

Next time you get everything set up and are ready to record - STOP! - and save where you're at as a blank template/song. Should let you just pull that blank up every time... (remember to rename as you save each project...)
by davidprelosky on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:30 am
First, thanks to all for the responses - I've been using Macs and Photoshop so long that it's all intuitive. This is a new world I'm exploring and I apparently haven't found the right map.

As to the gear stream, Technics SL-1900 into Radial J-33 phono DI into PreSonus AudioBox Two into MacBook Pro. 500Gb Hdd, 8Gb ram. OS 10.10.5

When I've managed to fumble into the correct setup, all seems well. Then there's the rest of the time. I believe once I sort this out it'll be easy to duplicate but the learning curve is steeper than I imagined.

Somehow the online instruction seems to describe what I want to do, but I'm obviously doing it wrong... If only there were a Wiki sort of thing...

But I shall continue and visit my friendly dealer who is sharing the learning curve, albeit with much more experience in current technology.
by timmorris on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:09 am
David,

This should be ...
Open and name a new S1 song
Add Stereo track
Assign your inputs and outputs

At this point you could save as " Template" ...then every time you open this template it will appear exactly as you want it.

Drag your sound file from the browser onto the stereo track , then tweak levels, EQ, whatever you want.

Or - enable record / monitor on track, play your music source and record it.

"Save as " whatever you want to call it.

Job done?....where are you based?

by Lokeyfly on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:07 pm
While you're learning, envision yourself just "doing it". It's not a wiki thing. It's a perspiration thing. It's all the things you need to do to make it happen. if I could think of one word, it would be patience.

That's about it, on the shortform.

Good luck.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by davidprelosky on Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:43 pm
Hello again folks,

Trying to fit conversion in around the pesky work schedule... Gong to go have another whack at it..
Not expecting an insert tab a into slot b response, but trying to get the right combination to start sweating the right EQ to make this happen the way I believe the software is designed to do. I have no recording experience, and my live days were on a Soundcraft 20x2 board, with limited EQ. A Roland Space Echo was the only processing we had, pumped thru Perkins bins... It has been a while
I'll get up to speed. Eventually.

TIm - I'm in suburban Pittsburgh, Pa.
by davidprelosky on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:48 pm
[b][i]Eureka! [/i][/b]

I think I've got it. Somewhere along the line I neglected to add a projected time to the recording setup section. No time=no input levels, no metering...

Ran a side thru the process, monitored as I went, successfully stored as WAV and imported into - dare I say it - iTunes.
by klypeman on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:56 pm
You are on your way up the learning curve !!! :D

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++

15 posts
Page 1 of 1