5 posts
Page 1 of 1
This is sort of a heads-up and/or bug report, since I found a workaround, but it might be of interest to others.

I have the ValhallaRoom reverb plugin set up as one of several inserts on my lead guitar track, and I noticed that it was producing sound even when there was no event data on that track at all. It seems to be receiving a signal that is a very noisy, distorted version of some of the preceding tracks.

(At first I thought I had somehow activated the Console Shaper and caused the crosstalk that way, but that wasn't enabled. I switched it on to check, and the crosstalk there sounded very deliberate, unlike what I was hearing.)

When I switched the lead guitar channel from Mono-Summed to Stereo mode, the noise went away entirely.

I never had this problem with ValhallaRoom when using it with Sonar. However, the Blackhole reverb plugin (and all the others I've tried) seem to work okay on S1. So there is some strange interaction between the two pieces of software, apparently.

I found this thread on the old forum - http://forumsarchive.presonus.com/posts/list/37031.page - and it seems to have very similiar behaviour. ("Audio verb from track one is somehow coming through Valhalla AU on track 2") That user was using OsX 10.6.8, Valhalla Room AU, Studio One 2.5.1, whereas I have Windows 8.1, Valhalla Room VST, and Studio One 3.3.4.41933.

Another glitch that is perhaps related is that sometimes, when I would export the whole song, the process would report clipping of over 300dB. This went away if I disabled that track, disabled ValhallaRoom, or switched it to stereo.

[Windows 10 64bit | Studio One 6.2 | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre | ESP Ltd EC 1000 | Line 6 Helix | Novation 61SL Mk III]
by Funkybot on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:47 am
Valhalla plugins do not like being used as inserts on mono channels. They're not alone, the Relab VSR-S24 and a few other stereo plugins I have do the same. If you want to use it as an insert, record a stereo channel. Otherwise, I suggest using it on a send, which is the more traditional approach anyway.

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by j0001s on Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:06 pm
You should report it to Valhalla. Sean, the guy who "is" Valhalla, seriously cares about having a clean product.
by bensizer on Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:11 pm
Putting it on a send is all well and good if you want it to be at the end of the chain, but sometimes that's not really what you want. (Also, I need it in an FX Chain.)

Sean is aware of this problem, as it's been posted on his forum over at KVR a few times. It seems to be Studio One specific. Valhalla is fine on mono channels in other DAWs, it seems.

[Windows 10 64bit | Studio One 6.2 | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre | ESP Ltd EC 1000 | Line 6 Helix | Novation 61SL Mk III]
by j0001s on Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:43 pm
Fair enough. I'd still put in a bug report to both Valhalla AND Presonus - it's always better to go that way (I say that as a guy that has developed products his entire working life). As a vendor, It's a lot harder to say that you're not going to fix a reproducible problem from a paying customer.

But I can understand if you would just work around it. And, BTW, thanks for bringing it up - so I know what to avoid (or report...)

5 posts
Page 1 of 1