77 postsPage 1 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4
Been trying to find some useful information on control surfaces that integrate well with Studio One (other than a Presonus manufactured option, or iOS solution.) Not having much luck so far...

I don't work exclusively in one DAW, I split my time pretty evenly between Studio One and Logic depending on the project, with occasional help from Live as well...

I'm interested in a control surface with motorized faders that integrates fairly well with Studio One and Logic. (Live's not all that essential...)

A Mackie seemed to be the way to go. The protocol is pretty well integrated with most DAWs. Unfortunately I've been having a hard time finding out whether it integrates well with Studio One on a fairly complex level (i.e. more than just volume, panning, sends...)

Any recommendations would be hugely appreciated... :thumbup:
Last edited by justincrosby on Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master: Mac Pro 12 Core, 88 GB RAM, OSX 10.9.5, VE Pro. Studio One 3.2, Logic X 10.2. Slave: Mac Mini Server, 16 GB RAM OSX 10.9.5, VE Pro.

Composer Reel: https://vimeo.com/115844024
by jBranam on Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:54 am
i have longed for a Console 1 by Softube but it is pricey. cheapest route probably would be the Faderport by Presonus but it is a single throw with controls. cheers

jay

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by roblof on Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:29 am
The behringer x-touch works really well in logic. It seems like they have adopted the mcu protocol really well.

Compared to this s1 have much less functionality, but it is still quite workable.

My biggest gripe with s1 is that scrub/shuttle is not supported and the jog wheel operates in steps of bars. This makes detailed homing in for precise editing not working very well.

You can download some mackie mcu emulator on an ipad and run that against the s1 to get a feeling of how a hardware controller would work.

It looks like we need to enter some feature requests to get some better integration. But all in all it works fairly well but could use some needed enhancements in s1.

Btw, this week just behringer released an update to the xtouch so that it can control the x-air mixer/soundcard at the same time it controls a daw. Much like the cs18 controls the studiolive mixers.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by jBranam on Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:02 am
glad you mentioned that roblof... i wanted to check on the device list and see if they have new ones. hope they are keeping up somewhat with current gear (i just got me a MPD218 recently) cheers

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by Lokeyfly on Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:25 am
For my blood (and wallet), an also nice unit is the Qcon Pro. It's essentially everything the Mackie Promix is, but for a couple hundred less. Has quality faders, and is shown here with its 8 channel expansion. It will accept an additional expander for 24 tracks.

They're not all over the place, but I believe it's out of Germany, and what I do like is the LED's along the faders, as apposed to the Mackie's one LED overload indicator.

Also as an option is the 8 channels of audio I/O off the back as shown. Definitely a more flexible option than the now quite old Mackie Promix.

If you want to go Behringer, just make sure the faders are of reasonable quality, are 100mm (I believe they are), and you do get what you pay for. I've read that the Behringers shuttle wheel is a bit cheep feeling/looking. Just be aware is all.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/998933-REG/icon_digital_usa_qcon_pro_usb.html

S1-6.6, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by justincrosby on Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:32 pm
Thanks guys. Yeah seems like integration could be a lot better... And there really isn't a ton of easy to track down info either... :?

With Presonus basically taking on Avid as of late, seems like having some deep integration for control surfaces is kind of essential.

I did find this video of a guys doing some really cool stuff in S One 2 with an Avid Artist. Toward the end he sets up some pretty cool custom touch keys. Pretty close to what I'd be looking for, or at least could live with :p ...

Around 19:00 he shows setting up custom keys and mentions macros as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b00PF4Y ... Q3UxHOcv7P

Master: Mac Pro 12 Core, 88 GB RAM, OSX 10.9.5, VE Pro. Studio One 3.2, Logic X 10.2. Slave: Mac Mini Server, 16 GB RAM OSX 10.9.5, VE Pro.

by justincrosby on Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:39 pm
Thanks btw roblof. Definitely gonna file a request for better integration and steer them to this thread... Keeping the dialogue goin couln't hurt either :+1

by jBranam on Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:57 pm
WOW jim... never heard of that but it sure looks nice. pricey?

