15 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,
I have a workstation keyboard that I program. I'm able to layer 4 sounds, the problem is each of the 4 sounds has to have their own unique midi ch i.e channels 1-4 etc.

Is there anyway (probably not!) that I can use one instrument track that is able to output on 4 midi channels, I can't find a way of doing this unless I use 4 instrument tracks etc.

Thanks,
Scott

Studio One Professional v6, Apple iMac Pro 14 core, 128gb memory, 4TB SSD. macOS Ventura, Main audio interface is RME Babyface Pro. Presonus 192, DP88 (not currently used), RC500, ADL600, Focusrite ISA430, TC4000 reverb, SPL Phonitor, Monitoring: Event Opal, IK Multimedia MTM Studio Monitors x 5, DMAX audio Super Cubes. HD800s mastering reference headphones. Sequential Prophet 12, Prophet 12 modules x4, E-MU 4XT Ultra, Roland Fantom 8, Korg Pa3x, Roland Fp7-F, MOTU midi express 128, Xkey air 37, Studiolive CS18, Atari STE with Notator plus loads of microphones and plugins etc
by PreSonuSupt5 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:21 am
Unfortunately at the moment, Studio One can't channelize different channels from one midi track.
by johnnewberry on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:22 am
musicchamber wroteIs there anyway (probably not!) that I can use one instrument track that is able to output on 4 midi channels,t

Scott, if you send the MIDI data out of a Studio One track to an inline MIDI processing software that is between Studio One and the keyboard workstation the MIDI data can then be duplicated, channelized, processed and sent to the multiple MIDI channels you wish.
  For Windows I use the free MIDI-OX software..

I'm not sure what is available for the Mac.
  Here's one software I saw online: MidiIPipe
http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html

,Newberry

:arrow:
Last edited by johnnewberry on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
by musicchamber on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:29 am
PreSonuSupt5 wroteUnfortunately at the moment, Studio One can't channelize different channels from one midi track.

Ok thank you for the response, I like the sound of 'at the moment' it gives me hope ;)

Studio One Professional v6, Apple iMac Pro 14 core, 128gb memory, 4TB SSD. macOS Ventura, Main audio interface is RME Babyface Pro. Presonus 192, DP88 (not currently used), RC500, ADL600, Focusrite ISA430, TC4000 reverb, SPL Phonitor, Monitoring: Event Opal, IK Multimedia MTM Studio Monitors x 5, DMAX audio Super Cubes. HD800s mastering reference headphones. Sequential Prophet 12, Prophet 12 modules x4, E-MU 4XT Ultra, Roland Fantom 8, Korg Pa3x, Roland Fp7-F, MOTU midi express 128, Xkey air 37, Studiolive CS18, Atari STE with Notator plus loads of microphones and plugins etc
by musicchamber on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:30 am
johnnewberry wrote
musicchamber wroteIs there anyway (probably not!) that I can use one instrument track that is able to output on 4 midi channels,t

Scott, if you send the MIDI data out of a Studio One track to an inline MIDI processing software that is between Studio One and the keyboard workstation the MIDI data can then be duplicated, channelized, processed and sent to the multiple MIDI channels you wish.
  For Windows I use the free MIDI-OX software..
 I'm not sure what is available for the Mac.

,Newberry

Thanks for the info, It's certainly worth investigating until / if / when presonus includes the facility etc.

Best
Scott

by johnnewberry on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:32 am
Check out the MidiPipe link I added to the previous post above.
Here is a list of the tools.
    • MIDI In - connects a MIDI input to the pipe
    • MIDI Out - connects a MIDI output to the pipe
    • AList - outputs messages to the screen
    • Message Converter - converts messages from one type to an other
    • Delay - delays the time for when the message is scheduled
    • Transpose - transposes note to multiple keys, set velocity, delay and channel for each
    • Message Filter - filters by messages
    • Channel Filter - filters by channel
    • Channel Router - routes channels
    • Keyboard Split - moves note on/off messages above/below a split point to a different channel
    • Randomizer - randomly changes any parameter value(s) of any channel message(s)
    • Keyboard - play a on screen keyboard with your mouse or keys; will display arriving messages too
    • MicroTuner - apply different scales
    • Set - set any parameter value(s) of any channel message(s) to any value
    • Duration - add a delay between Note On and Note Off messages
    • Control Split - inverse, limit, scale, fade in/out, route and map MIDI controllers
    • Control Slider - simple slider for control message input
    • AppleScript Trigger - use the power of AppleScript to implement everything you want
    • (N)RPN Mapper - map (N)RPNs
    • Velocity Modifier - scale, shift, clip and filter the velocity of Note On and Note Off messages
    • SMF Player - plays up to 128 MIDI Files; handles Song Select, Start/Stop/Continue messages
    • Key Mapper - map keys
    • DLS Synth - user interface for Apple's DLS Synth
    • Message Factory - trigger your own messages with static and variable data bytes
    • Double Filter - filters identical messages
    • Monophonic - make monophonic
    is a list the tools it has.

