Share your songs!
16 posts
Page 1 of 1
Just had fun to create a kind of reminiscence to the music i used to make in the 70s.

phpBB [audio]

J. Oliver Petry | i make music | Germany
Studio One Professional 6.5.2 | Win10 Home Edition 64bit |
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz | 16 GB RAM
| Audient id4 | Nektar GX61

youtube
by scottyo7 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:38 pm
Oh my gosh... wow! :shock:
That is a quite a variety of styles if I ever heard one.
Nice song, very well produced and mixed too.

I got vibes of Mannheim Steamroller at the start.
The rest reminds me of Tangerine Dream mixed with The Rippingtons.

This is my favorite sub-forum within the PreSonus site.
What a great bunch of gifted musicians residing here. ;)

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by scottmoncrieff on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:41 pm
Well that was one overwhelming smorgasm of styles thrown in there and sequenced together, I didn't have time to question whether if I liked a certain bit or not because it had already moved on the next for my ear and brain to process lol. I was born in 1977 so I can certainly relate to certain sounds and melodies of that era..and indeed the German synth sounds. Excellently produced and it's clear that many weeks went into creating this or perhaps assembled from many smaller projects over the course of a year you started. Some parts and changes I really liked, other parts I wasn't sure what to make of. But it is a track that does demonstrate how talented you are in music production. For many ear's, it might be a little too much crammed all together like this but on the flip side there will be many that like it. I'm a Scot by nationality, but I don't like a lot of Scottish music, the pace and number of changes in your track kinda reminds me of that.

But yeah.. it's another impressive piece from you :)

THE INTRANCER- Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist |- Full Orchestral -Trance - Ambient - Film Scores 27 on S-Cloud 7000+genuine plays | 16 on S-Click | Studio One 3 Concept Re-Designs - Sample One XT | Reason X | S-O-3 Pro | Reaktor 6.0 | Reason 7 | C4D | CS6 |Win 7 64 Bit-Intel I7 [email protected],Focusrite Pro 14, ATH M50's, Casio XW P1&G1 Producer 20+ years - FOH - UK Stadium / Festivals) >>Studio One 3D GUI's<<
by davidlopez2 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:54 pm
This is dope. Great production!
by jpsbuk on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:51 am
Oliver, I just have to say that your production skills are so consistently brilliant!

Really nice journey through so many styles and themes yet maintaining a thread through the whole piece.

Really nice work - thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Studio One 4.5.0 Professional
MacBook Pro (2018) 2.9GHz 7th Gen i7 Processor 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560 4GB with Presonus Studio 24C
Mac 27" i5 with Presonus FireStudio Mobile
Akai LPK25, NI Komplete Kontrol S49 Mk2, Komplete 11, Nektar Impact GX49, NI Maschine Jam, NI Maschine Mikro, Faderport 1, Artiphon Instrument 1

http://soundcloud.com/busterbuk
http://busterbuk.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/BusterBuk/
by oliver p. on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:00 pm
scottyo7 wroteOh my gosh... wow! :shock:
That is a quite a variety of styles if I ever heard one.
Nice song, very well produced and mixed too.

I got vibes of Mannheim Steamroller at the start.
The rest reminds me of Tangerine Dream mixed with The Rippingtons.

This is my favorite sub-forum within the PreSonus site.
What a great bunch of gifted musicians residing here. ;)

Thank you for your nice comment, Scott, much appreciated.
I never heard about the Mannheim Steamroller, but i'll look for them on the net....

Just feel the same way, there's always something nice to discover here on this subforum.

youtube
by oliver p. on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:31 pm
scottmoncrieff wroteWell that was one overwhelming smorgasm of styles thrown in there and sequenced together, I didn't have time to question whether if I liked a certain bit or not because it had already moved on the next for my ear and brain to process lol. I was born in 1977 so I can certainly relate to certain sounds and melodies of that era..and indeed the German synth sounds. Excellently produced and it's clear that many weeks went into creating this or perhaps assembled from many smaller projects over the course of a year you started. Some parts and changes I really liked, other parts I wasn't sure what to make of. But it is a track that does demonstrate how talented you are in music production. For many ear's, it might be a little too much crammed all together like this but on the flip side there will be many that like it. I'm a Scot by nationality, but I don't like a lot of Scottish music, the pace and number of changes in your track kinda reminds me of that.

But yeah.. it's another impressive piece from you :)

Thank you for dropping the friendly lines, Scott.

My first gig with a band happened in 1969/70 and from there my musical journey took me to the presence. My early influences came from bands like YES, Genesis, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, The Beatles and so on - they all provided a wide range of musical style and didn't almost fit into one special category of music. So changes within a track is quite normal to my listening habbits and keeps my interest alive. But, as you said, some will like it - some won't.