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by Lokeyfly on Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:51 pm
JBranam wrote WOW jim... never heard of that but it sure looks nice. pricey?

Actually, it's not really expensive Jay. It's within reason. The QCon Pro is $749, and the expander is around $500, The main section would be all I need. I got to try one here in NYC. One was at B&H, and the other at Guitar Center (or Sam Ash, I can't remember as they're only a few blocks apart). I think it was GC, but it was a hot day last summer, and I remember that!. :)

Here's their website. https://www.icondigitalusa.com/products/

@Justincrosby: Yeah, controllers have been in many conversations here, and the industry is a bit perplexing. When I visit these large music stores, it's pretty apparent what the buzz items are. It's just not as many HUI console like controllers (unfortunately). The hot ticket items are small pretty colored flashing button filled control matrix devises for young wanna be EM weenies (far be it, I reduce anyone to a cultural stereotype). :)

Seriously, nothing against that, but items like the NI Maschine are selling big, and that's just the center stage right now. So much, that the music stores have an aisle or two and the motif of flashy light cans, pin spots, and mirror balls, comes along, as you can imagine as "Kiddie crack" for the would be buyer.

It always seemed to me anyway, that Presonus would be a good fit to develop some Avid, or SSL like controllers for us prosumer types, that want to run with quality, and have a real home studio like environment. Only thing is, times a ticking, and perhaps while we genuinely want this and will pay for it, it just might not be enough to design, build up and go after. The HUI controllers need to be re addressed, faster, and even a few more control rotary knobs, and relevant points that access DAW plugins, and real mixer layout (EQ sections, compressor, or sig processing zones, etc).

To me the CS32AI is great, but it misses the mark as a true home studio mixer type controller. It's not flat and sexy like the Avid stuff. It seems to be built off of their present day small live mixer. It does not access DAW plugin control points, unless they are Presonus' own proprietary ones like the fat channel. Why?! Is everyone so scared to put together a true universal controller!
I've seen it. The latest Yamaha mixers address Yamaha FX processors. There's very little on the "quality" HUI front. Perhaps due to Mackie get's a cut. Don't know. It's obvious nobody is chasing a really sharp DAW unit with many universal plugin control points. It's always like one row of 8 knobs, 24 buttons (for typically solo, mute, and select, or some other basic thing).

Tell me Presonus (or anyone for that matter) can't produce a $2000 version of SSL's 16 track Nucleus that costs $5000, and I'll show you someone who's not trying.
I do have an idea on the cost of quality motorized faders, but that's not the issue. It is do-able. Just look at the many cheapo controllers for $200-$300 that provide many controllable, and touch sensitive knobs (ie. Novation SL MKII's). The problem is, there's no middle ground.

I think some companies are afraid studio like mixer controllers, be it HUI, or not will impact their other live mixer line. It's a hunch, anyway.

So the whole thing is very uncertain. You know, supply & demand. There's just not enough of "us". It's either Pro, or kiddie wiz bang plasticky controllers. Mostly, anyway.

S1-6.6, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by jBranam on Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:07 am
thnx for the link... the 'lite' would be all i need for my meager operation. after i get the digigrid interface "M" (due out in may) i want to get me a small controller but i am gonna have to save up for the digigrid.. i really want to get some demand off the back of my system :) cheers

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by justincrosby on Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:57 am
@Lokeyfly

Definitely agree... Lately it's all small scale controllers aimed at bedroom EDM producers... A lot less motorized fader controllers these days for sure. Nothing wrong with that... but that's what happens in the gear industry. Trends catch on and eventually everyone jumps on the bandwagon and the less expensive, and more marketable stuff climbs to the top.

