11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi
Maybe a stupid question but I need your help ::
I wish to record an audio vocal track using the new WAVES REALTIME vocal correction plugin - and the point of this is that the plugin corrects the voice pitch in real time and the POST plugin signal should then be recoreded on the audio track.
However, when I play back what was recoreded, then I notice that it was recorded PRE-plugin, in other words "DRY" and the voice pitch was not corrected.
Where and HOW do I configure the recorded audio flow (PRE/POST plugins) ???
And maybe I would like to record the DRY and the PROCESSED signal to two seperate tracks simoultaneously -- how / where can I do this in Studio ONE PRO ????

My Setup::
Win10, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 4Core i7, AudioBox 22VSL,
by Jemusic on Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:28 pm
There are a few ways. One is to insert the plug in right on the Input channels. You can do this. If you open up your inputs in the mixing console you will see you can insert plugins there before the signal even reaches the track.

But that means you will only capture the effected sound (with its latency if any) and if you don't like what it did you are in trouble a bit. e.g. you are stuck with it.

Another way is to create a track as normal and record on that track. Insert the plugin there and then create a buss for that track and send that track to your new buss. Call the buss Vocal FX say. Then create a second audio track now under the first. You can now assign the buss as the input to the second audio track except it will be effected sound.

So in effect you are recording one audio track dry and the other effected with the plugin. (two audio tracks at once) This way you have got options later on if you did not like what the plug-in did to your vocal sound.

You would want to be setting your buffers down low if you are wanting to monitor the effected track etc..

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Tacman7 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:58 am
I would add that you could also do what you did, you got a plugin on the track and you have a dry track with the plugin on it. So it should be correcting it for your playback.

To print that dry file with the processing on it there's a render button on the lower left inspector or right click in the fx area and there's a render choice.

That makes a new file and gets rid of your plug in instance so if it has special settings you would need to save them to a preset so you can call that up again quickly.

Exporting the stem would have the fx on it also I believe.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Jemusic on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:12 pm
I got the impression he wanted to use the plugin live in real time. I am still assuming that is the case.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by preso1616 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:48 pm
Hi there - thank you guys for your replies, very much appreciated !
Looking at the last reply post, I feel I need to maybe clarify.
During composition stage, I wish to lay down some scratch vocal tracks, but experience taught me, that those of us composers who singing is not our primary instrument, it helps to have a tool like WAVES REAL time available to boost confidence during tracking - nice to have this tool improve on a performance in real time. Makes me more confident, makes it more pleasing to work.
This said, my ideal setup would be to lay down paralell tracks simoultaneously - a dry signal track and a processed track.
The dry track remains available for all possible processing and top tools like Melodyne etc. while the "live" track represents the emotion of the moment and lightly edited with a real time pitch correction tool, maybe even compression or other performance enhancing processing. The "live" track is also what the singer hears during tracking, giving him/me confidence and inspiration for a better performance - it's easier to sing when I hear a good vocal sound in my head phones and knowing I can grab that exact performance later. HOWEVER - this is not the only scenario where I found myself wishing to be able to have 1 incoming signal be recorded to 2 seperate tracks simoultaneously - happens frequently to me.
So there - this also means that during tracking and using processing, the latency has to be kept to an absolute minimum and Studio One Pro has to be set up accordingly (low buffer size - I like to use 64 sample rate or whatever the lowest one is), and I also tweak with the AudioBox 22VSL input box accordingly.
HOWEVER - So it is essential to be able to have an EASY way to route 1 incoming signal to 2 seperate tracks for parallel processing and simoultaneous recording of 2 track using 1 input signal.
FEATURE REQUEST maybe = as mentioned above OR maybe there could be slick way of handling this inside the EFFECTS split processing chain if the track effect/plugin signal could be split inside the EFFECTS chain (plugin chain) of that channel and have the option to send to 2, 3, 4 different effect split channels to individual TRACKS (tracks and/or Bus but tracks preferred from my point of view). Hope you guys understand what I mean.

In the meantime, Jemusic's first post reply pretty much nailed it with the processing chain currently available in Studio One Pro 3.3.4.
"ARI" (Studio One developper) in the german speaking forum mentioned that he would send me a couple of alternative processes to achieve what I have mentioned - I am awaiting his post impatiently (and will post here in english when recieved).

What do you guys think ? Anyone out there who did this before or who has similar wish ? Or just anyone who has a cool process in Studio One Pro 3.3.4 to achieve this ???
by Lawrence on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:00 pm
There's no special routing necessary to record parallel tracks that way. Assign two input channels to the same hardware input (click re-assign at the top of the input channel) so you have two input channels being fed from the same source. Put a plugin on one and nothing on the other.

The red input channel below would have a plugin on it and that would get recorded. The green input channel would be dry. Record the two audio tracks as normal, from Input L & input R, which in the image below is the same source except one would have a plugin on it and have processing being printed. The names Input L and Input R in the image are only text labels, the actual inputs can be switched directly to anything.

It's a simple mult.

Hope that helps. Btw, this is an old technique for recording heavy metal guitar, to record a dry track in parallel to have better visible edit references on the dry / un-amped track.
by Jemusic on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:26 pm
Nice one Lawrence even better than my routing to buss etc.. I think the ability to insert plug-ins in Studio One on the input channels is very powerful indeed.

by Lawrence on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:47 am
Thanks J.

It works the same as with any good hardware digital recording console where you can plug a mic into channel 1 and in the mixer switch channel 2 to also source from that same input and have two signals with possible different treatments going out to two different outputs.for recording.
by matthewgorman on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:49 am
Lawrence wroteThanks J.

It works the same as with any good hardware digital recording console where you can plug a mic into channel 1 and in the mixer switch channel 2 to also source from that same input and have two signals with possible different treatments going out to two different outputs.for recording.

Even better, when you are working on your first recording, and you record kick drum to 2 tracks, and only snare bottom. :oops:

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by preso1616 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:38 pm
Lawrence, that's a nice one ! Thanks.
Did you also catch on to me pseudo feature request - where I would like to handle the multi track output from inside the SPLITs of the effects routing channel ?
But anyway - I like your "classic" dual track routing record technique - very elegant, slick.
I am just curious how many more ways of doing this have been conjured up....
By the way - I am greatful for all you people who have posted a reply here - thank you very much for your interest !
by Lawrence on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:19 am
...very elegant, slick.

Not really. That's why I posted that image, because there's a lot of modern daw users that have never really used consoles before (not their fault) and they often get tripped up on some things that are really just fundamental or basic routing or switching.

That's not a knock on anyone. If a person doesn't really know how console routing works in general and have never really used one (and in this case digital consoles) that method would simply never occur to them and they'd waste time looking for unnecessary workarounds. I spent years using / owning various analog and digital consoles so some of that stuff is second nature to me.

I am just curious how many more ways of doing this have been conjured up..

Given how auxes and sends and busses work in mixers there's probably 5+ different ways to get to the same place but generally speaking the fastest way from A to B is usually a straight line

11 posts
Page 1 of 1