Composing this track did not take a long time, the basic structure i made during a night session.
It took about 10 mixdowns, till i was satisfied with the sound - most time i spend with learning and enhancing my humble skills on the final mix.

youtube
by oliver p. on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:32 pm
davidlopez2 wroteThis is dope. Great production!

Many thanks for listening, David - glad you enjoyed the tune.

youtube
by oliver p. on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:40 pm
jpsbuk wroteOliver, I just have to say that your production skills are so consistently brilliant!

Really nice journey through so many styles and themes yet maintaining a thread through the whole piece.

Really nice work - thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Many thanks, Jon, your comment made my face turn red.
I'm far away from brilliant production skills, but i almost try my very best.... anyway, thanks for listening and your nice comment.

youtube
by Bbd on Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:23 pm
Outstanding work! Love it. Just relaxing and listen to tunes and then I play this piece.
Great playing and arrangement. It sounds really really good.
I think the hi hat is too loud! Towards the end of the tune, it actually comes down at times (tone shifting) and it feels nicer to my ears.

No matter. I love this piece. Will listen on the road in the morning.
Thanks.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by oliver p. on Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:16 pm
Bbd wroteOutstanding work! Love it. Just relaxing and listen to tunes and then I play this piece.
Great playing and arrangement. It sounds really really good.
I think the hi hat is too loud! Towards the end of the tune, it actually comes down at times (tone shifting) and it feels nicer to my ears.

No matter. I love this piece. Will listen on the road in the morning.
Thanks.

Many thanks for your kind comment and listening, Bbd.
Thanks for pointing out the level of the hi hat, i will keep an ear on this item in the next productions.

youtube
by pmsezztfs on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:28 pm
Oliver you maintain such a high standard in your work it is hard to find anything on the negative side of the amplitude curve (i.e. -1db). I'm just always amazed at your production techniques. :thumbup:

As a song this one doesn't do much for me personally but you pretty much nail a very vital C.V with this one song. That is to say: you have multiple genres going on and they are all done extremely well.

Great job.

Michael Morgan | pearl hour project
---------------------------------------------------------------
Intel i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz | 16G ram
Windows 10 | Studio One v3.3.1 | Live 9.6 (all software 64 bit)
RME Fireface UFX | Nektar Panorama P1 | AKAI MPK25 | M-Audio Keystation 88 I Maschine 2 | Fader Port 8 ;)
by sirmonkey on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:42 pm
scottmoncrieff wroteWell that was one overwhelming smorgasm of styles thrown in there and sequenced together...

Ha! What a great description! Funny, and also apt.
Very cool piece, and I agree with everyone here that the production is top-notch.
Every once in a blue moon, something that's not what I typically listen to jumps out. This is one of those pieces.

Do you mind a funny example of what I mean? Well, here goes:
When I was a kid, my sister was bugging me to try a Reuben sandwich while we were out eating. When I asked her what's in it, she told me: Marbled rye bread (not my favorite....technically edible...but...eh), corned beef- I'm a total meat-a-tarian, but corned beef was really not my favorite, swiss cheese (at the time, I found it more pungent than I liked...seemed weird!) and sauerkraut, which I really did not like at all.

But my sister kept bugging me to try this concoction, and...WOW! Awesome!

Sorry to compare your work to a sandwich! :twisted: But the point is that it's great! You got a bunch of different things working together in unexpected and clever ways.
Edit: Here's the nitpick: With the 90 second intro, I bet that some people will lose interest, and never have any idea about the song as a whole. I would cut it way down, to 20seconds or so...but hey, that's just me.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by oliver p. on Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:49 am
pmsezztfs wroteOliver you maintain such a high standard in your work it is hard to find anything on the negative side of the amplitude curve (i.e. -1db). I'm just always amazed at your production techniques. :thumbup:

As a song this one doesn't do much for me personally but you pretty much nail a very vital C.V with this one song. That is to say: you have multiple genres going on and they are all done extremely well.

Great job.

Thanks a lot, Mike, i'm very pleased about your kind comment.

youtube
by oliver p. on Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:02 am
sirmonkey wroteSorry to compare your work to a sandwich! :twisted: But the point is that it's great! You got a bunch of different things working together in unexpected and clever ways.
Edit: Here's the nitpick: With the 90 second intro, I bet that some people will lose interest, and never have any idea about the song as a whole. I would cut it way down, to 20seconds or so...but hey, that's just me.

Many thanks for your sandwich, i really enjoyed it :+1

I can understand your nitpick, some people may not have the patience... but as i make music for my own pleasure in the first place i like it the way it is.

youtube
by Bbd on Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:54 pm
Agreed.
I like the sandwich metaphor too! Fun stuff but seriously good music.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ

16 posts
Page 1 of 1