Share your songs!
12 posts
Page 1 of 1
phpBB [audio]
Ok first of all don't comment on the ssssss'es :D :D A friend pointened them out for me.
i will fix it late on..
This is is the first attemt for me doing a whole song from the beginning to the the end. Playing all instrument's ( except for the solo guitarr Tomas Fornstedt) and drums wich are XLN , mix and master by me.. Lyrics and vocal's from a Soundcloud friend Chris Spruit .
I did learn alot by arrengement doing this track as Chris had alot of input's
Give me some feedback..Bad or Good.
Cheer's / Thomas
Last edited by toams67 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Presonus Studio one 2.62, Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2, Presonus Firestudiomobile, Windows 7 . Intel core I5 3,30GHz 8Gb Ram
by scottyo7 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:39 am
Overall I really like this. ;)
I can hear all the instruments well... good musisianship all around.

Here's what I'd change if it were me:
1. The vox seem a bit low in volume, especially the (chorus?) @ 1:45 up to the Gtr solo and again @ 2:40.

2. I'd mix for a bit more low end overall. I'm sure there's some low-end in the guitars and piano that's in the track but just missing in the 'mix'... and especially in the drums and bass.

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by oliver p. on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:21 am
This is a nice tune, good hook and a fine guitar solo to listen to.
I agree on what Scott mentioned, voice could be louder, specially in the chorus.
The mix is bit drowned in reverb in my opinion. I'd take care about separating the instruments
more audible through panning and use of EQ.

J. Oliver Petry | i make music | Germany
Studio One Professional 6.5.2 | Win10 Home Edition 64bit |
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz | 16 GB RAM
| Audient id4 | Nektar GX61

youtube
by toams67 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:39 pm
Thank you guy's for the feedback!

Scottyo7.
1. Yes, agree. Chris was also into that it was to low., I will do some automation on the volume on the lead vocal.

2. Ok, my mixes are usually to much on the low's so I held it back a little on this one. In my car it sound's quite heavy on the low's. On my phone hmm ok. In my studio monitors a little thin.

Oliver.
Yes it's reverbs on drum's, but I wanted the drums to stand out and push the song forward.
But that's mainly the only thing that I put on some reverb. It can be to much as you point's out..
I don't know..
Maybe it's my age..was young in the 80'ies when the digital era started with digital reverb's and echoes.....

Keyboard's are a modified preset on a Kronos, no extra reverb added, just a beatdelay on the piano.

Rythm guitarrs left and right have a one bounce beatdelay no reverb. "Effect"guitarr is completly dry.

The guitarrsolo is very wet ,beatdelay and a bit reverb to match the keyboard, and two compressors in serial, as I found it very difficult to get all the god stuff Tomas was playing cutting thru the mix.

Ok now I start working on a new mix and master with you're input's in mind.

This is so good to getting this feedback !

Thank you !!

Presonus Studio one 2.62, Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2, Presonus Firestudiomobile, Windows 7 . Intel core I5 3,30GHz 8Gb Ram
by sebastianholtzer on Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:30 am
oliver p. wroteThis is a nice tune, good hook and a fine guitar solo to listen to.

I agree.
by jpsbuk on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:54 am
Nice catchy tune and sweet vocal. With the points raised above addressed you could be on to a winner with this one :)

Thanks for sharing

Studio One 4.5.0 Professional
MacBook Pro (2018) 2.9GHz 7th Gen i7 Processor 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560 4GB with Presonus Studio 24C
Mac 27" i5 with Presonus FireStudio Mobile
Akai LPK25, NI Komplete Kontrol S49 Mk2, Komplete 11, Nektar Impact GX49, NI Maschine Jam, NI Maschine Mikro, Faderport 1, Artiphon Instrument 1

http://soundcloud.com/busterbuk
http://busterbuk.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/BusterBuk/
by Lawrence on Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:49 am
Nice song, thanks for sharing. I agree with some of the previous observations but some of it is kinda subjective, vocal levels and all that. It's pretty wet reverb wise but it sounds good and artistically, that's a perfectly valid choice if that's what you wanted.

Reverb is tricky because it grows on you really easily and you (well, at least I) tend to keep nudging it up over time. One thing I do in Studio One is put all of my FX returns on a VCA channel making it easier to A/B wet dry and/or to adjust all FX returns at once on one fader, to try to keep some perspective.

Nice song man. You guys are talented.
by jamesrutherford on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:37 am
sounds great

amd a10-6700 apu
240 gb ram
64 bit operating system
studio 1 pro 4
yamaha wk-1630 keyboard.
by sirmonkey on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:00 am
Great observations by everyone here. Having listened to this before reading any comments (that's totally the way to do it, if you're considering commenting on the mix imo)-
Pretty good mix...very good in most ways. What jumped out a bit is that the drums are clearly in a bigger space than the vocals. If the current mix was in my hands (just a novice here :oops: ), I would pull down the reverb on the drums just a bit, and add a subtle touch of saturation to the vocals, as well as a tad more reverb on the vocals.
Very enjoyable as-is though. Great work!

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by boudie123 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:04 pm
scottyo7 wroteOverall I really like this. ;)
I can hear all the instruments well... good musisianship all around.

Here's what I'd change if it were me:
1. The vox seem a bit low in volume, especially the (chorus?) @ 1:45 up to the Gtr solo and again @ 2:40.

2. I'd mix for a bit more low end overall. I'm sure there's some low-end in the guitars and piano that's in the track but just missing in the 'mix'... and especially in the drums and bass.

liked it but did kinda throw me back when vocals began( maybe more space and a nice plate verb), drums, i liked.IT was a good song so don't take these critics seriously. If it sounds good to you ,it is good.

presonus 1642.. studio one pro 2.. presonus Sceptre 8.. les paul epiphone standard pro.. Ibanez g2000 bass.. Yamaha apx500ii.. apple imac intel core i5 processor. presonus hp4.. ez drummer2... melodyne essentials , mapex drums ,big baby taylor. persons sceptre 8, presonus monitor station,ozone isotope 7, peavey t-40, peavey falcon, yamaha ypg 535
by toams67 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:24 pm
Ok. Thank's again for all the input's!!
Yep. the drum's are wet. It's a kind of "slapback" reverb on them I don't know what to call it as I did the settings my self. I agree that the vocal's is much dryer.and I think "sirmonkey "has a really good point to take this mix in to the direction that I personally wan't it to sound like.
I'm a novice my self, that's why I posted on the forum. :D
I'm a slow worker as my daytime job is very demanding so it can take some time for me to put a new version up.

by toams67 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:49 pm
Hmm..I didn't see the "bouidie123" comment before posting the previous replay..
I have never mixed vocal's before this track I have only doned my own intrumentally thing's..
Ok "boudie" I think that's the thing for me on the vocals, I will do some rework!

12 posts
Page 1 of 1