Share your songs!
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Desktop mix in a bad room (the studio room in the Soundcloud image is offline). My Dynaudios are 3-4" from an untreated wall so I probably missed the low end. I liked the song a lot so I gave it a run, but I'm way too close to my monitors in this setup.

The track stems came from this archive: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm The artist is Jay Menon.

Don't beat me up too much on the mix if it sucks. :thumbup: I don't participate in the loudness wars so turn it up.

Mixed with all Studio One stock plugins except for a Fab Filter Pro-DS de-esser demo on the vocal plate reverb return bus. The verbs are Open Air Convology.

phpBB [audio]
by Bbd on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:46 am
Really nice job Lawrence. The feeling really came through. I could hear all the instruments very clearly and they were all produced well.
Your comments were good. Yes there is some very low end that could come up. I like how you didn't smash the master.
Thanks for sharing. I take it that's your studio cave? Looks great!

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by Lawrence on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:53 am
Thanks Bbd. I'll have to use reference tracks going forward to guess at the low end. My home office setup is far from a good room to monitor in. Square room, drywall, no treatment, etc. and i already switched a little bass out of the monitors with it's built in EQ.

And yes, that's my basement studio room. I shut it down some months ago because the local people here don't want to pay what it's worth and I can't bring myself to work for what they're willing to pay. Everyone has a "studio lab" in their house now so... it's challenging.

It served me well for many years but times do change and we have to change with them.
by Bbd on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:35 am
Thanks for the reply. You are doing good with your own space now. My studio is a bedroom with acoustical foam all over the place, and stuffed with instruments. I can get 1 client in there but that is about it!
Keep up the good work.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by jpsbuk on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:27 pm
This has a really nice Disney feel to it .. in a good way :) It's not over produced and has a real emotion .. nice work!

Oh and +1 on the loudness wars thing :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing

Studio One 4.5.0 Professional
MacBook Pro (2018) 2.9GHz 7th Gen i7 Processor 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560 4GB with Presonus Studio 24C
Mac 27" i5 with Presonus FireStudio Mobile
Akai LPK25, NI Komplete Kontrol S49 Mk2, Komplete 11, Nektar Impact GX49, NI Maschine Jam, NI Maschine Mikro, Faderport 1, Artiphon Instrument 1

http://soundcloud.com/busterbuk
http://busterbuk.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/BusterBuk/
by Lawrence on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:17 pm
Thanks JP.

Good observation. It actually does kinda flow like a typical Disney ballad so yeah, I kinda approached it that way, going for that aesthetic in the mix.

I tried to use automation to help bring out the emotion of the song, to put a little more dynamic movement in the music and lead vocal, but missed in a couple of spots on the vocal and the lead acoustic. One vocal phase in particular that should have risen to dynamically resolve was the end of the first verse going into the chorus, Not doing that kind ruined the feeling of that transition, it didn't resolve correctly.

That would be on the revision checklist for sure.
by Skip Jones on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:10 pm
Likey!

Skip

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by klypeman on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:25 am
Nice flowing feeling, Disney-like like jp said, just not my cup of tee, but I guess that you know that by now ... Thanks for sharing !!
:mrgreen:

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++

8 posts
Page 1 of 1