Share your songs!
14 posts
Page 1 of 1
I actually started working on this a couple of months ago, but life sort of got in the way for a bit and I've only just been able to finish it off.

This is a song I wrote years ago about that little spark of excitement you feel when you first meet someone you find yourself falling for, but recently re-recorded and mixed in Studio One.

As always, any comments or feedback more than welcome. Cheers!

phpBB [audio]
by klypeman on Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:01 pm
I have 2 cents on this one.
I would broaden the main vocal (like bi-neural pan on something like 130-140) and some up in volume and adjust the BV to fit and also get the bass up some and maybe use side-chaining from the kick with a compressor on the bass track if not already done so.
Are you using EZBass ?
All in all a nice tune even with no adjustments.
:mrgreen:

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by danielowen on Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:01 pm
klypeman wroteI have 2 cents on this one.
I would broaden the main vocal (like bi-neural pan on something like 130-140) and some up in volume and adjust the BV to fit and also get the bass up some and maybe use side-chaining from the kick with a compressor on the bass track if not already done so.
Are you using EZBass ?
All in all a nice tune even with no adjustments.

Thanks for listening and for the suggestions, klypeman! I haven't played with side-chaining before, so I'll need to do some reading and testing :reading:

Yep, used EZBass, EZKeys and SD3 in this track. EZBass was much easier to program than what I used in my previous project!
by klypeman on Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:47 am
Do you know that you have three outputs on the EZBass 1/2 for the FX, 3/4 for DI and 5/6 for sub-bass ?
If you click on the EZBass in Instruments on the Console and tick in the square, they will appear in your Console as three separate faders and is mighty cool to fiddle to get the right sound with in my eyes.
Same goes with SD3 but a lot more with outputs set in the SD3 mixer.
Haven’t tried if it works same way with EZKeys yet, will try tomorrow as I have to supervise a video production today.

To setup side-chaining you need a compressor on insert on the bass track and also setup the SD3 to have several outputs like kick on 3/4 in for starters the SD3 mixer for example and on the compressor on the bass track look at the top where it says side-chaining, activate that towards kick and then start fiddle that to your contend.
Have a great day !

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by danielowen on Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:45 am
Yeah I used the multi outs for both EZBass and SD3, then bounced the tracks to audio from each before mixing (I've been stung previously when leaving virtual instruments in projects and then came back to open them in the future and can't etc and then I'm left without the original sound).

Thanks for the rundown on side-chaining, I'll have a play when I next get a chance :D

This is the second song where bass has been a comment, I wonder if lack of acoustic treament is playing a part? My room isn't ideal, it's pretty much square and I haven't yet sorted out any acoustic panelling or bass traps...so I'm essentially going against all recommendations here...although I am making sure to listen on different stereos in different rooms (and the car). I guess it's also something that improves with time and practise :mrgreen:
by klypeman on Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:02 pm
Sure is !
I like this as is and all also.

Forum Moderator.

by markbuster on Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:41 pm
I really like this. The only thing that jumps out at me, is that I think the chorus could have a bit more impact and contrast if the verse was a bit 'smaller'. For example, there are hard panned guitars through the first verse, and they seem to stay at the same level and position when the chorus hits. I think that bringing those guitars down and in during the verse, then going wide at the chorus, would really add some lift and propel the song forward.
It's a small thing, but it stood out to me.
Otherwise, great songwriting and performance!

My Stuff On Spotify
by danielowen on Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:06 am
Thanks very much for listening and for the suggestion Mark! I like that idea, I'll have to test it out on the weekend.
by SMcNamara on Fri May 07, 2021 4:33 pm
I just ventured out of the standard Studio One forum to the "Made in S1" forum, and was truly impressed by This Little Thing. In addition to the positive and constructive production comments, I just want to commend Daniel for an outstanding work -- composition, production, mixing, and mastering. This is the type of musician we all strive to find and collaborate with! :D

Best of luck Daniel.

