Share your songs!
14 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi, how does this mix sound? Thanks for your thoughts if you listen.

https://soundcloud.com/user-186908625/half-price-gold

Thank you
:thumbup:

Windows 11 Pro 22H2, 12th Gen i7-12700KF 3.60 GHz, 32gig 3600mhz RAM, Asus Radeon RX 6600 Dual V2 8G, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD x2, MSI MAG B660M Mortar WIFI LGA 1700 DDR4 mATX Mobo, Studio One Pro latest v5, RME Fireface UFX II
by sirmonkey on Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:47 pm
The balances of everything sound very good to me as a dry mix. I don't hear any hype... no compression, reverb, etc. Sounds like a very clean, well done arrangement.

I think that your ready to add some more dimensions and space to the mix. Based on what I've heard so far, you won't go crazy hyper-tweaking or maximizing everything.

Sounds very good to me.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by hello people on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:48 am
Thank you. Yes there's not much reverb at all...the usual suspects I guess you could say are going to a reverb bus...but lightly. I've also got the vocal and backing vocals going to lightly to a delay.

Any suggestions on how to add dimension and space? Just get a nicer reverb used more so we can hear it?

Windows 11 Pro 22H2, 12th Gen i7-12700KF 3.60 GHz, 32gig 3600mhz RAM, Asus Radeon RX 6600 Dual V2 8G, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD x2, MSI MAG B660M Mortar WIFI LGA 1700 DDR4 mATX Mobo, Studio One Pro latest v5, RME Fireface UFX II
by sirmonkey on Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:54 am
For the vocal, check this out: www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8N0LlJkzQg

Other stuff too. But gotta go to work soon right now. I'll check back later.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by hello people on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:08 am
I've seen that video, thanks for that. So you think it needs to be thicker? The biggest vocal issue is that I'm really no singer. I used to double all my vocals and try to get different takes to sit perfectly on top of each other...but I kind of got sick of the tidying up work with all the little differences that stick out.

After I stopped double tracking my vocals I started getting into parallel compression...sending the vocal to some heavy compression and mixing it back it...but I didn't do that in this song...maybe I should give it a shot.

I guess I have gotten used to pretty much my voice as it is and just want to capture how it is. I'm improving vocally I suppose.

I've upped a new version with a tad more reverb. Let me know what you think about anything else. I appreciate it.

Edit: Just upped a newer version this time with a bit of parallel compression and very slight 4x vocal detuning on the vocal, all mixed back in with the original vocal.

by sirmonkey on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:35 pm
I would go thicker on the vocals, but not really because of your voice. (If you say "Huh?" right now, don't worry, I'll explain!)
To my ears, a dry, non-processed vocal in a well-done mix sounds like it's not in the same room as the instruments. This is how I hear things, anyway. So, the delay thingy isn't about your particular voice, really. It's about getting it to gel with the mix, and sound like it's in the same space.

For a long time, I was looking for a free or inexpensive micro pitch-shifter + delay vst, and I found a great one called HOFA (check it out here: http://://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/hofa-system/basic/ ) HOFA Basic is 100% free!
I use Studio One's splitter to set up a chain, using left and right splits. Now that I have it saved, I don't have to set the whole thing up again. Of course, it can be dialed in or dialed back to taste.

So it's a versatile vocal-gooderizer, which can be used subtly.

:oops: I forgot where I saved the chain. Maybe I didn't store it as an effects chain. Maybe I just saved the whole song project. And now I just can't find it. So maybe I will just make a new one. If you're interested, I'll post the vocal fx chain on Dropbox.

by hello people on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:30 pm
Sure thing that'd be great. I know what you're saying about the vocal being in the same space...it's one of many things that challenge my mixing!

Let me know if you set up your vocal chain. I'm interested in this Studio One splitter thing...I haven't made use of it yet...is it just a way of doing parallel stuff/ sending part of a track to alternate processing?

Have you got any stuff of yours I can listen to? Do you record yourself or others?

by sirmonkey on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:40 pm
I record my own stuff, but I have tried a few mix contests. Here's one I mixed...
http://soundcloud.com/user-614932437/tracks

by hello people on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:46 pm
Sounds good...how did all those live tracks sound raw? Pretty well recorded? Any bleed or were all the tracks isolated?

About my vocals...there's and eq bump I added around 4.5khz that could be lifting the vocal too far out of the track. Just a thought. I might have gone overboard raising that frequency thinking it was giving the vocal some resonance.

by sirmonkey on Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:09 am
hello people wroteSounds good...how did all those live tracks sound raw? Pretty well recorded? Any bleed or were all the tracks isolated?

About my vocals...there's and eq bump I added around 4.5khz that could be lifting the vocal too far out of the track. Just a thought. I might have gone overboard raising that frequency thinking it was giving the vocal some resonance.

As far as the song that I posted a link to... That song was studio-recorded. It was used as a demo for a mixing contest. But when I discovered it, the contest was long over with. But I liked the song. So I tried to mix it, as if I was a professional engineer, in charge of a professional release.

The crowd noise is primarlily from a Rolling Stones live album. And some of the crowd noise is from a Supertramp live album. And some of it is random. Really hard to make it all sound like a true live song!
If I did fool your ears....as if I was a real engineer ......well then I'm getting there.

But I just tried to put an actual live recording into a different space. And I combined it with actual recordings of actual people in different places and spaces, and times...hopefully in an entertaining way.

by sirmonkey on Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:02 am
If you want the stems, I think that you can just google the terms "The Long Wait Dark Horses"

Here's another mix of the exact same stems (raw tracks)..
phpBB [video]

by hello people on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:38 am
You know I wasn't going to say anything...but I wondered if that was truly live or not...I just assumed it was. That's not to take anything away from your mix, which sounds great.

Do you have a good room to mix in etc? What kind of set up do you use for monitoring?

by sirmonkey on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:37 pm
You got it...Fake Live! For crowd noise, I used portions of a live Rolling Stones album, a live Supertramp album, and a few other sources. It proved to be very hard to nail the audience reactions in a convincing way, and place everything in the same space. But is was fun trying!

* Many things jump out at me that it wasn't really live. But I spent as much time as was enjoyable trying to make it sound like it was in a stadium, or something. Anyway, what jumped out to you?
Maybe I'll try something like this again on something. So I would enjoy finding out what gave it away!

I have a very inexpensive home setup. For monitors, I have a pair of Alesis Elevate 3 speakers.
phpBB [video]

For headphones I usually use a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M30x cans..
phpBB [video]

And sometimes I grab a pair of $35.00 Sennheiser HD 201 headphones to compare to the Audio-Technica cans.
My audio interface is my guitar multi-effects pedal, a Digitech RP 355.
No chance in hell of mixing in a sound treated room, unless I win the lottery or something.
But I have more than enough to learn a few things.

by hello people on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:50 pm
No worries...nice mix you did.

Thanks

14 posts
Page 1 of 1