,Newberry

Last edited by johnnewberry on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
by Funkybot on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:39 am
I put in a feature request for it here but it hasn't gotten much traction yet: http://answers.presonus.com/12884/add-a ... 884#q12884

Part of me suspects that S1 is so lacking in advanced MIDI features, that fewer people who would need those features use S1 in the first place (probably using Cubase or Logic). As a result, these types of MIDI features don't get a ton of votes from an audio-centric or MIDI-lite user base. I've been utilizing a very hybrid (audio and MIDI) workflow for a while, but as I've expanded my studio with more keyboards and controllers, the weaknesses in Studio One's MIDI side have really started to show in ways that I wouldn't have noticed even 3 years ago. I hope beyond hope that Studio One 3.5 or even 4.0 is really focussed on improving the MIDI side of things. Turn those weaknesses into strengths...

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by musicchamber on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:46 am
Funkybot wroteI put in a feature request for it here but it hasn't gotten much traction yet: http://answers.presonus.com/12884/add-a ... 884#q12884

Part of me suspects that S1 is so lacking in advanced MIDI features, that fewer people who would need those features use S1 in the first place (probably using Cubase or Logic). As a result, these types of MIDI features don't get a ton of votes from an audio-centric or MIDI-lite user base. I've been utilizing a very hybrid (audio and MIDI) workflow for a while, but as I've expanded my studio with more keyboards and controllers, the weaknesses in Studio One's MIDI side have really started to show in ways that I wouldn't have noticed even 3 years ago. I hope beyond hope that Studio One 3.5 or even 4.0 is really focussed on improving the MIDI side of things. Turn those weaknesses into strengths...

+1
I agree absolutely - Lets hope for better midi implementation in 3.5 or version 4.

by steviemasters on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:40 pm
Been waiting for this one myself, I use of allot of outboard gear that suffers the lack of proper midi routing support... Virus which has 6 audio outputs and multiple midi channels to route, Roland gear with multiple voices, a Quneo who's lighting and pads have different midi channels, Korg Kontrol that cannot send program changes... , Akai same issue as Korg..., and I use Elektron gear such as the Analog 4 which isn't so bad as its a synth, but the Analog Rytm makes my brain hurt in Studio One. The Rytm which suffers the most for lack of midi routing with S1 as it has each pad by default to a separate midi ch, 12 pads and the thought of having 12 lanes for a single drum track is just crazy stupid and then of course there are parameter triggers via midi which S1 cannot do. If Studio One wants to compete with current daws that can easily implement proper midi routing than this should be a priority for them to add the support for midi routing including sending to multiple devices from a single lane.

If it wants to believe itself to be a professional software than it has to support midi routing for hardware and vst, not everyone only uses vst... and even then you should be able to assign and route midi channels and then ports on those channels as you need.

FL can do it and has a midi out plugin and midi channel as well as port routing built into its software you can route till your face turns blue in FL and they have midi channel by note.

Bitwig can do some routing to a degree, Protools can do it to a degree.
by dnashpherathu on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:05 pm
Studio one is utterly useless when it comes to midi, and after people complaining about this through 2 revisions it's obviously clear they have no intention of implementing any of this stuff. +1 for the midi functions needed for us e-drummers.

i refuse to buy the software, and a friend actually gifted a license to me for christmas. while i LOVE studio one for so many things, presonus will never get a dollar from me until they actually step up TO the starting line regarding some of these VERY basic, universal midi functions.

at least i am able to both stop wasting my time on demo versions, AND complain on their boards, lol. but seriously, it's awesome software. it just needs to grow out of its diapers and join the big boys.

then again, who am i? they're a business and they're perfectly happy doing what they are doing. otherwise, they would have changed by now.

d.
by ruchirshah on Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:36 am
Has the latest version 4 brought multiple midi channels within tracks functionality?
by robertgray3 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:31 pm
Not yet!

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Jemusic on Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:11 pm
Don't forget though that although currently you need multiple midi tracks to address one virtual instrument, it is possible to see and edit all of them at once.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by JohnBW on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:34 am
For me personally, I would think that using separate MIDI tracks for each voice would be the least confusing method, even if it was possible to do it with only one track.

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by robertgray3 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:54 am
JohnBW wroteFor me personally, I would think that using separate MIDI tracks for each voice would be the least confusing method, even if it was possible to do it with only one track.

For a lot of situations, sure. But if you’re using certain external instruments (like the ones steviemasters mentioned or a ROLI Rise) then it’s a pretty tough limitation. It’s very prohibitive for a minority of situations.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2

15 posts
Page 1 of 1