Windows 10 64-bit | Studio One Pro (newest update at time of posting the message) | 8 cores | 16GB Ram | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 interface (2nd Gen) | Presonus Eris E44 Monitors | Atom SQ | Roland VG-99 | EZBass, EZKeys 2, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Drummer 3, various other virtual instruments | a surfeit of guitars and third-party plugins :)

Newest release, using Studio One

Other music created in Studio One
by sirmonkey on Fri May 07, 2021 9:28 pm
Really good work.
I like what you did with the vocals. I don't know what processing you used,
but it sounds a little different from most other stuff, in an interesting and good way.
I can tell that you have a legit natural voice, without processing.
What mic did you use for the vocals? Did you use much EQ?
Sounds like you have a short room delay going, and just the right amount.
To me, it sounds like the vocals are not processed very much, because they don't need to be.

* BTW, I'm a perpetual noobie/ hobbyist guitar guy, who can't sing, just to give you my background.

I don't know if you enjoy comparisons, but I can imagine the GooGooDolls doing something in
this vein. But I definitely like your sound better.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by danielowen on Sat May 15, 2021 7:23 pm
SMcNamara wroteI just ventured out of the standard Studio One forum to the "Made in S1" forum, and was truly impressed by This Little Thing. In addition to the positive and constructive production comments, I just want to commend Daniel for an outstanding work -- composition, production, mixing, and mastering. This is the type of musician we all strive to find and collaborate with! :D

Best of luck Daniel.

Wow - that's very kind of you to say. Thanks so much for venturing into the Made in S1 forum and for taking to time to check out my music and passing on such positive comments, I genuinely really appreciate it.

sirmonkey wroteReally good work.
I like what you did with the vocals. I don't know what processing you used,
but it sounds a little different from most other stuff, in an interesting and good way.
I can tell that you have a legit natural voice, without processing.
What mic did you use for the vocals? Did you use much EQ?
Sounds like you have a short room delay going, and just the right amount.
To me, it sounds like the vocals are not processed very much, because they don't need to be.

* BTW, I'm a perpetual noobie/ hobbyist guitar guy, who can't sing, just to give you my background.

I don't know if you enjoy comparisons, but I can imagine the GooGooDolls doing something in
this vein. But I definitely like your sound better.

Thanks so much for the listen and such encouraging comments.

From memory my Vox signal chain on that one was (after doing some minor tweaking in Melodyne) some EQ > Waves Vocal Rider > Waves RVOX > More general EQ. There would have been a desser and maybe another compressor in there somewhere too, I just can't quite remember where they sat and am on a different computer at the moment so can't double check.

I didn't EQ the vocals too hard, just a little scultping to remove bad frequencies for the mix really. I think in this mix I routed the vox to a plate reverb fx bus and also to a Waves H-Delay fx bus. Nothing too drastic, though.

Vocals were recorded on a Rode NT1000 large diaphram condensor.

I quite like to GooGooDolls comparison, I like their sound and feel :D
by sunlove on Fri May 21, 2021 8:29 am
Great song and mixing. The piano needs to stand out more IMHO, it would provide a wider musical range. What I mean is that it sounds conservative, until the guitar solo. There's a guitar riff to fit that purpose at 1:28 but is not episodic to underline chord progressions and melody lines. The guitar role should culminate to the solo in that type of song. Presently it's too timid. More dynamics overall in the playing and EQ space would be beneficial according to me.
Hey, but don't get me wrong. You've written and performed a really good song.

System specs:
- LINUX Ubuntu 23.10
- INTEL Core5 i8400 with 48GB DDR4
- Samsung 980 M.2 1TB SSD
- AMD RX480 8GB GPU
- Scarlett 2i2 GEN2
by SMcNamara on Sun May 23, 2021 11:09 am
danielowen wrote
SMcNamara wroteI just ventured out of the standard Studio One forum to the "Made in S1" forum, and was truly impressed by This Little Thing. In addition to the positive and constructive production comments, I just want to commend Daniel for an outstanding work -- composition, production, mixing, and mastering. This is the type of musician we all strive to find and collaborate with! :D

Best of luck Daniel.

