Share your songs!
33 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Been thinking about this for a while.
When you post a song, do you really want critical comments on the technical aspect of the production or are you posting as an art form where you are simply looking for what we thought as a musical piece?

The difference is significant.

If you post a song and ask for technical feedback, we can preface our response with that in mind.
If you are posting a song for its own sake where we are just to listen without technical critique, then that is also valid and will help in the listeners response.

To simplify, I am suggestions that you posters out there and you responders make clear how you are responding to the song.

Do you want technical feedback or only feedback on the piece from an artist point of view?
Maybe this would get more composers to post their creations and also get more listeners to respond specifically.

What do you think?
:roll:

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by NikkDust on Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:06 am
I think, a bit of both
by slowpid on Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:13 am
Bbd,

I agree with you. I think it would benefit all parties if we had a better idea of what a poster was interested in knowing. As a composer, I am usually interested in what people think of a piece artistically... did it take you somewhere, remind you of Mama, or make you tap your foot? But there are times when something just doesn't sound right and we're in need of some different ears, so having an idea of whether a poster is looking for technical suggestions, general commentary, or even a little of both makes a lot of sense.

Robert Ryen
by scottyo7 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:40 am
Yep, a bit of both. ;)

I'd like to know how/what my song makes you think of, remind you of or did you have to turn it off. :shock:

I wonder if I'm over critical with some of my replies in here but if I do tread there, I'll mention the issue is usually a personal preference... meaning that there's a few ways to mix songs.
And I try to also state a positive thing (or more). 8-)

Going forward, if someone states they don't want critical review, then I'll sans that. :mrgreen:

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by Bbd on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:28 am
So I suggest to the poster, if possible, let use know how you would like us to reply.
Could be as simple as asking for technical mix comments only or artistic comments w/o technical or technical and artistic. Or any way you can help us help you. These boards are for you the composers and not the reviewer so I think some direction would help.

For you that post finished work and don't ask for anything, I will no longer post suggestions because you did not ask. In that case, I might congratulate on the release but nothing else. Many times its too late anyway at that point. But if you have released something and then want feedback, then be prepared for it. It is so much better to get some responses while you are working on it that wait until its done unless you don't plan to redo anything.

Happy mixing!

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by jpsbuk on Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:08 pm
In my case definitely both, although I think to a greater degree it would be feedback on the 'production'. I say this because I know that everyone has such different opinions as to what constitutes a good tune or not, so sometimes it is difficult, (for me at least), to comment on the 'tune'. I guess if you post for feedback then you just need to be clear as to what you want feedback on :) (Recent discussion in my last post about percussion is a case in point)

I will take this opportunity though to say that despite being such a small group, the feedback from here has been invaluable for me :)

Studio One 4.5.0 Professional
MacBook Pro (2018) 2.9GHz 7th Gen i7 Processor 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560 4GB with Presonus Studio 24C
Mac 27" i5 with Presonus FireStudio Mobile
Akai LPK25, NI Komplete Kontrol S49 Mk2, Komplete 11, Nektar Impact GX49, NI Maschine Jam, NI Maschine Mikro, Faderport 1, Artiphon Instrument 1

http://soundcloud.com/busterbuk
http://busterbuk.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/BusterBuk/
by sirmonkey on Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:38 pm
I would want my piece to be so magnificent and perfectly produced, that everyone would love it, and think it's the best thing ever. I don't need no stinkin' reality! :P

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by timmorris on Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:28 pm
Mmm....this seems to be very remotely steered towards my recent post of our FANTASTIC EP !! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Did I get review..yes I did....was it good...well thats subjective isn't it, we all want everyone to love our songs, but getting feedback here is somewhat different to the general listening public, i.e. most of us are listening for technical content, I know I do, you just cant help it.

The feedback here was good for me, the production was well received, and comments noted for future thought, any negatives were offset by an online music mag review and they loved it and have offered us a Q&A spot in their mag on the work so ....who's to decide good or bad. :?:

Either way, I can say it was a little frustrating that more people don't review material posted, Im as much at fault myself though I do try and provide feedback as much as possible, its not just this site, I post on a number of sites and the same thing happens, you work for ages on a piece to get one person say " its ok but lacks low end" !

Maybe if you sign up for the section for posting material, there should be a requirement for you to comment a minimum number of times, that way your at least guaranteed a certain number of reviews?

If you have got this far....

http://8uddha8ox.bandcamp.com/album/how ... -we-expire

Presonus 16.4.2 - Mac mini 2.3G i7, 16G Ram, Faderport - S1 -3 Pro
Novation Impulse 49 - Yamaha HS7 - Kemper Profiler -
SE 3300 - SE2200 - SE Reflexion - EBMM AAxis super sport - Taylor 414CE - PRS 513.
by scottyo7 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:48 pm
timmorris said:
"Either way, I can say it was a little frustrating that more people don't review material posted".

Agreed Tim,
There seems to only be a handful of us who listen to posted songs in here and post any critique. ;)
And only a few who also post songs in this sub-forum.

