23 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2

Just curious if anyone elses S1 reverb uses a lot of CPU. Is there something I can change to help this? No other stock plugins are doing this so far. They are very very low on the meter, while the reverb is way up the whole time.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel core i7 6700K
32Gb
Asus Z170A Motherboard
StudioOne Pro 3.5
Midas M32
Monitor Station
by Jemusic on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:22 pm
The Room Reverb on both Win 7 and Mac is right on 2% usage here. If I drop the buffers down to 32 samples it might go a little higher perhaps. But at 128 or higher it is around this usage for me.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by WaterlooSunset on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:28 pm
I just checked a bunch of songs on 2 different computers with small buffers/samples. Its all over from 3% to 12%. If its not causing anything, i would not fret it yet. What happens if you put it as the only effect on a new song.?

Win 10 latest, MSI G41 Z87, I4770K (no OC), 16GB, NVIDIA 710, 2x27" Monitors 1Tb SSD, 500G SSD, 3 platter drives. SYBA Firewire SD-PEX30009, FS Mobile. Monitor2USB, S1 Pro 5 current.
Hobbiest - Mainly Guitars, UVI, Soundtoys, NI, IK, EZ2, SD3, GR5, TH3, Amplitube 4 and 5, Waves GR,
Korg 707, NanoPAD2, MicroKey2. Eris 5, B2031A, 2013 R1200GS-LC.
by Sammy1283 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:46 pm
WaterlooSunset wroteI just checked a bunch of songs on 2 different computers with small buffers/samples. Its all over from 3% to 12%. If its not causing anything, i would not fret it yet. What happens if you put it as the only effect on a new song.?

I'll try this when I get home.

There was a point where I only had S1 delay and reverb on. Delay was hardly moving the meter, reverb was way up.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel core i7 6700K
32Gb
Asus Z170A Motherboard
StudioOne Pro 3.5
Midas M32
Monitor Station
by scottmoncrieff on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:55 pm
On a stereo audio channel with no audio playing the Room Reverb plugin stays at 5% and peaks at 7%. On the same channel with other plugin's you are using it overs between 6% and 7% and peaks to 9%. There are quality and a perform buttons and with 'Perform' selected the Room Reverb falls to 2% usage when on it's own.

Changing the sample count to 32 or 64 has rapid changing between 5 & 9% and at 128 samples it remains rapid but steady around 7 & 8%. The rate decreases and cpu usage lowers above that on a single Room Reverb.

Different patches, different settings different results, but given your system, it looks like something isn't turned on or you have a power saving / possibly a cpu throttling option enabled.

THE INTRANCER- Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist |- Full Orchestral -Trance - Ambient - Film Scores 27 on S-Cloud 7000+genuine plays | 16 on S-Click | Studio One 3 Concept Re-Designs - Sample One XT | Reason X | S-O-3 Pro | Reaktor 6.0 | Reason 7 | C4D | CS6 |Win 7 64 Bit-Intel I7 [email protected],Focusrite Pro 14, ATH M50's, Casio XW P1&G1 Producer 20+ years - FOH - UK Stadium / Festivals) >>Studio One 3D GUI's<<
by Lokeyfly on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:30 am
Given the system specs you have,sammy1283, A CPU level of 10 on room reverb is quite high. Swap the room reverb with the Open Air and see if the level stays high. Also check how many instances of an instrument or audio are going through your reverb. If you have some large number instruments voices, where many chords are playing thick amounts of layers, that will or could ramp up the CPU level of that effects plug. Unfortunately it takes a juggling act to weed out S1's high CPU occurrences.

I rarely see more than 2% on Open Air. 3 would be the peak if it ever sees that, which I can't remember seeing. I almost never use room, but checked by swapping and it was 1% higher than Open Air, at the same juncture. Weird because convolution reverb is typically a higher load, but that's never been the case for me with these two reverbs. Go figure.

