Share your songs!
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
HI all,

This is one of the first songs I've mixed in Studio One--a song I've been working on with a few friends of mine.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to listen and comment.
- Sean

New Mix (Updated 10/3/2018)

https://soundcloud.com/sean-peifer/walking-with-you-mix-8

Music and Lyrics by Sean Peifer
Sean Peifer - Lead Vox, Rhythm and Lead guitar
Reece Bain - Piano, Drum Programming and BG Vox
Michael Hanson - Rhythm Guitar, Bass Guitar and BG Vox
Mixed by Sean Peifer
(c) 2018 Sean Peifer
Last edited by seanpeifer on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by timmorris on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:49 pm
Hi Sean !..

Well the good news is you got a song completed in S1 and up here for review :thumbup:

I like the vibe, its kind of 60's sounding melody to me.

A could of things that I would say, the vocal is a bit off here and there, but it sort of goes with the song , but personally I would have to fix that.

The guitar solo....now then....I would ditch it... :shock: sorry but its all over the place, try playing something much simpler that fits better.

A few things to think about, on the guitar panned left, maybe try a reverb panned right just to widen it a bit, do you have a limiter or compression anywhere?....I would like a bit moire punch :rtfm2

Anyhow...its a good song and a nice melody....just my opinion :lol:

Presonus 16.4.2 - Mac mini 2.3G i7, 16G Ram, Faderport - S1 -3 Pro
Novation Impulse 49 - Yamaha HS7 - Kemper Profiler -
SE 3300 - SE2200 - SE Reflexion - EBMM AAxis super sport - Taylor 414CE - PRS 513.
by seanpeifer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:43 am
timmorris wroteHi Sean !..

Well the good news is you got a song completed in S1 and up here for review :thumbup:

I like the vibe, its kind of 60's sounding melody to me.

A could of things that I would say, the vocal is a bit off here and there, but it sort of goes with the song , but personally I would have to fix that.

The guitar solo....now then....I would ditch it... :shock: sorry but its all over the place, try playing something much simpler that fits better.

A few things to think about, on the guitar panned left, maybe try a reverb panned right just to widen it a bit, do you have a limiter or compression anywhere?....I would like a bit moire punch :rtfm2

Anyhow...its a good song and a nice melody....just my opinion :lol:

timmorris - Hey, thanks for the listen and for your honesty. I truly appreciate it, even though it can be a bit hard to hear. :)

I wasn't really thinking about the 60s, but you're not the first person who said that, so I guess it's one of those unconscious things. I was inspired by some jazz musicians I know, but I don't know how to write jazz, so it came out as 60s.

We're looking at the lead vox, and it looks like they are off. I could hear it in the first chorus especially, but I just settled, thinking it was good enough. I don't use Melodyne, so I'll probably re-track the lead vox. They have some clipping anyway.

I have mixed feelings about the guitar solo. Initially, I had the same suspicion before I posted this. I'm kind of a crazy player, and I have a habit of getting busy. I asked others what they thought of it, and everybody else thought it worked. It does fit my style (I'm not saying my style is particularly good...but it is a matter of taste). I may redo it...not sure yet. It might even turn out better if I did. (Except I still like that closing lick--just me).

I am using compression on all the vocals and also on the drums. I am also applying a limiter to the master. I tend to use these sparingly, because I don't like it when I hear the effect too much. I also like dynamics and a "cleaner" sound (I'm not sure that's the right word).

Again, thanks for your critique. I'll likely post a new mix later (I won't be able to work on it for a few weeks). So I hope that you consider listening to the next version.

Thanks again,
Sean
by timmorris on Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:03 am
Hi Sean,

The song is yours...thats it really...now you have to deal with how you want it to appeal to how many people and what the target audience is.

Ive mixed a few tracks for a guy who is quite different, not mainstream at all, and hes happy with that.

Anyhow, only you will know when is finished :thumbup:

Presonus 16.4.2 - Mac mini 2.3G i7, 16G Ram, Faderport - S1 -3 Pro
Novation Impulse 49 - Yamaha HS7 - Kemper Profiler -
SE 3300 - SE2200 - SE Reflexion - EBMM AAxis super sport - Taylor 414CE - PRS 513.
by Black_Haus on Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:47 pm
I like it. Do I hear hear a Queen influence? The vocals remind of Queen for sure and Freddie Mercury was an amazing singer.

The guitar solo kind of fits the song but a redo could be an improvement.

I think the cymbals and hi-hats could be more present in the mix to add some sizzle and the Kick and bass seem to be sharing a lot of the same low end frequencies to me.

It's a very good song. well written & arranged. Looking forward to hearing what you end up with. Good Job!

Dell XPS 8930 - Win10 64-Bit i7 8700K 32GB RAM 512 SSD 2TB HD S1 2 Pro, S1 3 Pro & S1 4 Pro
HP Omen - Win 10 64-Bit i7 7700HQ 12GB RAM 1TB HD S1 4 Pro
Firestudio Project x 2, StudioLive 16.4.2, Audiobox 44VSL Yamaha HS8 & HS10
Roli Seaboard Block & Lightpad, Nektar Impact LX49+, Fender, Gibson, Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Avatar, ADA, SWR

https://www.zeroempire.net
https://constantcollision.com
https://www.youtube.com/zeroempire
by seanpeifer on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:27 pm
timmorris wroteHi Sean,

The song is yours...thats it really...now you have to deal with how you want it to appeal to how many people and what the target audience is.

Ive mixed a few tracks for a guy who is quite different, not mainstream at all, and hes happy with that.

Anyhow, only you will know when is finished :thumbup:

Timmoris - thanks again. For me this is a hobby. Though I would like for others to enjoy it, I am not overly concerned about writing to appeal to others. I did find some of your critiques helpful because they were things I had thought about. For that reason, I have decided to look at making some adjustments. I do appreciate the feedback regardless.
by seanpeifer on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:33 pm
Black_Haus wroteI like it. Do I hear hear a Queen influence? The vocals remind of Queen for sure and Freddie Mercury was an amazing singer.

The guitar solo kind of fits the song but a redo could be an improvement.

I think the cymbals and hi-hats could be more present in the mix to add some sizzle and the Kick and bass seem to be sharing a lot of the same low end frequencies to me.

It's a very good song. well written & arranged. Looking forward to hearing what you end up with. Good Job!

Black_Haus - Thanks for listening and commenting. Sorry it took me so long to respond, I was gone for a few weeks.

I do like Queen, and it's safe to say that they are an influence. The bridge of the song is probably most where I hear it. I really like Freddy Mercury's vocals--though I don't think I sound much like him--there is probably some stylizing that I have borrowed from him. He was truly a great singer.

I have tried to redo the guitar solo, but thus far it always comes out similar. So I may or may not succeed in a redo.

I'm not an expert, by any means, at mixing, so I'm sure that this could use some EQ work. I'm looking at the mix, with the guys who recorded it with me, to see if we can fix a few things there. I hope to post an improved mix soon, though I can't say for sure when that will be.

Thanks again,
Sean
by seanpeifer on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:42 pm
I've been working on this mix a bit. Most of the changes are pretty subtle, though I did redo all of the lead vox.

Here is the link: https://soundcloud.com/sean-peifer/walk ... -you-mix-8

8 posts
Page 1 of 1