I for one don't post a song here 'looking' for tips on what to improve - only to share.
I'm confident in my skills developed over the decades, so I always have the song done to "my standard" and then post it and let the chips fall where they may. 8-)

That's not to say I'm so rigid not to ponder the comments and input... and if they might truly improve the song or my skills. The day I think I have it altogether is the day it stops being fun. :thumbup:

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by sirmonkey on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:24 pm
I always like to hear new music. And when I go see a live band, I like to hear originals. Most covers I've heard a zillion times. So I'm most impressed with those who work to come up with new stuff. I wonder how to encourage more people to listen to the posts in the forums.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by Bbd on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:38 pm
I am trying to encourage as well. Maybe some don't think they have the experience to make helpful comments.
If you feel that way, don't worry about it as long as you can help the composer/producer with your comments.
It's nice when you can say "I liked it" or "Wasn't my cup of tea but it sounded good".
If you are inclined to suggest mix ideas like "needs more bass" or "sounds too harsh", or "vocals are too loud/soft", or whatever, that can help. If a number of listeners make the same kind of comment then maybe its something to look at.

Just think of the work you put into one of your productions and how important it is to get others to react. So try to make your voice heard. Don't be too shy about it. Just comment on what you honestly think. Sometimes you will help and sometimes you won't. You might get better at listening as well.
Much of the art of creating and production is listening to others.

It would be great for this song forum to get much more feedback so feel free to jump in. The water is nice.

Bbd

by alexjason on Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:11 am
Very good thoughts, Bbd.

But I don't make comments anymore. It often seemed to me that comments were not really welcome by the poster -- both good (oddly) and bad comments. Most often I never got a reply. Lost interest.

I concluded that this is not a good forum for actual commentary on postings. Particularly when you look at the much, much larger number of people who listen but never make a comment. Seems that most users just want to hear a bit of what is being done.

-- Alex Jason
by Bbd on Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:17 am
Fair enough but think of those where this is there only outlet (for now) and want feedback. My point is they only need to ask. For those that don't think their stuff is good enough to post, I am trying to encourage them to do so in order to maybe learn and grow their craft.

I have seen the impact a good lively song formum can have and would like to see this one grow in time.
Thanks for your input though.
:)

Bbd

by mickedge on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:58 am
I'm open to any form of critique...technical or artistic....its all intertwined at the end of the day..

Dell XPS-15, i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, Apollo Twin USB, Studio One 3 Pro, Win 10, guitars....lots of guitars..!
by anthonylindsey1 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:06 am
Both. I like the technical comments cause I know my ears are whacked to a point and I am open to all suggestions. Any musicality comments are taken knowing we all have differing opinions. It's all good.

Alesis ADAT
Tascam M 2516 recording console
Studio One PRO 3.1.1
M-Audio BX5 D2 monitors
Mackie CR4 desktop monitors
Presonus Digimax D8 preamp
Tama Starclassic Bubinga
Windows 10
Pentium Dual Core E5700 @3 gighz
RAM 3 gig / 64 bit OS x 64 bit proc.

https://soundcloud.com/toddset4life
by Lokeyfly on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:10 pm
Nice topic Jim,
Shows you care about the receiving end, and as we all may have varied interests musically, its worth mentioning how the post, and receiver communicate.

I always first try to convey what the piece did for me. After all if it didn't do anyting, I wouldn't respond.

The two things IMO that will always win with communication is honesty, and encouragement, but both can be misrepresented if communication is poor.

Does one shoot down someone's work, because they were being brutally honest? There's always the possibility that the one being critical is just wrong, narrow minded, or have their own pitfalls. Perhaps the critically honest points either make the originator aware of some good objectivity, and either fix the work, or respond with "yeah, I see your point, but I'll leave it", or the work is in the early stages, etc, etc.So the key ingredient here is be honest, positive, and provide encouragement.

If one doesn't have anything positive to say, it's probably best to leave it alone. either by virtue of others feedback along the way, the composer will get the drift.

you make a great point that the OP should perhaps state "be completely honest" if they are looking for feedback. Sometimes they are just sharing and stating "here is what I did". Then, the response might be best to left to share your honest feelings, if you care to provide feedback, but go easy on the critical aspects. Again, it's all a matter of honesty, and positioning your points so the user benefits.

As the old adage goes, "If you don't have anything nice to say, best you don't say it".
If one can point to good criticism, such as "Hey maybe you could try adding a little ...... in the background, etc" then one is politely making a kind offering in return.

Nice post Jim, and it's worth mentioning.

Jim (Lokeyfly)

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by toddconine on Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:04 pm
I've gotten nothing but good advice both musically and technically.

PreSonus StudioOne V4 Pro, Faderport, JBL LSR305 monitors, EZ Drummer, M-Audio Axiom 25.[color=#4000FF][/color]
by Lokeyfly on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:20 am
toddconine wroteI've gotten nothing but good advice both musically and technically.

Yeah, but my advise is both musically, and technically superior to anyone's!

Thx Todd, that made me laugh. :)

I think there are "largely" good commentators here, and put their best foot forward.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by zenithian on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:50 pm
I'll take both, and would like to know how to improve on my compositions.

NG
SC
VM
PP
Oh, I almost forgot that I'm on ConceptArt.org. (Search for FightingSeraph)
Audio Equipment: Asus PC with Windows 8.1 that has the Classic Shell program.
Presonus Audiobox USB
Korg Electribe MX
MicroKorg XL
M-Audio Keystation 88 ES
Studio One Artist and Professional
Ableton Live 8 & 9 Lite
LMMS
by Lokeyfly on Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:11 am
Zenithian wrote: I'll take both, and would like to know how to improve on my compositions.

That is a very good point Zen. Nicely stated.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

33 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2