22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
I have a Roland keyboard that goes into a Motu midi interface which feeds a Roland JV1080. Interface in/out goes USB to computer.

I set up in options 'Adding device' but I'm getting nowhere. (No sound through S13).
I inserted a midi track and got nothing.

Help please?
Thanks
by Jemusic on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:56 pm
You need to go to the External Device area and make sure you have both a keyboard controller setup and an instrument such as the JV2080.

The controller keyboard icon once installed can be told where to Receive From and you would set the MOTU midi as the source. The instrument would have a send TO setting and it is here you would allocate the MIDI out port/s on your MOTU.

Create an instrument track now and you will have the ability to receive midi coming in from your Roland keyboard and you will also be able to direct midi out to the receiving sound generator such as the JV2080. Make sure that track is in input monitoring mode in order to hear the JV being played by your Roland keyboard.

Midi data should now record an playback as well.

I am fan of using hardware and got 9 incredible instruments that I can play along with a song session. I also have a JV2080 and it is very nice module too. I have three expansions in it and they are all great and useful for me. It has a classic fat Roland sound and drops into any mix at any time. Records so nice.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Skip Jones on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:48 pm
Here's a YouTube video explaining what jemusic referred to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqkdIZe6A_g

Skip

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by tbow on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:42 am
Ok, got it working. Don't know how though.

The descriptions in the options ext hardware dialogue aren't too good.
I guess nobody uses midi interfaces anymore.

Yea Jeff, I like my external synths too.
by Tacman7 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:58 am
You have to have a track to hear what the synth is putting out and you have to have a track to hold the midi to send to the synth.

In cubase you can set up an external instrument and just use one track.

Idea worth stealing I say.

Forum Moderator.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Skip Jones on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:01 am
Glad you are up and running. There are a lot of folks using MIDI and Studio One. I have a Yamaha S-08 synthesizer for keys and instruments as well as a Fishman Triple Play on one of my guitars running MIDI. The Faderport also is a MIDI implementation.

Regards,

Skip

Skip

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by Jemusic on Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:01 pm
Tacman7 wroteYou have to have a track to hear what the synth is putting out and you have to have a track to hold the midi to send to the synth.
In cubase you can set up an external instrument and just use one track.
Idea worth stealing I say.

Not sure what he is saying here. In Studio One you only need one Instrument track to monitor the synth and record its data.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Skip Jones on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:12 pm
Have to agree with Jemusic here.

Skip

by Lawrence on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:20 pm
Agree.

The midi track plays out to the hardware synth and the best way to bring (from a regular hardware keyboard, not USB capable boards) synth audio back to the daw is with Pipeline on a bus channel in the mixer. If your hardware keyboard is dedicated to two audio inputs, always plugged in, save the Pipeline preset and drop it into the console to create a new bus return channel already setup whenever you want to hear that synth. No need to monitor anything, Pipeline is direct injection.
by garryknight on Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:43 am
I think Tacman7 is saying that you need a MIDI track for MIDI in/out and an audio track for recording the sound. But only Tacman7 knows...

Garry Knight
Studio One 3 Professional
Melodyne Editor 4, NI Komplete 11
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, Core i5
Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Core i7, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD
Nektar Impact LX49+, Samson Graphite 25, and Korg microKey 25 MIDI controllers
Novation ZeRO SL MkII mixing control surface
Korg nanoKontrol 2 mixing control surface
Reaper, Logic Pro X, GarageBand
https://soundcloud.com/garryknight
by Lawrence on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:00 am
Yeah, that's what I was saying, that he doesn't need an audio track. He only needs a bus channel in the mixer to bring the audio back and stem it to print it.
by Jemusic on Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:16 pm
In the end though you will have to drag out the printed audio onto a stereo track in order to see it and work with it. Pipeline was intended perhaps more for external processing devices. Although it can be used this way for sure.