Wow - that's very kind of you to say. Thanks so much for venturing into the Made in S1 forum and for taking to time to check out my music and passing on such positive comments, I genuinely really appreciate it.

So I happened to venture back to this forum, and saw This Little Thing back near the top again. I figure you won't mind a slight ego boost so I have to say I listened to the song again, and it's better with each listen. More than a Goo Goo Dolls influence, I hear Toad the West Sprocket, Jude Cole, Duncan Sheik, and similar (hopefully that's also a boost! :D ).

As for the comment about bringing up the piano, that's not a bad idea for some parts but I wouldn't do it throughout -- there is a good mix of instrumentation taking the spotlight. As you've generated some ongoing interest in the song, you might invite some Studio One people to do their own mixes, to see if you hear anything different that you like -- but your mixing instincts are already very good.

Continued luck.

Windows 10 64-bit | Studio One Pro (newest update at time of posting the message) | 8 cores | 16GB Ram | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 interface (2nd Gen) | Presonus Eris E44 Monitors | Atom SQ | Roland VG-99 | EZBass, EZKeys 2, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Drummer 3, various other virtual instruments | a surfeit of guitars and third-party plugins :)

Newest release, using Studio One

Other music created in Studio One
by danielowen on Mon May 31, 2021 6:15 pm
I'll preface this by apologising for the delay in replying - things have been really hectic with work lately, so I've had fairly limited time lately.

sunlove wroteGreat song and mixing. The piano needs to stand out more IMHO, it would provide a wider musical range. What I mean is that it sounds conservative, until the guitar solo. There's a guitar riff to fit that purpose at 1:28 but is not episodic to underline chord progressions and melody lines. The guitar role should culminate to the solo in that type of song. Presently it's too timid. More dynamics overall in the playing and EQ space would be beneficial according to me.
Hey, but don't get me wrong. You've written and performed a really good song.

It's interesting you mention this, it was something I sort of went back and forward with for a bit. In the little bit of playing around I did, in my opinion at the time, it started getting pretty busy pretty quickly the more intensity I added to the piano, especially earlier on. But I do get what you're saying regarding building more to the solo. In all honesty, the supporting little electric fill parts were recycled from the original recording I made of this song years ago, so there's certainly more work I could do to flesh it out and add some more dynamics and soul to the electric lead parts.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, genuinely appreciate it :D

SMcNamara wrote
danielowen wrote

Best of luck Daniel.

So I happened to venture back to this forum, and saw This Little Thing back near the top again. I figure you won't mind a slight ego boost so I have to say I listened to the song again, and it's better with each listen. More than a Goo Goo Dolls influence, I hear Toad the West Sprocket, Jude Cole, Duncan Sheik, and similar (hopefully that's also a boost! :D ).

As for the comment about bringing up the piano, that's not a bad idea for some parts but I wouldn't do it throughout -- there is a good mix of instrumentation taking the spotlight. As you've generated some ongoing interest in the song, you might invite some Studio One people to do their own mixes, to see if you hear anything different that you like -- but your mixing instincts are already very good.

Continued luck.

Ha, never one to turn down an uplifting comment :mrgreen:

Thanks so much for your comments and taking the time to listen again. Isn't it an amazing time to be alive, that we have access to studio gear in our homes that many artists would have dreamed of having access to in a high end professional studio not that long ago, and have platforms such as these to be able to share our creations with others and collaborate and provide feedback to encourage and help people with a similar passion.

Could be an interesting exercise to see what others would do with the song, I always find it fascinating how different people hear things quite differently with songs - I think that's the great thing about music, and inspires me to try and write songs that aren't SUPER specific, so that different people can relate to them in their own way, rather than having to have had exactly the same experience as me in order to be able to relate.

14 posts
Page 1 of 1