Share your songs!
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Any advice or feedback is much appreciated:

https://soundcloud.com/user-186908625/put-the-shame-on

Thanks

:thumbup:

Windows 11 Pro 22H2, 12th Gen i7-12700KF 3.60 GHz, 32gig 3600mhz RAM, Asus Radeon RX 6600 Dual V2 8G, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD x2, MSI MAG B660M Mortar WIFI LGA 1700 DDR4 mATX Mobo, Studio One Pro latest v5, RME Fireface UFX II
by scottyo7 on Tue May 15, 2018 11:44 am
Not a fan of reggae music but I like it better than rap. 8-)
This is very well mixed and your guitar sound is sweet. ;)
This has a nice full sound too.

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by Lokeyfly on Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:27 am
Fun song. Works. :)

Btw, like "Way up high".

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Lokeyfly on Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:40 pm
...........duplicate.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by hello people on Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:00 pm
Thanks a lot :)

Windows 11 Pro 22H2, 12th Gen i7-12700KF 3.60 GHz, 32gig 3600mhz RAM, Asus Radeon RX 6600 Dual V2 8G, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD x2, MSI MAG B660M Mortar WIFI LGA 1700 DDR4 mATX Mobo, Studio One Pro latest v5, RME Fireface UFX II
by sirmonkey on Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:34 am
I wouldn't notice certain things about a mix, unless I was an amateur who's trying to learn....

But anyway, I like the song, and I think that I get the theme, too.

The bass to me seems tightly controlled. But I think that I hear overall compression triggered by the bass. Maybe you could tweak the compression on the bass track itself, so as not not to trigger compression on the whole mix (in certain spots).
You definitely didn't over-compress the whole song. But I can see benefits of tweaking the bass track as an individual track just a bit more.

But really, well done as a whole already. Great song, AS IS. :thumbup:

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by hello people on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:46 am
Hey, well that's interesting...I'm a mixing novice and that thing about the bass has my attention...

Are you saying that the bass level sounds like it is triggering a stereo bus compressor or limiter? That's definitely a possibility. I had big troubles with a snare drum triggering this really bad squashing compression on the entire song in another song I did.

I might be misunderstanding you though...like how do you think the bass is triggering compression on the whole mix?

by sirmonkey on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:48 pm
hello people wroteHey, well that's interesting...I'm a mixing novice and that thing about the bass has my attention...

Are you saying that the bass level sounds like it is triggering a stereo bus compressor or limiter? That's definitely a possibility. I had big troubles with a snare drum triggering this really bad squashing compression on the entire song in another song I did.

I might be misunderstanding you though...like how do you think the bass is triggering compression on the whole mix?

Exactly. I would play through all of the tracks, and take note of how high each one peaks on the level meter. If one or more tracks is too hot, you could apply compression on those tracks before they go to the master bus, or just turn them down a bit.

Also, there seems to be distortion on the bass itself. That's intentional distortion, right? Or are you squashing the bass with hard compression individually? I think that the sound of the bass itself may be giving me the perception a over-compression on the whole mix.

Keep in mind, I'm a perpetual novice, so i could be way off the mark.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by hello people on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:26 pm
I'm a novice too...

The bass is compressed on it's own track...probably smacked down quite a bit...and I think I have the Softube distortion plugin on it too from memory. I'm not able to check it out right now. Since there were so few instruments in the song I decided to make the bass fill a lot of the content...so I might have gone overboard with its volume.

I'll check it all out...as I said I certainly had this issue of a single instrument triggering compression on 'Swamp Blues'...it's a messy mix and not well recorded...the snare (ezdrummer) was jumping way out on some hits and it definitely triggered some bad sounding compression on the entire track. I managed to fix it to some extent...it's a song from a certain stage of my recording and mixing understanding (mind you, only a couple of months ago)...but I seemed to have made some advances in recording and mixing since then in the last 3 or so songs. They are much better recorded...with a clearer view of how each part should fit, and I think most importantly, with a way more solid drum mix and sound.

Dealing with ezdrummer and midi makes me curl into the fetal position...so sorting out drums was something I used to do as quick as I could...I never had a feel for it...how they should sound...I used to just arrange something that held a beat and that was it. Recently, I found ways to improve the way my drums sound...it's made for much better recordings.

You could be totally right about the bass triggering master bus compression. I'll look into it...and hopefully won't do anything to make matters worse!

Thanks

9 posts
Page 1 of 1