Share your songs!
26 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Would appreciate it if anyone could tell me what they think about this mix...anything standing out as weird or wrong or bad.

https://soundcloud.com/user-186908625/open-the-door-21

thanks

:thumbup:
Last edited by hello people on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:02 am, edited 10 times in total.

by sirmonkey on Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:28 pm
Sounds good to me. I like the bass line- maybe bring up the bass a bit?

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic,
by hello people on Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:49 pm
Thank you Sir. Yeah I thought it should be louder in the high singing sections.

Does anyone think it's too loud?

by Lasperanza on Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:10 pm
Nope, I personally don't think it sounds too loud. Sounds like it was recorded a while back, and that's meant as a compliment.
Wonderful balance of guitars in the mix. Perhaps the guitar phrases on the rhs occasionally peak in front of the vocal around 2m53s, but I'm splitting hairs. Love the way the bass is brought in and out.
Not the style or type of music I'd normally listen to, but now find myself wanting to hear it again.
Great work.

Studio One 4.1 x64 - Windows 10 x64, Intel i7 4790K, 16GB RAM
Samsung 960 M.2 250GB for OS, Samsung 840 500GB SSD x2_Samsung 850 500GB SSD x1 for Audio and Romplers.
Samsung 40 inch LED monitor, Presonus Faderport
SPL Crimson Rev.2, Clarett 8 Pre USB
Focal Twin 6BE monitors
Numerous microphones from Audio Technica, AKG, SE Electronics, Neumann...and my favourite Mojave 301 FET.
by hello people on Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:37 am
Thanks for listening Lasperanza. I agree so I adjusted some of the lick levels around that time. I thought the whole thing was a bit squashed before so I lighted things up in that regard. Anyway, thanks for your advice.

by scottyo7 on Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:17 pm
For the genre' it's a good mix.
The vocals are EQ'd so as to sit 'right there' yet prominently understandable.
If it were me, I'd add a bit more oomph to the bass guitar - either EQ or volume.

If you've not already done so... Please add your Signature & Gear Spec's to your Profile Here.
ASUS Laptop, i7 3820QM; 16GB; 2 Samsung 840 SSD's; NVIDIA GTX 670MX; Win 8.1.
S1 Pro 4.6.1; EZD2 2.1.8. Behringer UMC404HD USB A/I.
Synths: Alchemy, Air Tech Music Suite. Melodyne Studio 4.2.4. Ozone 5, (all 64bit).
Akai MPK249. 6 guitars. Eleven Rack, 2 Line 6 POD's & an E-bow.
Fluid Audio FX8 monitors; Dual 28" Displays. Rode NT1; SM58. Faderport;

-My Band: "2GUYZINABASEMENT"
-Just Me
by hello people on Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:55 pm
Thanks a lot scotty. I added a bit more vol to the bass

by Bbd on Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:21 pm
I like it.
I would compare your bass and kick to this:
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9 ... fYwq5IgkLo

I think the mids and highs are spot on.
Cool arrangement and nice vocals.

Bbd

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 4.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 16GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM
by hello people on Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:29 pm
Bbd wroteI like it.
I would compare your bass and kick to this:
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9 ... fYwq5IgkLo

I think the mids and highs are spot on.
Cool arrangement and nice vocals.

What's that Bbd? The link is blocked in my part of the world apparently

by Bbd on Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:13 am
Try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCjNJDN ... Ot&index=9

Just giving examples of nice bass in pop songs.
;)

Bbd

OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 4.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 16GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM
by hello people on Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:51 pm
I couldn't really hear the bass in that one on my laptop...but ok!

Plus that's a lovely, pro mix, mine's a bedroom hobby job.

by Bbd on Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:17 pm
Of course.
Feedback can help getting out of the bedroom!

Bbd

by hello people on Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:37 pm
So I should lower the bass? Change it's tone?

by Bbd on Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:25 pm
No. The bass is too soft in you mix IMO. It needs to be fuller.
If you A/B with my example, you might hear what I mean. Don't use your Laptop speakers but instead use a good pair of headphones or studio monitors.
Check it in your car.
I just spent an hour listening to top YouTube music videos which I try to do often.
I get used to the full frequency range of different types of popular songs.
I have good speakers and sub. It helps me to realize what is possible.
When I make comments about songs, I have this setup as my reference.
I try to encourage those who don't know what their mix sounds like outside of their world to test it against other songs.
It's just to help you learn if you might be missing some things on your end.
If it sounds great on your side then there's no reason to change it. But I think we all want to have our mixes sound the best they can for others as well.
So if you don't hear what I'm talking about after A/B your song, then I wouldn't worry about it!
;)

Bbd

by hello people on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:43 pm
Thanks a lot Bbd.

To be honest, and it's a long boring story, I mixed this in Beyer dt880 headphones and checked balance/ mix on a few different earbuds and laptop speakers.

It was kind of a test to see how close I could get a mix to transfer just by mixing in headphones.

Long story short....I'm away from my studio until Sept 2020! I'm tinkering on a bare bones 2nd unit...no monitors/ speakers...to...speak of.

I'll listen to your example with my headphones on anyway. And thanks!

PS....when you say bass do you mean bass guitar or the low end in general??

PPS....just heard the depth of that mix...yes certainly a nice low end there...deep bass.

PPPS...I uploaded a new version where I added bass back into the entire mix that I'd rolled off in stereo bus eq. (noticed I'd rolled off quite a lot of low end) I didn't toy with the bass guitar as such, only the whole low end. It's subtle, and basically all I can do in headphones safely. Anyway, it should be a little more weighty in the low end now.

https://soundcloud.com/user-186908625/open-the-door-21
Last edited by hello people on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Bbd on Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:18 am
Hi, I mean sound of the bass and low end in general as well.
I think you are now on the right track.

Bbd

by hello people on Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:19 am
Well thanks Bbd. I did also ease off the low end roll off on the bass guitar as well.

I sure want to make mixes that translate as well as possible.

I guess I'll do better once my studio is up and running.

by Bbd on Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:55 am
:thumbup:

You already did good.

Bbd

by hello people on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:05 am
Thanks you're far too kind. Mixing this so many times, or tweaking it anyway makes me wish I recorded it better in the first place, arranged it better, used a better key for my voice and performed it better.

Anyway...it's just an exercise in mixing now.

Appreciate your advice.

by bjornfredrickson on Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:15 pm
Catchy and toe-tapping. I really liked the accompanying bass line. That and the bouncy drum track and guitar fills add up to a great song.

Bjorn

soundcloud.com/orygun
http://www.bjornfredrickson.com
https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson
Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Studio One, Reaper

26 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2