The AI Mixer is cool in concept, but waaaay past its day... unless your a front of house mixer it's basically irrelevant. The average, (and I'd venture to guess,) larger market are people making, mixing and mastering music in smaller home studios... an AI or AI mixer is totally targeted at live sound from what I see, which is great, but does nothing to address anything new or ahead of the curve in terms of DAW integration. There's a huge hole in the market for sure, but everyone jumping on it seem to be keyboard controller companies (effectively just aiming at the same audience...)

That's a pretty solid description of what's appealing about the Avid controllers... I may not be a huge Pro Tools fan, but they got the design right... sleek and compact but with the features you'd expect from something larger not too many years back... Presonus could definitely fill that gap, especially with them taking on Avid's target market...

We'll see, I've got another month or so before I'm going to jump on anything. I'm gonna make sure I do all of my homework first... So far the Artist Control with a Mix Satellite seems pretty cool, I like how the key commands and macros can be incorporated into the setup... something pretty close to what I'm looking for... but I'm going to do more digging before I break out my wallet...

by Steve Carter on Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:13 am
Previous post suggested that Presonus are working on it, see....viewtopic.php?p=84486#p84486
Perhaps if Presonus wasn't so secrative about it they could build a groundswell of interest, maybe even a pre-order bank so that on release they could hit the ground running and prevent those that want, spending their hard earned cash elsewhere!

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by justincrosby on Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:26 am
Interesting. Thanks for the link Steve. As you said, secretive doesn't really do anything to interest me from holding off and pulling the trigger once I feel I've found a good match. And, from what I see about both the Faderport and AI surfaces most people wind up either underwhelmed (AI) or having to integrate something more robust (FP)... 2k for a an AI that doesn't do much beyond S One's native effects (or at least that's what I read.. hopefully I'm wrong about that...) is a pricy mistake.

So far using a Eucon surface in HUI mode to add custom macros and key commands seems like the best way to go... Add an Ipad with S One remote and I think I'm better off than waiting for an unknown product release date... Hopefully they'll announce something soon to change my mind ;)

by jBranam on Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:33 am
strange you should point that out steve... not the control but how presonus has become quite secretive :( among other things :( cheers

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by ooohhh2 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:09 am
What about touchscreen guys?
After i tried a touchscreen once, i never wanted any other control surface anymore. Switching beetwen banks just doesn't do it for me. I love how you can just 'grab' the faders, locating the channel and toggling the plugins just from the screen.
Now i'm saving to built a 40 inch touchscreen. Basically like Slate Raven MTi, just bigger.

S1 Pro 3.5.3, Windows 10 64 bit, Faderport 8, Sceptre S8, Temblor T10, RME HDSP 9652, and lots of other gears.
by justincrosby on Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:13 pm
I like touch screen for somethings definitely. But when it comes to setting levels and making automation parameters I'd prefer something tactile...

by matthewgorman on Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:25 pm
2k for a an AI that doesn't do much beyond S One's native effects (or at least that's what I read.. hopefully I'm wrong about that...) is a pricy mistake.

I think you may be working on old information. I have 3rd party plugs mapped, and have the ability to pretty much do everything I need on the CS18. I do have a dual use case via owning an RM16, but as a daw controller it may be further along than you have heard.

homestudiotrainer.com has a really good video on the integration that we currently have. Even that being said, 2k is a little stiff.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by matthewgorman on Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:28 pm
not the control but how presonus has become quite secretive :( among other things :( cheers

Let's not have another conspiracy theory conversation please. In an environment where ideas are stolen everyday, it is perfectly understandable for a company to want to keep things close to the vest. Not everything has an ulterior motive.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by jBranam on Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:22 pm
not a conspiracy and not stirring ... just the company has quieted up than the way things were done in the past. that is all i am saying. and i understand the company is growing and kinda wants to hold back on developments. they were just more open in the past but all's good cheers

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by justincrosby on Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:26 pm
@matthewgorman

I guess I am going on older information... as I said, I've been having a hard finding any definitive information on what works and what doesn't... If they've upped things that's great. But as you mentioned 2k is kind of steep... Any comment on how it interacts with other DAWs?

77 postsPage 1 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4