To print synth audio I would just create a stereo audio track and set its inputs to the synth for printing in real time of course. Then it is done. The audio track is recorded and on the arrange page all ready to go from there. You want to be on a low buffer setting too when you are doing this in order to create an audio track that is correct timing wise too. (with all effects bypassed in case there are any latency adjustments going on)

I find it is good to solo the midi track so it is the only thing playing at the time of the printing.

by Skip Jones on Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:48 pm
Good discussion.

Skip

by Lawrence on Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:03 pm
Jemusic wroteIn the end though you will have to drag out the printed audio onto a stereo track in order to see it and work with it.

Not really. Export a stem and the stem dialog has an option to import to new track. It's really that simple.

Skip Jones wroteGood discussion.

True. If I get a chance I might make a short video about this. I think some are unnecessarily working too hard.
by Jemusic on Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:26 pm
I have done a lot of printing of external audio and one thing that is important is seeing levels going in and also observing the track as it is being recorded too. Doing it through pipeline does not allow you to see all this while it is happening. If something does go a bit weird e.g. a very loud passage that pushes close to clipping it is best observed as it is happening. Through the input level metering and also on the track itself.

Then you are in a position to perhaps stop and maybe do something about it such as edit velocities.

I also like to put a VU meter on the input side of things and monitor the rms level going in and ensure it is at the track reference level. The track may end up lower in the mix later on and that is where the channel fader comes in.

I know that many external synths can be all over the place level wise from very loud to quite soft so some gain staging needs to be done usually to even these things out.

by Lawrence on Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:30 pm
That's why a bus channel has meters like every other audio channel in the console, so you can see the levels in the channel before you render it like any other mixer channel.

Record your hardware instruments any way you choose. I was only letting the OP know that you don't need an audio track in arrange to do that.
by Tacman7 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:54 pm
I'll have to look at pipeline.
Guess I thought it was mainly for FX send and return.

I have an arranger keyboard so I need a midi track to send chords to the arranger then I solo the bass on the arranger and record it on an audio track. That's mainly what I do with it beside using the keyboard as an input device. I don't have any problem with this method, didn't mean to sound like I was complaining.

I'll try using pipeline like an external instrument in cubase, might work for me.

Thanks

Forum Moderator.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Lawrence on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Hey Tacman,

I made a short video below of how I would set this up if I were still using my hardware midi modules or similar as sound sources. I have a Proteus 2000, a Korg X5D, lots of stuff like that in the closet not being used anymore. It seems to work pretty well after setting it all up, but of course, workflow is always personal so *** mileage may certainly vary *** as to the subjective benefits of this approach.

phpBB [video]
by Jemusic on Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:07 pm
It is not really an easier way to do it at all. In the time I took to watch that video I could have created an audio track, selected the inputs that my synth is connected to and recorded the whole track!

You still cannot see what is being recorded this way either. If it has to be in real time which it does of course then you might as well see the waveform being drawn as it happens. It is an extra level of security in the printing.

If something happens during the export you won't know it until it is finished. The problem may have occurred in the first 5 seconds too.

There is no quality benefit either from doing it through pipeline.

Lawrence's approach does work not doubting that but as someone who prints a lot of audio because I do use the hardware a lot I have tried all the options and found mine to be the best and easiest for me.

by Lawrence on Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:12 pm
No idea what your're arguing about or why.

You obviously don't fully understand the phrase *** mileage may certainly vary *** . Which means... "I'm showing Tacman how I would do this, how to set it up once to make it faster for me every time after that."

The setup shown in the video only has to be done once. After that, using it anytime you want to use it is drag and drop in two seconds.

Not everything is a debate, and the video wasn't for you, it was for him. Gosh man, lighten up. :) People have literally asked for the Cubase External Instrument thing (it's it Answers?) and the above is the closest thing to it I can find.

In the time I took to watch that video I could have...

You missed the entire point. The video is not a working method, it's a setup procedure.

22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2