With Studio One V3.X, I have at times experienced songs where a heavy use of plugins were used, and one plugin woud be abnormally high, like revealing 30% (forcing everything up from 60 to 90+). Like Ampex guitar effect, so I would try to purge or even swap it for another effect like Guitar Rig. What's weird, is something else would now all of a sudden run at 30 in place of the previous problem case, , like another instance of guitar rig. Weird. So after several restarts, or switching to and working on another song, then go back to the original problem area, the CPU level would drop immensely, and everything running as it should.(50-60total). This anomaly occurs maybe once every two weeks with my laptop, and it's pretty annoying. I have not been able to isolate the cause, or even recreate it. It simply happens at different times on it's own. S1 version 2, as well, but not as much. Maybe once every 5-6 weeks, but it's quite a random and annoying snag with Studio One for me. A simple method of purging would be nice. From my task manager, the high CPU is clearly in Studio One (from Applications), so its never very consoling when when you're staring directly at a problem and can't fix it.

If I had one request for the next major update of S1, it would be a better way to troubleshoot, see, and purge plugin, as well as core status. I wouldn't care if any other sparkly lil' ooh-ahhih features made it in.

Just grease the bearings, and lube the engine, please. ;)

I didn't ask for shiny new floor mats. Fix what's necessary, that you haven't touched since e.g...well..... ever.

Please note: l use effect plugins in the most efficient manner possible. One send for reverb, or primary sends, and never with reverb or delay reduntly used at numerous channels.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by WaterlooSunset on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:32 am
I concur seeing some if these anomalies as well. I swear that removing Guitar Rig, Kontact or SGEAR and adding it right back in the same spot again can change everything. I have settled in at 64 buffers, which i can barely hear if at all recording analog guitars. As long as I am not getting the red spikes, nothing is affected, i seem to be happy. One gets worn out on certain things
It would seem to me that if a VST is CPU hungry, it should always be.
Remember the "Whack a Mole" game!

Win 10 latest, MSI G41 Z87, I4770K (no OC), 16GB, NVIDIA 710, 2x27" Monitors 1Tb SSD, 500G SSD, 3 platter drives. SYBA Firewire SD-PEX30009, FS Mobile. Monitor2USB, S1 Pro 5 current.
Hobbiest - Mainly Guitars, UVI, Soundtoys, NI, IK, EZ2, SD3, GR5, TH3, Amplitube 4 and 5, Waves GR,
by Lokeyfly on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:47 am
With me, no rhyme or reason on how to fix these CPU occurences. I'll swap out the offending plugin, 3 times, and no change. Then shut down, go have something to eat, come back and turn things. Back on and "hello", cpu is fine. So I think of at least there is a way to shake things out easier, would be welcome. There's just no procedure I can do to get it right again. Maybe next time, I'll just break out the candles, and chant to the core gods. :roll:

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by frank.crow on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:16 pm
I'm always fighting the CPU battle in Studio One so I'm always looking for a plugin that will lighten the load in my workflow without sacrificing quality.
If you keep having trouble I'd recommend BX Rooms by Plugin Alliance ($150 worth every penny ) or any of the Valhalla products (about $50)
:thumbup:

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by Sammy1283 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:22 pm
Thanks everyone for the replies so far.
At least I know I'm not alone here.

I've been crazy busy with work so haven't been able to sit down and test anything, but I'll have time this weekend.

This is incredibly frustrating, I just spent $1500 on a new PC because of a 'sort of' related issue. Now I get this. I will say I've only noticed it with the reverb plugin so far, but I'll sit down this weekend, play around more, and report back.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel core i7 6700K
32Gb
Asus Z170A Motherboard
StudioOne Pro 3.5
Midas M32
Monitor Station
by Lokeyfly on Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:40 am
Sammy1283 wrote: I've been crazy busy with work so haven't been able to sit down and test anything, but I'll have time this weekend

Ok, so that's 2 issues we're having the same problem with. :)

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by musicchamber on Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:07 am
I concur with Lokeyfly, dear Presonus, make Studio One purr like a Rolls Royce and I wouldn't care about anything else in the next major update.

Best
Scott

Studio One Professional v6, Apple iMac Pro 14 core, 128gb memory, 4TB SSD. macOS Ventura, Main audio interface is RME Babyface Pro. Presonus 192, DP88 (not currently used), RC500, ADL600, Focusrite ISA430, TC4000 reverb, SPL Phonitor, Monitoring: Event Opal, IK Multimedia MTM Studio Monitors x 5, DMAX audio Super Cubes. HD800s mastering reference headphones. Sequential Prophet 12, Prophet 12 modules x4, E-MU 4XT Ultra, Roland Fantom 8, Korg Pa3x, Roland Fp7-F, MOTU midi express 128, Xkey air 37, Studiolive CS18, Atari STE with Notator plus loads of microphones and plugins etc
by frank.crow on Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:08 pm
musicchamber wroteI concur with Lokeyfly, dear Presonus, make Studio One purr like a Rolls Royce and I wouldn't care about anything else in the next major update.

