Share your songs!
11 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have been working on this for a long time now. I just can't leave it alone. It now has 4 guitar parts none of which are great, but I am trying...

Comments good or bad are always welcome.

phpBB [audio]
Last edited by rogerhinton on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Intel Core i5 3.2Ghz - 16 GB RAM
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
PreSonus Audibox USB
Studio One 3 x64
Mackie MR5mk3 Studio Monitors
1954 Martin 0-18 Acoustic Guitar
M-Audio Prokeys 88 Keyboard
by scottyo7 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:57 pm
Four guitars... I'm in!
I really like this and the vibe/layout.

But it seems to lack definition in the highs and lows... it kind of sounds like only the mid-range is engaged. The waveform indicates possible over-compression as you may have been trying to make it "Loud"?

Although, I'm no stellar producer here's one of mine as to what I go for... that also has 4 guitars. Notice the 2 rythym guitars at the right and left and the other 2 guitars doing doubled and counter riffs here and there. To my ears, I can hear each one.

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by sirmonkey on Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:56 pm
I like the composition, and the playing is just fine.

Sounds over-compressed though, with obvious pumping and a "fluttery" sound. And it sounds like this is happening on the master bus. Any chance that you could re-post the mix without any compression on the master?

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by rogerhinton on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:47 am
scottyo7 wroteFour guitars... I'm in!
I really like this and the vibe/layout.

But it seems to lack definition in the highs and lows... it kind of sounds like only the mid-range is engaged. The waveform indicates possible over-compression as you may have been trying to make it "Loud"?

Thanks... I noticed after I posted it that it seemed a bit flat and lacking dynamic range, so I reposted it with some changes. It still sounds muddy to me, but then I really can't trust my ears anymore. I must be spending too much time with the headphones and not enough listening through speakers. I'm not using any compression only a slight limiter on the main.

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
PreSonus Audibox USB
Studio One 3 x64
by rogerhinton on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:49 am
sirmonkey wroteI like the composition, and the playing is just fine.

Sounds over-compressed though, with obvious pumping and a "fluttery" sound. And it sounds like this is happening on the master bus. Any chance that you could re-post the mix without any compression on the master?

Thanks for your input. I felt it sounded compressed even though I am not using compression on any track or the mains, only a limiter to smooth out the peaks.

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
PreSonus Audibox USB
Studio One 3 x64
by sirmonkey on Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:12 pm
Sounds a lot better this time around. Maybe this time around, you're not pushing the limiter nearly as much? * I do consider a Limiter as a specialized compressor. And an aggressive one, at that.
Anyway, the pumping is gone, and you definitely improved the mix.

The mix could be brighter, and I do have a possible suggestion besides EQ-ing. There are a few plugins by Melda productions, which can transform soft sounds in the spectrum to loud, which is controlled by a transformation curve. This is hard to explain, and I forget which plugins have this feature. But I did see a video where this was used, and it brightened up the mix, while keeping the bass nice and punchy. It was like a mix brightener + compressor.

I will try to hunt down the video. Hopefully, one the free plugins has this feature.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by sirmonkey on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:05 pm
O.K. - found it!The plugin that I was thinking about is called MTransformer. In the video, the function I was referring to is at 8:44 in the video.
phpBB [video]

MTransformer is a paid video, but MWaveshaper is free, and I think that it can achieve the function outlined in the video. But since I'm not sure, I will test this and get back to you.

by rogerhinton on Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:13 am
sirmonkey wroteSounds a lot better this time around. Maybe this time around, you're not pushing the limiter nearly as much? * I do consider a Limiter as a specialized compressor. And an aggressive one, at that.
Anyway, the pumping is gone, and you definitely improved the mix.

The mix could be brighter, and I do have a possible suggestion besides EQ-ing. There are a few plugins by Melda productions, which can transform soft sounds in the spectrum to loud, which is controlled by a transformation curve. This is hard to explain, and I forget which plugins have this feature. But I did see a video where this was used, and it brightened up the mix, while keeping the bass nice and punchy. It was like a mix brightener + compressor.

I will try to hunt down the video. Hopefully, one the free plugins has this feature.

Thanks again for the input. My biggest problem with mastering a mix is my hearing loss. I pretty much cannot hear anything above 5K and use the visual reference of the FFT spectrum meter to help me not over do the highs or the lows. I also have pretty bad low pitch loss in my left ear, so I cannot tell if I am pushing too much bass. However, I have been around music my whole life so I probably won't be giving it up any time soon...

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
PreSonus Audibox USB
Studio One 3 x64
by sirmonkey on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:00 am
Ah, I see. You're doing very well with the limitations you have. I've heard a lot stuff by youngsters that really doesn't stack up to what you're doing.

I have verified that MWaveshaper can accomplish what I have described, and it's free. HOWEVER...

The effect in practice is subtle, at least on the mix I have tested. And it distorts very quickly. In short, there is a small window to get the desired effect, and it's easy to add a lot of distortion. Given how you've described your hearing loss, I think that the idea I posted would lead you astray. It would be probable that you would introduce a lot of noise and distortion that you wouldn't be able to hear.

So, really, keep doing what you're doing, keep posting for the perspective of others, and keep enjoying yourself!

by jpsbuk on Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:38 pm
With the issues you are describing regarding your hearing I think this is pretty miraculous :)

It does seem to lack a bit of 'sparkle' so maybe could do with the higher frequencies being boosted (or not cut) just a little. Apart from that sounds very nice (both sound and composition)

Studio One 4.5.0 Professional
MacBook Pro (2018) 2.9GHz 7th Gen i7 Processor 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560 4GB with Presonus Studio 24C
Mac 27" i5 with Presonus FireStudio Mobile
Akai LPK25, NI Komplete Kontrol S49 Mk2, Komplete 11, Nektar Impact GX49, NI Maschine Jam, NI Maschine Mikro, Faderport 1, Artiphon Instrument 1

http://soundcloud.com/busterbuk
http://busterbuk.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/BusterBuk/
by rogerhinton on Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:33 pm
jpsbuk wroteWith the issues you are describing regarding your hearing I think this is pretty miraculous :)

It does seem to lack a bit of 'sparkle' so maybe could do with the higher frequencies being boosted (or not cut) just a little. Apart from that sounds very nice (both sound and composition)

I really wish I could hear "sparkle"...

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
PreSonus Audibox USB
Studio One 3 x64

11 posts
Page 1 of 1