Best
Scott

Dear Santa

This is all I want for Christmas (oh and better CPU management)

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by Jemusic on Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:59 pm
The total usage meter although showing 23% in that initial shot is showing overall CPU use. (of that first core) Notice the Room Reverb itself is only on 10%. And that looks like it could be because of a quite low buffer setting. Once you start putting the buffer settings up a little this figure should go down.

I don't mind Room Reverb at all and I can use a few of them without issue. It is worth experimenting with Room Reverb and practice getting a decent sound out if it which you can. It is not a bad thing to have a few lesser quality reverbs operating as well as the pristine one you may have over vocals or solos etc..

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Sammy1283 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:01 pm
Yea I have some problems here. Got to find out what's going on. I've tried room reverb, open air and a multi-instrument.

This is at 64. It did get better as I went up. I'll have to check latency though. Things did smooth out a little at 1024. Workable... depending on latency.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel core i7 6700K
32Gb
Asus Z170A Motherboard
StudioOne Pro 3.5
Midas M32
Monitor Station
by WaterlooSunset on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:37 am
What happens when you set 44kHz and not 48?

by Dijon2 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:16 am
What happens if you use it on a send instead of insert?

Jon

i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
GeForce GT 730, Samsung 32" and Dell 24" Monitors
TCE Konnekt 24D, Kawai MP11 Piano, CME UF5
Studio One Prof 3.5.2, Notion 6
Too Many Plugins
by Jemusic on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:22 pm
I think the same amount of CPU is being used regardless of whether the signal flow is side chain or insert. After all the same plugin is being used. Except that as a side chain effect more tracks can access it and hence you may use less of them in the long run perhaps. Which is not a bad idea because that is what we used to do before. Less reverbs processing more tracks might actually help to glue things together a little more too.

These days because we can insert a reverb on every track we do it because we can and it is usually easier and faster too. But having so many different reverbs may not necessarily be the best way to do it.

by Lokeyfly on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:52 pm
Dijon2 wrote: What happens if you use it on a send instead of insert?

As a send, the effect is more economical towards passing numerous tracks to that effects send. Typical for things like reverb, delay, and possibly a chorus or so. That's nothing to do with side chaining, but Jemusic is correct in that the same CPU draw is there on the one instance. Just the same as it would be as an effects send.

Your images are still showing some other condition of CPU drain, because your reverb shows one value, and the total CPU percentage is two to three times that. Maybe that is via some instrument you have on. You can remove them one by one for example in your mixer (under the "Instruments" section in the left side of the mixer. Watch the CPU meter as you remove each. Does your total CPU percentage ever then equal the total the one (or group of plugins totaled). It should, or be very close.

Try that because the one common denominator in your images is you have this total that's way higher than the one reverb value shown. So the problem is a bit two fold. A bit high reverb value, and some unknown total value that is up around 20% or 30%.

Also, when you start out with a new song with no tracks yet, but reverb installed, what does that reveal? Include your audio adapter setting with that (as you have). Often, a whole new start may revels something. So try the single instruments removal check, along with the new song check.

Be vigilant :thumbup:

You'll find it.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Sammy1283 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:09 pm
Ok. So I did some messing around. I feel like with my computer specs, this is pretty high CPU usage.

This first one is opening a new song, at 256 samples, 44.1, it stays at 2-3%

This is putting on room reverb as an insert. Using it as a send had the same result on both 44.1 and 48.

This is the analog delay. Staying very low.

Open air, 6-8%

And this is putting on JUST the '80s dream' mai-tai keys

I have a feeling when I start getting up there with larger sessions this is really going to start affecting me. If its THIS high with just one instance of reverb, literally nothing else, then what happens when I have a high track count and other plugins going?
Is there any kind of optimization guide for Studio One and Windows 10 I can follow along with? I have a feeling some setting is off but I don't know what.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel core i7 6700K
32Gb
Asus Z170A Motherboard
StudioOne Pro 3.5
Midas M32
Monitor Station

23 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2